"Close Up & Macro" Crit needed please! [No Judges]

Associate
I'm struggling with this months comp a bit, so far I've got these which fit the category, but I'm not overly happy with any of them :/ Unfortunately I won't have much time to take many more photos this month so one of these will be my preliminary entry.
Anyway, I'd like to know what you guys think.

1 Cross processing makes it a little more interesting?
457901929_e482b1bf1c_o.jpg

2 I haven't really used this effect before, and it would probably be better suited to a moving subject, but hey, I'm desperate!
457901881_2c824b7539_o.jpg

3 Petal (not enough in focus, well nothing is in focus!)
457901957_48436ccd6e_o.jpg

4 Needs a crop probably
457886760_ba6946365c_o.jpg

Permabanned
I like the 2nd one of your cat, but to be honest I don't think any of these would be high scorers in this month's competition, don't stress out, still plenty of time to get some more photos. Go out and just pay close attention to details of things and use creative angles and DOF and I'm sure you could get something GREAT! :)

Soldato
Number 3 has a certain charm about it, but definitely needs a rethink and reshoot. I'm all for abstract macros and that could be lovely. Try and get some texture from the petal in there and fill the frame with colour.

You could try focus stacking if you wanted a really dramatic effect.

Associate
OP
glitch said:
Number 3 has a certain charm about it, but definitely needs a rethink and reshoot. I'm all for abstract macros and that could be lovely. Try and get some texture from the petal in there and fill the frame with colour.

You could try focus stacking if you wanted a really dramatic effect.

Cheers for telling me about focus stacking, I hadn't heard of that before.

I can't really re-shoot any of those so I'll keep a look out for petals and little things lying about.

I think my best tactic would be do borrow my uni's 50mm F1.8 and just go out for a walk with only that on (as the kit is dodgy for close up stuff.

Btw the petals were shot with a macro 'filter' thing. Which is basically a magnifying glass.

Associate
I agree with glitch that the petal type shot has lots of potential. I think the daisy is by far the best shot of this lot tho.

If i'm to be frank the cat shots look the the typical "I've over 'shopped this average shot in an attempt to make it interesting" if you know what i mean?

Associate
OP
Ok, so now I'm a bit undecided!

I agree the cat shots are nice, but as Mohain says, they were 'shopped to make them decent. (But so was the daisy you know!)

So I'll stick with the flower I think, it just looks more 'pro'.

Back
Top Bottom