Living at home and paying board ?

Associate
The Mad Rapper said:
From that post I'd suggest you're too immature to live on your own.

Why do you begrudge giving your parents some of your salary? Frightened you'll have none for chav clothes/drugs/alcohol?

and from your post you obviously have no clue about who i am so why are u saying such moronic things!

i've lived by myself when i was at uni thanks so theres your argument out the window!

I don't begrudge my folks nothing, i gave them a fair amount that is reasonable to how much i earn, and how much bills are for me.

I suggest u don't make pathetic assumptions based on your deluded idea of who u think i am.

Associate
Gman said:
any thoughts ???

Nothing really wrong with that. I currently live with my parents and pay £300 (inc. bills but still have to do my own food shopping). They’ve supported me all my life now I feel happy to return the favour. I bring home about £11k after tax, not a lot compared to some people but I’m happy to know the money is going to good use. Especially since they’ve been hit by the pension situation quite badly and are coming up for retirement soon. In fact I’d be quite happy to give them more when the time comes. I’ve just got to be realistic I’m probably not going to get on the property ladder myself on the sort of wage I’ll be earning in my lifetime, and won’t be able to get support from my family.

I’m sure I could move out myself but why? I don’t have anyone to move out with, and instead of helping my parents out I would be giving rent to (possibly) one of the many greedy buy-to-rent types out there.

Btw like someone else said before I don’t mean any offence by any of this just my opinion. I’m just a bit down about the whole housing situation with the way prices are. :(

Man of Honour
Between 12-17 years ago, I was paying £150 month + my own poll tax :eek: included everything, bar phone and no internet access then! (and from when I was taking home at the start £75 a week until I left home earning around £250 / £300 a week)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hedge said:
400 a month

holy crap.

i barely pay 100 a month, and dont people start telling me that i should bla bla, 400 a month would get you your own place in sheffield

True...I was paying £550 for a 2bed flat just off Manchester Rd, very nice. Biug lounge, big bedroom, fitten wardrobes, balcony, garage etc etc...VERY VERY NICE.

So if you shared with someone for £400 you could easily get your own place all bills inc.

Associate
What is it with the english and living with the parents till their ( ) <--- insert average age here :rolleyes:

In this life you have two choises 1. Pay rent 2. Pay a morgage

Unless "mummy" buys you a house then disregard 1 and 2

Thankyou and bye :D

Associate
Moving out is the priciest thing you'll ever do, but you have to do it.

Staying at home when your a grown adult is easily (for most people) one of the saddest things you can do.

What a waste of a life.

Soldato
I paid £200 a month for 2 years, thought it was pretty steep at first and made my feelings known.

I was in full time work though and earning enough to afford it so I just got on with it, I was eating their food, watching their TV and using their internet.

The day I moved out the old dear handed me a hefty cheque, turns out she'd been saving the lot for when I moved out :).

Of course I've blown the lot on coke and hookers now but it was a nice thought...

Permabanned
I take it the £400/month includes food, bills, council tax etc?
I assume you are about 25 years old now?
I am guessing that you don't do much around the house, don't cook, do the shopping or much in general?

I'll make some asumptions on prices:

Gas, Electric, Water total about £120 a month.
Council tax is about £100 a month.
Your food is at least £3 a day so let's call it £100 a month.

Your share of bills and food is at least £175 per month.
You earn 16k so I guess you take home about £1000 a month?

I don't think £400 is all that unreasonable at all, I left home at 19 - couldn't do the my house my rules thing. Who knows your parents might even be putting most of that £400 a month into savings on your behalf to help with your house when you finally buy one.

It seems to me that whilst you have 2 degrees you have a lot to learn about adulthood, responsibility and paying your way.

What will £400 get you where you live? A room in a shared house with the sort of filthy bathroom posted here recently, on top of that you'll be spending £150 on food and possibly a share of bills as well?

Soldato
Big Chris said:
I paid £200 a month for 2 years, thought it was pretty steep at first and made my feelings known.

I was in full time work though and earning enough to afford it so I just got on with it, I was eating their food, watching their TV and using their internet.

The day I moved out the old dear handed me a hefty cheque, turns out she'd been saving the lot for when I moved out :).

