Meeting the millionaire(s) tonight! Advice?

Soldato
You might remember from a while ago I was saying how I've "almost definately" got a job doing a site for a group of people who own hotels (the website is for the group of people, not for the hotels).

Anyway the day of the meeting has finally arrived. I have seen their old website, and they've been wanting to meet me for a couple of months now. I'm off to see them today, but I have nothing to show them - although they do have stuff to show me. I'm not sure exactly who I'm meeting - at first I thought it was just the "president" of the group of people, but after agreeing a meeting date with her she said "Great we will see you then". So I gather there's going to be a bunch of them.

Is it reasonable for me to have nothing to show them? I mean, they haven't told me anything about what they want from their website yet and we haven't decided on money/scope of work/anything. I don't really have a portfolio to show them either, but I did a site for them a while back so I think they're confident in my standard of work.

I'm sure they can't be expecting me to come up to London with designs or anything? From the last phone call, they have "drawings and diagrams" they want to show me so I think they just want to sort out exactly what I'm going to do for them.

Then again, they might want examples of how to update their website..?

You might remember that this is my first real business meeting too... I got a lot of advice from the last thread but if you have any advice for me then please tell :)

And what to bring..? A notepad and pen, some money, my laptop (which has nothing on it so is there any point? It has design software etc so I guess it gives me the opportunity to do something if they want). I guess bringing my laptop in my laptop "rucksack" will look unprofessional, so I'll borrow a carry case.

I'm going to pop down to WHSmiths and get a decent sized notepad and copy my notes from my old skanky notebooks into it (so it doesn't look like I've just bought a notebook for the meeting... heh). Also they need hosting, should I bring some printouts of hosting plans from people that I think will suit them..? I don't really want them on my reseller hosting (trying to avoid long-term commitments on my own hosting).

Also this one seems stupid... I'm going to walk into a Thistle hotel tonight and ask at reception for the owner of the hotel (who I only know by her first name). Shall I tell them why I'm here or just say "Hi can I speak to blah please"..? I've never been to a hotel before :eek:

Another stupid question. If they ask me if I want a drink, I can't expect them to go get me a coffee can I? Or a beer? It'll have to be water I guess..? Maybe I should bring money? Money's always a good thing to have.

It's quite exciting really, it feels like it's my first step into my adult life :) But at the same time, I'm bricking it as I really have no idea what I'm doing. I think once I get sat down with them and start talking about their website options, I'll be fine - I'm confident about my interweb knowledge and my ability to make quality websites. But it's just about everything else that I'm not confident with :p

Thanks again for any advice :)

daz

daz

Soldato
What you might want to show them on your laptop, is perhaps some sites that you think match some of their criteria. So they might mention something about a certain colour scheme or layout, and you can then say "I've seen a site like that, it didn't work too well/it looks fantastic, let me show you."

Associate
just take all the stuff you have said about.

be yourself relax remember they invited you up so they must be some what intrested in what you have to offer and seeing that you have done some work for them before they no your standard of work.

be on time

last but least they are only human they may work for a big company but they are human.

people may disagree but this was the attitude i went in for the last time i had a meeting similar to this and it paid off for me.

good luck im sure you wont need it by the sounds of it

Associate
Wow good luck, sounds exciting.
I would just ask for the person by name, they will ask you to clarify probably if its only a first name so you can explain that you have a meeting with the "boss".

If they can't rustle you up a coffee I wouldn't work for them :p. That's perfectly reasonable, I think a beer at a business meeting might not be best for you to suggest, they might offer you one though, but I'm not sure what it would say about you. Perhaps when the business is out of the way.

Associate
Make sure your shoes are polished, and you have a handkerchief. Also try a nice watch, if you have one. Turn off your mobile phone as well! My dad said that once a mobile goes off, your chances drop immediately to 0 - he said it showed a lack of commitment. Also try to keep tech speak to a minimum, it's all well and good around here or your mates or whatever, but people who have money do NOT want to spend it, and if you make it sound complicated it sounds like $$$ to them.

Soldato
Go in and say

Give me you monies!!! :p

or alternatively you could try this one:
Good day sir(s)

I am investeor in people in African country, I want make business better for people. I will put your kind dollars in trust fund and release to you with ten time the amount back. My family died in war and so I seek you helps today.

Good regards,

Mohammid

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at your post, apart from being a bit nervous... I'd say that your main worry is about having something to show them.

Are you the only person they are looking at to do this work for them? Have you already been given the job to do?

