Bird feeding

Soldato
Hadn't taken any shots for a while due to moving etc but the other day thought I'd set my camera up and try and get some freeze frames of the fast birds feeding. :)

Quite liked this one although the noise is a little much. Had to use ISO 3200 and 1/8000 shutter speed as they're so fast. :eek:

devon-birdfeeding.jpg

Soldato
OP
I set the camera up on a tripod, preset my focus and framing and then used F4 to have enough depth to catch the birds with. I used a wired remote to take the pics. It was actually taken through a dirty window but luckily it doesn't really show.

Used my 70-200 2.8 IS L.

Soldato
Was 1/8000 shutter speed really necessary?
I’ve seen photos of Kingfishers frozen in mid air taken at 1/800 and they are very fast birds.

Soldato
OP
I tried lower shutter speeds but I really wanted the crispest possible image and with the 5D noise isn't overly bad so opted for the faster shutter speed. Plus I just wanted to try out 8000, there's not many excuses to play with such fast shutter speeds. :D

More?! Well, I just looked through and there's these.. :)

Devon-a.jpg

Devon-b.jpg

Incoming!!!
Devon-c.jpg

SDK, you're probably right - I could have lowered the ISO and used a slower shutter speed thus upping the image quality. 1/800 might not be fast enough for them, not sure - perhaps next time I'll give it a go at a few different speeds and get a feel for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Howski said:
Man that second shot is brilliant. What Camera do you use that has those settings available?
-How.

Thanks, I'm using a 5D with 70-200 L 2.8IS, EXIF is included with all my pics so take a look at that if you're interested.

You could get the same shots with a 350D and a vanilla 70-200 F4 but the 5D does give that little bit more room to breath with settings. Having the high ISO that's useable is nice, as is the 1/8000 shutter speeds. However as was pointed out, I could have more than likely easily got away with a lot lower so again, a 350D has the power! :)

Having the better kit does help but it's not entierly necessary. :)

Associate
Mint_Sauce said:
Thanks, I'm using a 5D with 70-200 L 2.8IS, EXIF is included with all my pics so take a look at that if you're interested.

You could get the same shots with a 350D and a vanilla 70-200 F4 but the 5D does give that little bit more room to breath with settings. Having the high ISO that's useable is nice, as is the 1/8000 shutter speeds. However as was pointed out, I could have more than likely easily got away with a lot lower so again, a 350D has the power! :)

Having the better kit does help but it's not entierly necessary. :)

Yea that is true this weekend I took so much better shots after I borrowed my mates 18-125 sigma and popped that on my 400D.
-How.

Back
Top Bottom