Low enough for ya?

Soldato
Remember when using an angle grinder, try and avoid cutting into the shocks they are attached to! :eek:

Monkey! :p

Going to have to completely rebuild both front shocks over summer now as although it doesnt really make an impact id rather replace it, and you can just do one as when you cut the OEM strut down you need to know how much its been cut by, 40mm is the accepted length but if they are different i would expect it to feel or sit slightly different so would need to do the pair.

I couldnt be bothered to fit my fronts or my rears so found a decent garage who removed them from the hubs, seperated the driveshafts from the hubs, put my front shocks on, did a little bit of crimping for me as i dont have a tool, and hit my strut brace a lot trying to make it all fit!

Grand total of £20, better than thrashing around on the drive for hours :D

My rears will be done by the same place later this week when rover get the bushes in i ordered.

The problem with the rover handling is that little bumps make the car skip, same with the standard shocks, if your partway through a corner and go over a cats eye or something it makes the car skit and then gain traction again and its pretty unsettling, on a smooth road this isnt a problem, but we dont have many of those around!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Berger said:
seperated the driveshafts from the hubs

:eek: WHA!!!?!?!! I needed them in one piece. Not going to be able to replace that at home now and am going to have to fork out money that I haven't got :(

Soldato
OP
D4VE said:
Nice Andy thats just right. Your old car was a bit too low IMO, but the 420t is looking well good.

Cheers Dave :) The front has actually dropped a bit more which has meant the back has raised. Hoping that'll sort itself when I fit the other rear shock.

penski said:
14x7 would be nice...maybe 15x8. What's the PCD/ET of these things?

lol, no idea tbh dude. I'm hoping to get rid of them soon anyway. Got my eyes set on some new wheels ;)

jellybeard999 said:
What size drop is that ?

~40mm

poosemon said:
hmm, that just makes me want to splash money out on lowering my coupe even more now!! DAMM YOU ;)

Rovers of this age ALWAYS look superb when lowered (imo). One of the best mods you can do to them. I especially like how my 220 looked on the standard 15" wheels.

Also got my GBE plumbed in tonight and have set it to 12psi. I wish I'd done it ages because my god, it's so FAST!! You've gotta take it very easy in first gear, but get into second at low revs, plant your foot and you can be seeing 60-70mph in no time at all.

You also get a stunningly large kick up the backside, which is the best thing about owning a turbo car.

Just a few more things to do to it before I'll be happy with it.

Cheers for all the kind words guys :)

Associate
Been a long while since I posted on here but felt the need to :D Looks ace mate, didn't know you had chopped in the old banger for some turbo goodness :p

If your at castle combe I'll pop over and have a nosey ;)

Soldato
agw_01 said:
:eek: WHA!!!?!?!! I needed them in one piece. Not going to be able to replace that at home now and am going to have to fork out money that I haven't got :(
You need to drill out the old bolt from the hub, remove the remains of the tie rod, a basic ball joint splitter and hammer wouldnt remove it so guessing its going to be a pig of a job and then get it onto your old one.

The driveshafts only a large socket to put it on/off with so if you get the other jobs done at a garage they would do it for nowt for you i presume anyway!

Soldato
that looks 'trouble' low... as in, Purposeful low, like the car means business as opposed to some stupid 'decked cos it looks wikkid' job.

what kit is it? like it so far?

Soldato
OP
Smokes said:
Been a long while since I posted on here but felt the need to :D Looks ace mate, didn't know you had chopped in the old banger for some turbo goodness

Cheers Aaron! :D

Yeah, it's a hell of an upgrade. Been out in it for a few hours tonight and I can't believe the difference the boost controller makes. It's absolutely mental now!

Won't be at Combe mate. After what happened last year, I think I'm going to steer clear until I go down to track my car. You coming to the RR in May though?

Karl, I got the trackrod end out of the drivers side. Gave it a quick blast with a hammer and it came out. Didn't they get the old bolt out? Is the lower arm still attached to it? Could you drop it off (or I can collect) this week for me please?

And have you ever tried undoing a hub nut? :eek:

Matt82, it's a GMax kit. It's actually designed for the 1.6 Honda engines which aren't as weighty as the T-series, so now that it's been sitting for a few days the front has actually dropped a little bit more, meaning that the back has raised. Does look a little silly now :(

Still, I paid £80 for the shocks and springs (already assembled) and they aren't that old so will do me for now until I can get something better. Had Avo's on the old car and they handled well.

The GMax kit, having suitable shocks isn't as crashy as the old setup. Seems to stay nice and flat while cornering and looks good. I'd say it was a good buy :)

Cheers guys.

Soldato
Looks cracking Andy, really nice indeed :) I thought you might like ye olde boost controller ;) Do you get any spiking at all with that or is it just with the cheaper bleed valves that you get it?

Congrats though, very nice :cool:

Stealth Edit : Just realised you emailed me back to gmail, sorry mate didnt realise shall reply now ;)

Soldato
OP
Cheers Mike.

I think spiking with GBEs only happens if you have a sticking actuator or knackered piping. Mine goes up to 12 fine and although it doesn't spike to 13 or 14, the needle does tend to wobble.

I've been told it's just a problem with these gauges not having a restrictor in them as it doesn't actually feel like that is missing/stuttering at all.

Amazed at the difference it makes though... yeah, the increase in power is spot on but the noise... I thought the spooling sounded good before, but at higher boost, it sounds completely different! Need to get my battery to boot this weekend and make some room for my big airbox, hehe.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys :) Hopefully more pics this weekend when I finish the final corner off (no real time to take the car to bits during the week)

I take back what I said before about it looking silly being lower at the front... After looking at it in work's car park, I think it looks awesome :cool:

Took a friend out for a drive last night as she was feeling a bit down in the dumps (this is a girl who gave me the nickname Roverboy :o) and after I'd dropped her off at home, she text me telling me how she "loved my car".

So I do believe it's... Typical chav'd up Corsa = 0, Quick Rover = 1

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
agw_01 said:
Karl, I got the trackrod end out of the drivers side. Gave it a quick blast with a hammer and it came out. Didn't they get the old bolt out? Is the lower arm still attached to it? Could you drop it off (or I can collect) this week for me please?

And have you ever tried undoing a hub nut? :eek:

To remove the other shock he just did what you did and cut through the bolt, i explained what i wanted him to do and left him to do it while i tried to find some bushes for the rears, didnt take him long. Theres still the bolt through the hub where its been cut which will need to be drilled out.

Ill be at work on Saturday if you wanna meet me there again? :)

Soldato
OP
How did he get the shock past the notch though? That's the only thing that was stopping me from removing it :(

Saturday shouldn't be a problem. What time are you working? Will start on the suspension on Friday evening so shouldn't have to work on it too long on Saturday.

Is the lower arm still attached to the hub? AFAIK the ball joint on that was ok. The gaiter on mine has ripped and it knocks a bit.

Soldato
agw_01 said:
Also got my GBE plumbed in tonight and have set it to 12psi. I wish I'd done it ages because my god, it's so FAST!! You've gotta take it very easy in first gear, but get into second at low revs, plant your foot and you can be seeing 60-70mph in no time at all.

You also get a stunningly large kick up the backside, which is the best thing about owning a turbo car.

Just a few more things to do to it before I'll be happy with it.

Cheers for all the kind words guys :)

Nice. I reckon Rover did a good job with the long gear ratios as it allows good traction and you can get to 100mph in 3rd which is nice :D

My mates mk2 Astra was useless when he put the turbo engine in and tuned it up, short gears, lots of wheelspin and torquesteer.

Back
Top Bottom