Neverwinter Nights 2 Expansion Announced

Associate
Atari sent out a press release announcing Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, an upcoming expansion pack to Neverwinter Nights 2. Developed by Obsidian Entertainment, which also handled development of the original game, the expansion pack will feature a new campaign, as well as new feats and spells, races, monsters, weapons, items and more. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer will be released this Fall.
In Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, players are transported back to the Forgotten Realms shortly after the events detailed in the original Neverwinter Nights 2. Following the climactic battle against the King of Shadows, the player awakens alone and stranded deep beneath the earth. Surrounded by a horde of evil spirits, the player embarks on an epic adventure that reveals his true destiny

Set in harsh, spirit-rich Rashemen, near the powerful nation of Thay, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer will present players with an exciting new campaign; epic levels; dozens of new feats and spells; new races, base classes and prestige classes; new companions; new weapons, armor and crafting options; hordes of new monsters; and enhanced modding tools.

Associate
The game is excellent, though it does have a few bugs that need ironing out and it is very damanding in terms of hardware.

There is a lot of community stuff in the works and I think it will improve considerably as more and more stuff comes out.

Soldato
bloodline76 said:
What is NWN2 game like? I heard bad things about it, liked the first game though.

I think it's awful. Graphically it's poor. Shoddy interface. And shoddy camera angles. But that's just my opinion from playing games that give more or less a free, smooth camera control.

Played it for one day, uninstalled it. Then I reinstalled and gave it a little more time (thinking I may have misjudged it) and then uninstalled it. Wasn't worth my precious GBs.

Soldato
I've not played NWN2 since I bought it :( there were so many bugs.

Have they patched out all the bugs etc :confused: wonder if it's worth installing it again.

Man of Honour
Excellent stuff :)

As for patches, the 1.05 beta patch is pretty good, irons out the vast majority of the issues most people were facing :) Archery and stealth haven't quite been fixed yet though.

Still, I remember NWN when it was first released...

Associate
the first NWN is generally reguarded as being crap. so if anyone liked that they will surely like NWN2 which is a vast improvement over it in every department.

Soldato
Still waiting for the 1.05 patch to go live before I start a campaign and actually finish it.

I savaged NWN 2 (with good reason) when it was released, but it's slowly ironing itself out. But it just doesn't feel D&D though...

But what really interests me, and perhaps persuaded me to post, is the location of the sequel. If it is Rashemen, then isn't that where a certain Space Hamster and mentalist ranger returned to after Throne of Bhaal?

Please Obsidian, bring back Minsc and I might just call it evens! :D

Soldato
bloodline76 said:
What is NWN2 game like? I heard bad things about it, liked the first game though.

I hated it too, but not for the crappy camera angles, framerate issues or bugs. The thing that got to me was that it was just so hugely cliched. It's like they went out of their way to include every tired fantasy cliche there is.

Orphaned hero with a mysterious past - check

Dwarf who loves to brawl - check

Edit - dwarf with a scottish accent who loves to brawl :rolleyes:

Annoying female thief - check

Arrogant spellcasters - check

And so on. I know you have to expect this kind of thing if you pick up a D&D product, but they might have made at least some kind of effort.

Planescape Torment it aint :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Sleepery said:
I hated it too, but not for the crappy camera angles, framerate issues or bugs. The thing that got to me was that it was just so hugely cliched. It's like they went out of their way to include every tired fantasy cliche there is.

Orphaned hero with a mysterious past - check

Dwarf who loves to brawl - check

Edit - dwarf with a scottich accent who loves to brawl :rolleyes:

Annoying female thief - check

Arrogant spellcasters - check

And so on. I know you have to expect this kind of thing if you pick up a D&D product, but they might have made at least some kind of effort.

Planescape Torment it aint :(

True enough, though I've never played Torment, so I can't completely agree.

Trouble is it's only Obsidian that make party based RPG's on PC now, and so we're stuck with 'em. They do like their cliches though as KOTOR 2 was just as bad (oh and unfinished :( ).

They've also just pulled the 1.5 patch (amusingly launched on Friday 13th :D ) as it apparently knackers up part of the game. Hooray for beta testers everywhere!

Associate
You know what being a huge fan of the baldurs gate series I couldn't believe how disappointed I was at NWN series, The engine is just plain poor imho compared to baldurs gate II! (man that game was epic) I think i'll force myself to finish NWN II and hopefully the expansion will offer bigger improvements!
Not even installed it on my 8800gtx yet.

Soldato
I was just dissapointed that the Archer/Ranger class was so poor. I loved my Archer from BG2, they were awesome and with Arrows of Dispelling, any wizards were toast :cool:

But in NWN2 they're just awful, I really struggled to get through parts of the campaign. Arcane Archer prestige class made them slightly better, but still barely usable.

Man of Honour
Lunatic Dreyfus said:
They've also just pulled the 1.5 patch (amusingly launched on Friday 13th :D ) as it apparently knackers up part of the game. Hooray for beta testers everywhere!

It wasn't a problem with the patch per say, but a problem with the program used to pack it for delivery, it caused the toolset to fail, and the fix to get round it would have broken levels created with the botched toolset from working with corrected releases.

That's not something the beta testers would have picked up on. I've been playing with 1.05 Beta for a while now, and it's much improved (especially the AI) :)

Back
Top Bottom