The 'Hiper-Explosive' Club

Man of Honour
These haven't been out long enough to justify "Standard lifetime".

My old 460w generic PSU is still going strong and that's 3 years older than the Hiper.

For the record, mine was made 11/2005.

Soldato
OP
Zefan said:
These haven't been out long enough to justify "Standard lifetime".

My old 460w generic PSU is still going strong and that's 3 years older than the Hiper.
Thats very true actually. Its difficult to find out how long they have been out, but it can only be about 4 years, so its probably reasonable to say any Hiper psu which has failed at this point should not have, and it is reasonable to expect it to have lasted longer.

Man of Honour
I'm going to try to get an RMA for this, but to be honest I don't even want to use one anymore! Can anyone recommend a replacement about the same price or lower?

Soldato
OP
Zefan said:
I'm going to try to get an RMA for this, but to be honest I don't even want to use one anymore! Can anyone recommend a replacement about the same price or lower?
The Corsair HX520 Is one of the best psus on the market. Its about £2-5 more than the Hiper but its worth it.
And remember that the Hiper 580 doesn't deliver anywhere near 580w, its actually closer to 500, the corsair on the other hand can probably be relied on to deliver more than its rated 520w, and it'll more than likely have more power where its needed on the 12v rail compared to the Hiper.

Edit: And if the 620w version can do this, you can be sure that the 520w will be more than adequate for the majority of setups.

Last edited:
Soldato
not really on topic, but i'll clear out once i get the answer :) on the subject of hiper PSU's failing:

is this failing mostly lnked to the 580w Type-R? as i have ordered a 530w Type-R and was wondering if i was going to need to save up for a new PC in a year or so :D

Associate
mine blew today!!!!! i have a thread in the general hardware section, turned rig on, left room, came back in a minute later and pc was off, odd i thought, tried turning rig on again and nothing happened, then i noticed the burning in the air.

Had for over 2 years i think, can i still get it replaced?? not that im going to use it, just ordered a corsiar 620w. :o

Associate
This is the one i had: Hiper HPU-4B580 Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Blue

It didn't exactly blow up like a firework display, the rear fan failed, also clicking noises which is so loud like you are standing at a train platform... didn't want to take the risk of running it anymore before it takes the rest of my system with it, just happened one day... did poke the rear fan a few times with a pen trying to make it spin again, but that didn't work :eek: :D

PSU lasted 9 months....

here's the relating thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17600952

does this count? I did RMA it and they did give me a replacement...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
bringerofdecay said:
not really on topic, but i'll clear out once i get the answer :) on the subject of hiper PSU's failing:

is this failing mostly lnked to the 580w Type-R? as i have ordered a 530w Type-R and was wondering if i was going to need to save up for a new PC in a year or so :D
The 580s have been most popular and therefore have had the most reported failures, but i wouldn't trust anything they make.
Having said that, failure rates are not particularly high, indeed they are reportedly lower than Seasonic. The problem here is that a number of them have reportedly killed components, which trusted brands like Seasonic never really do.

However, on the scale of things it is only a tiny tiny minority of the 580s that have killed components, so for that reason you could happily run a 580 or 530 for ages and the chance it will kill anything when it dies will be very slim.

But it is a rubbish psu, for example the 580 can barely deliver 500w, and there is still a chance, although very small, that it could kill components when it dies.

You say you've just ordered one, if you can i'd recommend sending it back under distance selling and getting a better psu.
If you can't send it back, you'll have to make the decision of whether to use it and hope you're not one of the unlucky ones (and the statistics are very much on your side), or perhaps put it in a lower spec machine where it doesn't matter so much, or sell it.

Man of Honour
Hmm I see a lot of people stating which PSU they had blow up, it's pretty much JUST the 580 Type R that goes boom like this so there's no need to give us all the details!

Soldato
yea, the most common one that dies seems to be the type R modular 580w psu.

its the 580w modular ones that have been reported to have issues though with its modular connections, on some the modular connections at the psu side sometimes have high resistance which is the cause of most of the failures. and some people have described symptons which i believe to have been caused by overheating, those would be the ones that have the fans mounted backwards.

but yea, overall it seems to be the 580w type R modular units which are being reported the most, even on other forums.

Associate
I purchased 3 of them and have just sent number 2 back awaiting it back tommorow, then I m sending the third one back. purchased 3 all at the same time as everyone was going on how nice they are, now all have died

1st Silent death, 2nd - clicking fan went nuts and made an arcing sound, 3rd Flashbang! Fire in the hole. All 3 were about 12 months old and made about 11/06 - be vary if you have this date on yourees as Hiper admitted to me they had issues on that batch.

For now I am keeping the replacement in my machine as they seem to last ast least 9 months then go. I will be replacing it and selling this one on, as I dont wont to use it in the long run.

If youres goes bang! please post the date code. Id like to see if its a batch issue or happening with more recent ones as well ?

Associate
Well looks like i'm now officially a member! My hiper 580 type r just went kaput after 16 mnths. Hideous smell came out the back and i whipped it out double time. Have plugged it in on its own and turned it on and it makes a strange whistling and spins v. slowly. Pretty dead i believe. No idea about other components yet because havent got a replacement but if its hurt my nvidia i'll kick off! By date code i guess u mean the month and year on the warranty sticker? It is 06/05 - dunno if that helps. What should i buy instead? Also, is it still going to be under warranty? I dont mean overclockers but hiper? Gracias

Last edited:
Associate
An Update on my psu(s)

Just had my 2nd RMA replacement sent back to me, took about 9 days so not a bad turnaround. After having 3 of these fail on me hiper agreed to send me out a few shiny keyboards. :)

Friday the 13th being the unlucky day it is, I got back today and there was an outcard on my door, nice of hiper to let me know they had posted the keybaords I thought. Being unsure, I drove 25 miles had to wait an hour for the driver to arrive to be presented with a single black alloy keyboard. This takes the urine.

I very tempted to take my orginal route and speak to trading standards. Having have them admit to me that they have a faulty batch and all 3 failing were produced at the same time. Maybe this is sheer coinsidence.

Hiper now have my 3rd unit as from yesterday, Hopefully the turn around will be quick and I will get some more free stuff :) At least the keyboards cant go bang!

Associate
neomax said:
Well looks like i'm now officially a member! My hiper 580 type r just went kaput after 16 mnths. Hideous smell came out the back and i whipped it out double time. Have plugged it in on its own and turned it on and it makes a strange whistling and spins v. slowly. Pretty dead i believe. No idea about other components yet because havent got a replacement but if its hurt my nvidia i'll kick off! By date code i guess u mean the month and year on the warranty sticker? It is 06/05 - dunno if that helps. What should i buy instead? Also, is it still going to be under warranty? I dont mean overclockers but hiper? Gracias

Welcome to the hiper explosive club:)

They have a 3 year warrenty on them , so yes ring them on 01908 328 121 this is a direct line to RMA.

Most of them so far have not damaged any hardware i think about 1 out of 17 so you should be ok. My second hiper that went did exaxtly the same as yours.

Associate
add me to the list !!

bought the 580w modular blue from ocuk, installed it and BANG!! a small mushroom cloud formed and that lovely smell it eminates hit my nostrils like a sledgehammer :eek:

all was well tho, it didn't take anything wth it :)

CBP

CBP

Associate
millsy888 said:
add me to the list !!

bought the 580w modular blue from ocuk, installed it and BANG!! a small mushroom cloud formed and that lovely smell it eminates hit my nostrils like a sledgehammer :eek:

all was well tho, it didn't take anything wth it :)

Wow. Instant explosion! You sure you wired it up properly :p :p :p

Back
Top Bottom