Looking at Audi A3 (opinions please)

Man of Honour
Hi chaps,

I'm preparing my puma for sale. I've had it 3½ years and looking for something a bit more powerful/meaty.

I have had my eye on the A3s (96-03 model). They do a 1.8T FWD and Quattro. Most seem around the £5k mark which seems good value, for what should be a reliable and quick car? They can gain 20-30bhp from chipping, taking the 4WD to ~200BHP mark.

Anyone have one or can recommend something similar? I was looking at MR2s and similar before, but rather keep to FWD or 4WD I think.

I should get £3k p/x so only want to add £1-2k max to that. I do low mileage so not worried about mpg.

Thanks

Soldato
Paradigm, what model of Seat exactly is yours and what troubles and tribulations have you had with it. Frankly i hate most Seats, but yours is a fine example. Im contemplating it as an upgrade.

Soldato
paradigm said:
Eh?

Its the same, EXACTLY the same.
The Audi badge is grafted with a plastic 0.1 grade (Equivelant to the "extra" quality of a bin liner) higher than the SEAT badge, and thus, warrants the thousands extra easily.

Caporegime
gord said:
Paradigm, what model of Seat exactly is yours and what troubles and tribulations have you had with it. Frankly i hate most Seats, but yours is a fine example. Im contemplating it as an upgrade.

Mine is the Cupra R, 1.8T 225HP version. Troubles, none, at all, well unless you count me losing the front splitter as "trouble" :p. The good bits? you get the same dashboard, engine, suspension, running gear, etc as the equivalent A3/S3. The brakes (on the Cupra R anyway) are absolutely superb, will stop you on a dime, and never fail to amaze me.

Any specific questions, just ask :)

PMKeates said:
The Audi badge is grafted with a plastic 0.1 grade (Equivelant to the "extra" quality of a bin liner) higher than the SEAT badge, and thus, warrants the thousands extra easily.

I see you are taking the ****, in which case :p

Caporegime
Raymond Lin said:
Everything but the badge ? You mean

Chassis, engine, interior, gear box, electronics ... etc are all the time ?
Door cards are different, but yes, pretty much everything bar the badge and the body panels are the same. 99% of the parts on my car have a nice audi/vw badge on them.

Psymonkee said:
Not even the legendary Coil Packs paradigm? :eek:

Nope, not had one pack fail :)

Caporegime
Looking at getting an A3 aswell. 1.8t version. Saw some go for 4k around my area. Can you get a cupra for the same price?

Just had a quick browse, A3s are going cheaper than the Leons, for same engines and less miles. They look better too.

Man of Honour
begbo said:
A3s are going cheaper than the Leons, for same engines and less miles. They look better too.

Only becuase the A3 came out first. Who gives a stuff about miles when you pay for a 98 A3 what you'd pay for an 01 Leon?

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Only because the A3 came out first. Who gives a stuff about miles when you pay for a 98 A3 what you'd pay for an 01 Leon?

I agree.

I don't get why people are so caught up on mileage and ages of cars? surely anything outside of warranty period, a good proof of care is better than either of the other two? 2nd hand is 2nd hand in my books.
Thats my take on it anyway. Rather have a well looked after example than a car with a later letter on the plate.

The amount of grief my parents are giving me for looking at an old car when I could have a perfectly near new rep mobile with no miles...sheesh! :rolleyes:

Permabanned
paradigm said:
Eh?

Its the same, EXACTLY the same.

Actually that isnt strictly true. Ive actually owned a Leon and an A3, so I know this for a fact.
The Leon uses the A3's pre-facelift (-2000) dash board, and switches.
A3s built after 2000 have a much nicer interior (better plastics/materials), much better designed seats, door cards, and have a higher attention to detail throughout. The pre-facelift A3s were pretty bad, and nearly identical to the Leon.

Man of Honour
50/50 said:
Actually that isnt strictly true. Ive actually owned a Leon and an A3, so I know this for a fact.
The Leon uses the A3's pre-facelift (-2000) dash board, and switches.
A3s built after 2000 have a much nicer interior (better plastics/materials), much better designed seats, door cards, and have a higher attention to detail throughout. The pre-facelift A3s were pretty bad, and nearly identical to the Leon.

But given the OP wishes to spend £5k or less, this puts him in prefacelift territory so what Paradigm has posted IS strictly true.

Back
Top Bottom