If they are looking at other people or there is nothing set in stone I would want to have a portfolio of past work to show. Also I'd have wanted to have made some headway with some designs, drawings, comparisons of other websites, colour schemes etc... just to show them you are serious about their project and that you want to be the one to do it, before they have really given you anything to work from.

It's a meeting so I wouldn't worry about the drinks... they should offer you one and its perfectly fine to ask. If its anything like where I work, most clients will be asking for Coffee from specific coffee shops.

Associate
Be nice to everyone, it's not unheard of for the interviewer to be in the lift with the receptionist or something and simply ask in conversation what did you think of so and so.

Soldato
OP
Nexus said:
Looking at your post, apart from being a bit nervous... I'd say that your main worry is about having something to show them.

Are you the only person they are looking at to do this work for them? Have you already been given the job to do?

If they are looking at other people or there is nothing set in stone I would want to have a portfolio of past work to show. Also I'd have wanted to have made some headway with some designs, drawings, comparisons of other websites, colour schemes etc... just to show them you are serious about their project and that you want to be the one to do it, before they have really given you anything to work from.

It's a meeting so I wouldn't worry about the drinks... they should offer you one and its perfectly fine to ask. If its anything like where I work, most clients will be asking for Coffee from specific coffee shops.

Well I'm pretty sure that they're only looking at me to do the job, but you never know. I'm leaving for London in 3 hours so I better start getting some things done..!

I suppose asking for water would make me sound less confident. Depends how thirsty/hot I am - I sweat a lot sometimes (once I start I just dont stop :() so maybe a hot drink isn't a good idea.

Does anyone know any websites which:
- Inform people and members about their group and events
- Could be completely content-manged (updated by an admin via the web browser)
- Have a members-only part
..? If so please link. I think that's all they're looking for really.

Thanks for the great advice from everyone so far, you're being très helpful :)

Soldato
I am a pro web designer and I would definately not go to a meeting unless I had a paper portfolio minimum, preferably a laptop or online web sites to show them.

Soldato
i find even rich and powerful people get reasonable quickly when dealing with something they know little/nothing about, and are quite prepared to listen to an expert (you dont get rich by being stupid). it's when it comes to the money that you'll get a hard time... they know a bit about that

Una

Una

Associate
furnace said:
Is it reasonable for me to have nothing to show them? I mean, they haven't told me anything about what they want from their website yet and we haven't decided on money/scope of work/anything. I don't really have a portfolio to show them either, but I did a site for them a while back so I think they're confident in my standard of work.

I'm sure they can't be expecting me to come up to London with designs or anything? From the last phone call, they have "drawings and diagrams" they want to show me so I think they just want to sort out exactly what I'm going to do for them.

Not having a portfolio is bad but if they are confident with your work then you got nothing to worry about there. Inititally you just got to gather the requirements of what they want you to do for them. Its hard to come up with a mockup unless you know exactly what the goal is.

Obviously take your laptop and if they require examples of websites and how you update them show them.

furnace said:
And what to bring..? A notepad and pen, some money, my laptop (which has nothing on it so is there any point? It has design software etc so I guess it gives me the opportunity to do something if they want). I guess bringing my laptop in my laptop "rucksack" will look unprofessional, so I'll borrow a carry case.

I'm going to pop down to WHSmiths and get a decent sized notepad and copy my notes from my old skanky notebooks into it (so it doesn't look like I've just bought a notebook for the meeting... heh). Also they need hosting, should I bring some printouts of hosting plans from people that I think will suit them..? I don't really want them on my reseller hosting (trying to avoid long-term commitments on my own hosting).

You need to gather their requirements first before you can come up with a hosting plan which would suit them. It would very much depend on what exactly they are looking for.. Once you got this you can give them a quote for hosting later on.

furnace said:
Also this one seems stupid... I'm going to walk into a Thistle hotel tonight and ask at reception for the owner of the hotel (who I only know by her first name). Shall I tell them why I'm here or just say "Hi can I speak to blah please"..? I've never been to a hotel before :eek:

It really dosn't matter, just say you have an appointment with 'insert name here'. Big deal its only a bloody hotel, belive me you get sick of them :p

furnace said:
Another stupid question. If they ask me if I want a drink, I can't expect them to go get me a coffee can I? Or a beer? It'll have to be water I guess..? Maybe I should bring money? Money's always a good thing to have.

Don't ask for a beer, just get a tea/coffee or something if you want. Take money and offer to pay if you get the chance but sounds like they want you skills so they will be wanting to treat you well and be confident.

Back
Top Bottom