OcUK Photo Comp - Season Six : Round Four - "Close Up & Macro" DISCUSSION

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
Anyone have or tried the Canon 50mm F 2.5 Macro ? Notice it's only about £180 and it's quite a fast lens.

It's only 1:2 though isn't it?

You need to buy Canon's special adaptorywhatsamaflip to allow closer focus. I'd buy a Sigma 105 or Tamron 90mm over the Canon 50mm f/2.5 regardless of the fact it's faster. Much more practical IMO ;)

Soldato
^^ LOL @ the comments :D :D
My garden always has healthy supply of ladybirds :)

Raymond Lin said:
Anyone have or tried the Canon 50mm F 2.5 Macro ? Notice it's only about £180 and it's quite a fast lens.

It's only half life size though so not really a true macro lens (1:1)

Associate
Arsey said:
Wow Tachyon, what is that? Very nice image.

Colin_da_Killer said:
looks like a venus fly trap to me.

It's a Sundew. Thats a close guess Colin as they are both carnivorous plants. The VFT traps it's victim in it's locking trap, the Sundew however catches them on those little blobs of "glue" then curls the leaf around the victim and traps them that way.

Used the 50mm from my 20d reversed with that shot as I don't have a dedicated macro lens. I was just messing around last night & couldn't believe how close that it is. Will take some more today during daylight hours if I get time.

OT: Colin, how do you find the Sigma 150mm? I quite like the working distance that it gives as it's slightly more that the Canon 100mm macro although I'm not sure if it is practical regarding it's weight & ease of use without a tripod. I'm really torn between it & the Canon 100mm, looking at your images, they really are nice so there's no question of how it performs. Just can't decide whether to go for the lighter Canon over the Sigmas working distance as both are very capable lenses. I would like to get insects on the list of things to shoot thats why I'm maybe leaning more towards the Sigma.

Permabanned
Tachyon said:
OT: Colin, how do you find the Sigma 150mm? I quite like the working distance that it gives as it's slightly more that the Canon 100mm macro although I'm not sure if it is practical regarding it's weight & ease of use without a tripod. I'm really torn between it & the Canon 100mm, looking at your images, they really are nice so there's no question of how it performs. Just can't decide whether to go for the lighter Canon over the Sigmas working distance as both are very capable lenses. I would like to get insects on the list of things to shoot thats why I'm maybe leaning more towards the Sigma.
I love the sigma to bits, honestly, if I bought a new system, say canon and had to sell all my nikon gear, the first lens I would buy would be the sigma 150mm macro!

Yes it is quite heavy handheld but it's no big issue really, only gets heavy after about 5mins of constant holding. I have taken fine images holding it with one hand while the other hand is busy holding a prop!

Soldato
A plus point of the Canon 100mm Macro lens is that the working distance isn't too long on a 1.6x camera, so it can be used to produce close portraits.

cmt

cmt

Suspended
Colin_da_Killer said:
I changed my entry again... I've taken a lot of macro this month... I now have to make a decision which is the best... :confused:

much prefer the water drop - its different to the usual flower / insect / eyeball pictures that macro competitions usually end up full of (No offence to those that have posted such a shot :D)

Back
Top Bottom