Blind faith

Soldato
People have faith in these things because it makes them feel part of something bigger because their life isnt complete enough without accepting that there is something else out there to give them absolution, forgive them for their 'sins' or give them some reason to live.

Nobody can say that 'God' does or does not exist, but you also can not say that the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesnt exist ;)

Soldato
Azagoth said:
1158629353220yv6.png

Posting that sort of rubbish makes you look like an utter bloody knob. Grow up.

It's not clever or funny to insult peoples religeous beliefs. That image is overused to the extreme too.

As per usual - obligatory "I don't believe in a God" line.

Permabanned
It's about time we had another one of these threads, nearly two days had passed without one being on the first page.

Abscence of evidence is not evidence of abscence. Just because we can't see, touch or hear God it's not *proof* of his/her/its non-existence, and because there's a possibility that God does exist; people will believe.

Man of Honour
Azagoth said:
I'll quote it as well because I think it is very funny and true. :D

I am currently reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and I urge all religious types to read it as well, or will your religious brainwashing not let you?

Soldato
I'd like to recommend Tricks of the mind by Derren Brown to, well.. anyone. He makes a lot of interesting points about religion, alternative healing etc., and he is a former Christian himself. It's also got a bunch of other interesting stuff like memory techniques, methods for hypnosis etc.

He mentions The God Delusion a few times but I haven't read it personally...

Soldato
Zogger said:
I'd like to recommend Tricks of the mind by Derren Brown to, well.. anyone. He makes a lot of interesting points about religion, alternative healing etc., and he is a former Christian himself. It's also got a bunch of other interesting stuff like memory techniques, methods for hypnosis etc.

He mentions The God Delusion a few times but I haven't read it personally...
Just finished that book last night. Brown also recommends reading Who wrote the New Testament?: The Making of Christian Myth by Burton L Mack and states:
I started this book as a half believer and finished with my belief in tatters: once you realise that the bible isn't history and, therefore, you can't point to the Biblical story of the resurrection of proof of God's reality, it all falls apart.

Permabanned
Richard Dawkins comes across as a close minded atheistic fundamentalist (you get extremes at both ends of the spectrum people). Basically he himself has blind faith that God doesn't exist, just because you can't prove something doesn't make it false.

I'm only slowly coming to terms with my view of things, I was brought up as a Christian but stopped going to church when I was 13 as I didn't agree. My current thoughts are that there is a deeper lying reality that we cannot see, be that another dimension or just at the sub atomic level. A world (Quantum Physicsist Bohms work is interesting) where a hidden variable connects things that are apart in spacetime. Inexplicable causaility, syncronicites etc there is a lot more happening than what the current level of western science can explain.

Can I call that blind faith in the other? Arguably, but then I don't believe anything absolutely. ;)

Permabanned
AJUK said:
I'll quote it as well because I think it is very funny and true. :D

I am currently reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and I urge all religious types to read it as well, or will your religious brainwashing not let you?
I would take all that Dawkins syas wiht a bucket of salt! In the scientific community he is gradually been taken less and less seriously. He has an agenda to push and it gets in the way of facts/evidence a lot!

Permabanned
bakes0310 said:
What makes you believe in it that no matter what you see it to be true.
Like jesus and god theres no evidence and when indiana jones walked across that invicible floor what made him do it.
Is it something that you believe in to make the world make sense to you or is it just a comfort of some sorts.

This aint a religion slagging off its just something that never gets talked about cause its against religion.

Isnt the whole point of faith that it isnt based on logic or reason or evidence?

Soldato
Visage said:
Isnt the whole point of faith that it isnt based on logic or reason or evidence?

Not necessarily. Same way when I drive my car I have faith that the brakes will work based on the fact they have done and are designed to. Blind faith would be more like me believing the brakes will still stop the car in an emergency even if I don’t press the brake pedal.

There is a difference between faith, and Blind faith.

Soldato
mrk1@1 said:
There is a difference between faith, and Blind faith.
Good point however lots of people have no evidence but believe things because the people around them already do so they take it as given, it's kind of self perpetulating I guess.

Soldato
Stag said:
Richard Dawkins comes across as a close minded atheistic fundamentalist (you get extremes at both ends of the spectrum people). Basically he himself has blind faith that God doesn't exist, just because you can't prove something doesn't make it false.
No he doesn't. Faith is the belief in something regardless of a lack of evidence.
He has, as do all other atheists, an almost infinite quantity of high quality reproducible evidence which suggests that a supreme being does not exist. All he does is compare this to the complete lack of evidence for the existence of a supreme being. He doesn't preach, he doesn't ask you to believe in anything, he simply presents the evidence that is there and asks you the question 'why do you believe in this when there's so much evidence against it?'.

Dolph said:
Or faith in the absoluteness of the scientific method to be able to collect data on something if it exists
There's no faith in science, and there's no faith in atheism. Everything scientists and atheists believe and do is based entirely on logic, reasoning and evidence.
There's no 'third way'. Either you have evidence for the existence of something, or you don't.

Permabanned
Joe42, his evidence consists of what exactly? I'd love to see it.

Presuming you are also one of these infallible atheists with I quote "an almost infinite quantity of high quality reproducible evidence" (love that line btw) what is your evidence, and can I see it? :p

Back
Top Bottom