Car refuses to start!

Soldato
Typical, just at my inlaws 300 miles from home, just as i pulled into there road (extremely lucky and wierd!) my car (94 clio 1.2 - dont laugh...) cut out and now refuses to start, it doesnt even sound like its trying to start, just simple spinning the engine over. put more fuel in it just to make sure the fuel gauge wasnt buggered so its not that simple. Sounded fine all the way here, its not over heated, oil levels etc are all fine.

Anyone got any ideas before i call out a garage, gotta get back home tommorow to be at work on thurs :(

Soldato
Rocking it back and forth liberally might be more productive :p

Could be a bad earth or just about anything :/

Have you tried a tow or push start. When my fuel pump went that would always get it going again after letting it cool, could take a hundred metres of in gear to do that of course :o Yours is probably some fancy electric thing, works or dont and nothing in between

Soldato
OP
Well just had the AA out, turns out the timeing belt snapped!! only got changed 2k miles

******* great!!!

Stuck 300miles from home with a fubard car, you have permission to laugh at my expence! serves me right for buying a french car

Last edited:
Soldato
Ouch, how many bent valves?

My FIAT Uno never had that to worry about (before my brother buried it in a wall), if the valve is at its lowest and piston is at its highest they still won't meet. You'd just have to line it up and slap another cam belt on.

Soldato
singularity said:
you need to thrash it soundly with a large piece of vegitation (on the bonnet0

carthrashqv6.jpg

TBQFH :D .

Soldato
silversurfer said:
Owch, I pray your le french car is designed non interference. What were your revs at the time

Doesn't really matter what the revs are surely? Even at idling speed the pistons are moving pretty darn quickly and are going to do lots of damage to the valves.

Soldato
Definitely have a word with the garage that did the work, failure after just 2000 miles is totally unacceptable. Did they change all the tensioner/idler pulleys at the same time?

Soldato
OP
Dogbreath said:
Definitely have a word with the garage that did the work, failure after just 2000 miles is totally unacceptable. Did they change all the tensioner/idler pulleys at the same time?

Probably not! The work was put through by the previous owner, the invoice also had no charge on there, probably didnt even change the belt in that case.

Anyway getting a lift from the AA and i dont even have an account with them! (father in law has there premium acc so just gotta say he was in the car when it broke down) Not a bad service will deffinatly get an acc with them on my next car, well worth it if they tow you 300miles!

Soldato
hmm not good, hope its an old 8v engine or something non-interferance.
Any idea if there is damage?

Wonder if the timing belt was done right? If done wrong it could fail quickly like it has.

Associate
LizardKing said:
Wasnt badly maintained though, the timing belt was only changed 2k miles ago. Might have to have a word with the garage that did it though!!

Im sure a 205 would have been fine though :p

are you sure they changed it or did they just tell you they had done it and take your money ?

Back
Top Bottom