S2000 or Z4 3.0?

Soldato
For me the choice was the 3.0 Z4:-

z41.jpg

z42.jpg

z43.jpg

z44.jpg

I liked the Boxster S but the price/performance just wasn't worth it IMHO, also the "Porsche" image doesn't really do too much for me.

S2000 for me was just to bland in the styling department, the dynamincs were fine.

Pro

The 3.0 straight six is just a peach of an engine and the torque and the noise is just unbelievable. The interior is great, it's comfortable and well put together, lots of toys and the stereo in mine re-arranged internal organs if pushed up loud! The car really does go like stink if pushed hard it will just pull and pull and howl like a banshee.

Con

The only thing I don't like are the run flat tyres which can make the car feel a little nervous on uneven roads, once they wear out they will be coming off.

Compare the interior of the S2000 to the Z4 there is just no competition IMHO!

Please don't buy a TVR, they are **** I have friends that could write a book and the hell that is TVR ownership! :eek:

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Im looking at a max of 17k. From what I have seen, I dont think I can get the spec of Z4 I want for that budget. I want heated seats and hopefully sat nav if I got the Z4. Hopefully test driving an S2000 tomorrow.

How much did your Z4 set you back Headrat? Thats the exact spec I am after. Red leather, black paint, sat nav, decent wheels :)

Associate
Z4 for me too, drove the Boxster and the S2000 but they did nothing for me. End of the day it's very personal so drive all of them and choose the one you prefer

MrM

MrM

Associate
Ok so maybe Im biased because I own an S2000, but, I wanted something a little different.

I see too many Boxsters around, S's or otherwise, and same goes for Z3's, Z4's, to feel special. I very rarely see any other S2000's around which gives an air of affordable exclusivity,and how many other soft tops can you list that rev to 9k? I test drove both the alternatives and decided for me, I prefered the Honda ride and characteristics to the others (may have been swayed by growing up driving my Father's accord). The advantage of a hard top, Honda reliability, and undeniable endorsements from owners swayed it for me.

As for the digital dash - its one of those marmite decisions, love it or hate it. Its growing on me, I hated it on my first test drive, but there's certainly no ambiguity with it, and again its 'different', especially in the dark.

At the end of the day, if you are going to spend the best part, if not more than £20k on your car, then you ought to make your mind up by having multiple test drives of both. The S2000 is a car you will very quickly love, or hate.

Soldato
OP
Hey guys, basically I have widened it a little and will be test driving and considering the following:

Z4 3.0 - I have love for BMW and love the 3.0 engine and styling
S2000 - Great engine, looks awesome
350Z - I love everything about this car apart from the convertible version so will be looking at the coupe.
RX8 - you can pick up a fully loaded one of these for 12-13k, incredible value
Clio V6 - Test drove one about 9 months ago, they seem to hold their value (the Mk2's) and could be a lot of fun.

I still lust after a convertible, but need to remind myself that I live in England!

Caporegime
Stellios said:
If your British then you should be getting the top down in thunder and lighting TBH!

This country is getting too soft :p

Agree with Stellios tbh, a nice crisp December day with the top down, the engine at 9k & heaters on full is awesome :cool:

Man of Honour
Now that Rover is finally dead.. of sorts, SAIC excluded, you cant really buy a bad £15-£25k Roadster so whatever you prefer will be a great car.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
They do a Skyline Roadster? :confused:

He means an Infiniti G35 (Skyline)

The G35 is just an uglier, fatter car sharing the 350Z platform.

The 350GT is a coupe with four seats, there's not much point unless you want four seats.

But no, there is no 350GT Roadster.

The 350Z is the better drivers car.

Back
Top Bottom