Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 5th April 2007

Soldato
Windle said:
Actually i'm pulling away at a level of 200 ppd :)
aye, at the moment you are, but I have 10 PC's at work all crucnching away on some Biggies so when they are done my WU will shoot up by 10 in one go. Not that I have made this a personal contest because we started at the same time - honest!

Soldato
Thanks for the report, Rich. I managed to keep my production up last week but this week is going to be a bit of a disaster as all my borgs are off-line and I've only got two PCs crunching here. I'll be back at the school on Wednesday or Thursday as we're installing a new rack in the server room so I'll use the opportunity to put the Windows SMP client on some of the clients and, hopefully, leave them on for the weekend. Hmm, 14 P-D 820s running flat out - that room's gonna get warm! :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Wahey \o/ top producer in the team just now (until the schools start back at least).

Got everything up and running now, current list follows:

Q6600 running WinSMP (it's my gaming rig so it's easier to keep it on Windows for now). It's running at stock for now as the temps are bloody silly. Gonna try re-seating the Ninja but I've a sneaky suspicion that it's not going to make a huge difference. I may have to think about better cooling - anybody know if the Amanda tec coolers are any good - reviews seem not bad?

E6600 running Linux SMP. Running at 3GHz at the moment (bit complicated this. I took it out of the gaming rig to try out the quad and intended putting it in the internet rig in place of the 805D but decided I didn't want to lose the production so bought some more of the components for the new "uber" gaming rig (P5N 32 E SLi, PC8000 and 700W Seasonic modular) and cobbled another rig together until I get the rest of the bits next time I'm home.

E6300 running Linux SMP. Running sweet at 3.15GHz.

A64 4400+ running Linux SMP. Currently running at 2.6GHz.

A64 3800+ Running Linux SMP on VMWare (haven't got round to installing native yet :o ). Currently running at 2.7GHz.

A64 3800+ Running Linux SMP. Currently running at 2.5GHz.

Opty 165 Running Linux SMP. Currently clocked at 2.6GHz (never was a good clocker :( ).

A64 4000+ running GPU client. CPU clocked at 3.2GHz (the star of the show) and X1900XT clocked at 662/828.

A64 4000+ running GPU client. CPU clocked at 2.5GHz (always been a disappointment to me) and X1900XT clocked at 650/800. This one never performs like the other one for some reason - it will have to receive a damn good tweaking.

Intel 805D running WinSMP (my internet rig). Currently clocked at 3.0GHz.

Laptop 1 - T2600 Running standard windows client (for some reason it won't let me install SMP - might have to re-install OS but reluctant to play about with it as it's my lifeline when offshore).

Laptop 2 - Pentium M (1.6GHz) running standard Windows client as that's all it's good for :p

Current production should be roughly 11,000 - 12,000 PPD but a little tweaking may improve things slightly.

I do have a couple of borgs but they are laptops which are hardly ever on and I have no contact with so I tend to discount them and if they return a WU, it's a bonus.

Stan :)

Soldato
Nice farm, Stan!

Bah, I'm basically out of the fight for a while, I think. My main rig is playing up with random stalls that I can't get to the bottom of and the fans on my laptop are sounding a bit stressed, so I'm stopping that too. That leaves 2 that aren't on that often, both of which are having trouble connecting through the router at the moment, so might not even be able to get work. Not my month :(

Stomp on in my absence :o

Soldato
Ohh for heavens sake.
Fahmon said:
Project : 2418
Core : Gromacs
Frames : 100
Credit : 500

-- Toledo 2 --

Min. Time / Frame : 2h 08mn 17s - 56.13 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 2h 08mn 17s - 56.13 ppd
50! :eek:
I used to get 300 on that back in the good old days when WUs were real WUs. Ridiculous.

Soldato
OP
Joe42 said:
Ohh for heavens sake.

50! :eek:
I used to get 300 on that back in the good old days when WUs were real WUs. Ridiculous.
I'm guessing something is wrong - most likely SSE hasn't switched on.
This is some form of SocketA machine at stock (I don't go in there unless it stops working :p)

Project : 2418
Core : Gromacs
Frames : 100
Credit : 500

-- David --

Min. Time / Frame : 1h 02mn 38s - 114.95 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 1h 02mn 38s - 114.95 ppd

If yours is a Toledo-cored X2 then there's definately something up with it - check the logs

Soldato
rich99million said:
I'm guessing something is wrong - most likely SSE hasn't switched on.
This is some form of SocketA machine at stock (I don't go in there unless it stops working :p)

If yours is a Toledo-cored X2 then there's definately something up with it - check the logs
Apparently not: '[13:52:52] Extra SSE boost OK.'
Its gone up to 89ppd now. Still too low though i'd have thought?

Soldato
OP
Joe42 said:
Apparently not: '[13:52:52] Extra SSE boost OK.'
Its gone up to 89ppd now. Still too low though i'd have thought?
Something must have been using some serious CPU time then :confused:
Unless you're low on RAM and it's using virtual mem instead :confused:

...or I guess it could just be a duff WU :o

Is the 89ppd the max or average? If that's the average then it may now be sorted and is just being dragged down by the previous values

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Great to see TJC spreading their talents to the PS3 side of things too :D

cheers - thought i'd give it a try, network connection on the ps3 seems lousy, but with a few retries they usually go through. Its also my single folding cruncher (obviously) - though I may give the folding gpu client a go sometime (it didnt work for me when it was released and not sure if vista ultimate 64-bit is supported).

TJC are a shadow of our former selves - now down to the home fleet only due to firewall changes preventing the work fleet from participating - and home kit is not all operational at the moment - samsung hd's being the problem.

M.

Permabanned
weird question, but I need it answered. ;)

I will be running a

Q6600 (Maybe a QX6700)- Will DEFINITLY be overclocked
4gb DDR2 Ram O/C to @ least a 1000mhz
8800GTX

Will this process a lot. I have a **** internet connection (3mb broadband) so I am figuring this may make a difference. When I play CS-S will it still fold in the background.

P.s How much will this pc cost to run a day? I dont mind leaving it on as long as its not stupid money? I will turn the 2407wfp of though.

I am running it on a eVGA 680i and the psu is a thermaltake purepower 680w

Thanks a lot and hopefully will start folding soon.

Back
Top Bottom