Of course I've blown the lot on coke and hookers now but it was a nice thought...

I think my dad plans to blow the rent i give her on the exact same stuff!!

That is a brilliant thing your mum did.

As for the YANK...try getting a mortgage SIX TIMES your salary!!! That'll make you stay home longer to save up.

Suspended
EasyG said:
and from your post you obviously have no clue about who i am so why are u saying such moronic things!

i've lived by myself when i was at uni thanks so theres your argument out the window!

I don't begrudge my folks nothing, i gave them a fair amount that is reasonable to how much i earn, and how much bills are for me.

I suggest u don't make pathetic assumptions based on your deluded idea of who u think i am.

Your posts speak volumes, it's actually very easy to deduce what sort of person you are.

Perhaps I hit a nerve?

You went to Uni and you manage to compose a post with such dreadful use of English and capitalisation? Evidentally that was a waste of time...

BTW - Living in halls does not equal living on your own ;)

Permabanned
Gman said:
But tbh I think theve been talking with a few of their friends and theve put this sort of price in their head, which has kind of miffed me off a bit, don't realy appreciate my financial situation being talking about around the neighbours. :mad:
Sounds like you're big enough to move out then and start your own life.

Suspended
£400 and you think this is a bad deal ?

I bet you get your food cooked for you, clothes washed and ironed and treat the place like a hotel.

I would say this is very very fair pay up or move out.

Permabanned
I was renting a room in Watford in the early 90's and back then I was paying £300 a month for a room in a house share. Nice house though :)
I find it stunning that 17 years later £400 a month is considered a big deal by someone in their 20's who gets his dinners cooked for him and his clothes washed.

Associate
£400 does seem a lot to me, some-one I know is paying that for a room all bills included in a rather nice area of town (This is in MK, Two Mile ash if anyone knows it) and it's far from a scumhole, rather a nice clean house as it happens, and the landlord has rooms usually available, it's hardly in huge demand.

I'm 20 with my own house (lucky enough to have a reasonable salary and my dad as a guarantor) and I must say I'd rather spend the extra cash and move out (no offence to my dad, he's a fantastic chap, it's just.. I need my space!).

Move out, you won't regret it!*

*nb; you may regret it.

Permabanned
Martins said:
£400 does seem a lot to me, some-one I know is paying that for a room all bills included in a rather nice area of town (This is in MK, Two Mile ash if anyone knows it) and it's far from a scumhole, rather a nice clean house as it happens, and the landlord has rooms usually available, it's hardly in huge demand.

I'm 20 with my own house (lucky enough to have a reasonable salary and my dad as a guarantor) and I must say I'd rather spend the extra cash and move out (no offence to my dad, he's a fantastic chap, it's just.. I need my space!).

Move out, you won't regret it!*

Out of interest how much do you spend each month on food, washing powder, cleaning materials etc...... It does have to be factored in because it is usually a fair bit of cash.

Associate
VIRII said:
Out of interest how much do you spend each month on food, washing powder, cleaning materials etc...... It does have to be factored in because it is usually a fair bit of cash.
It does, I mean, I budget £150 a month for groceries in general (though probably spend more like £200).
Then again my mortgage is over £700 a month so I'm not exactly the parallel case study anyway :p

Associate
I paid more than that to live at home, so I promptly moved out (at 20) - even when its ~£1000 a month in bills on my own it was worth it for my own space...

James

Associate
The Mad Rapper said:
Your posts speak volumes, it's actually very easy to deduce what sort of person you are.

Perhaps I hit a nerve?

You went to Uni and you manage to compose a post with such dreadful use of English and capitalisation? Evidentally that was a waste of time...

BTW - Living in halls does not equal living on your own ;)

WAHEY, the classic post. when all else fails insult some1's posting style! you better call the internet police on me! hahaha.

and once again sherlock your powers of deduction amaze me, i wasn't in halls i was in university house. seriously your posts speak volumes, you sound so up yourself its amazing, fact is most people have agreed 400 is to much, cause it is for where he lives, if you had noticed this then instead of sounding like a dope with your original post you would have posted your next post which then went back on what you said and u agreed with the rest of us.

al let u have yah fun tonight and analyse this post so u can see all those lovely missing capitals etc. have fun hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom