S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CPU Performance Explored (FiringSquad)

Soldato
Hey guys,

I just came across this review on FiringSquad and found it to be very interesting.

It appears that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is not only pretty much 100% GPU-limited, but it also doesn't really have any multithreading support whatsoever. Hopefuly this means that dual/quad-core users will see a pretty big performance boost when the v1.02 patch finally rolls out.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to see if it makes a difference. :)

Sincerely yours,
Ulfhedjinn.

Soldato
Interesting. I'm already very happy with the way game plays on my system (in sig) at 1280x1024 and quite high settings. The only performance issue I actually have is an annoying pause occasionally when it loads in a new chunk - usually just as I'm trying to shoot somebody, of course. I also haven't had a single crash either.

Can't wait to see how the dual core support improves things! :cool:

Man of Honour
Well I see ASS performance at 1680x1050 on my x2 4200+ which is way more than capable of playing all new games full speed at high settings inc rainbow six vegas so looking forward to new patch!

Soldato
Ulfhedjinn said:
Hey guys,

I just came across this review on FiringSquad and found it to be very interesting.

It appears that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is not only pretty much 100% GPU-limited, but it also doesn't really have any multithreading support whatsoever. Hopefuly this means that dual/quad-core users will see a pretty big performance boost when the v1.02 patch finally rolls out.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to see if it makes a difference. :)

Sincerely yours,
Ulfhedjinn.
Interesting results at 1600x1200 which is what i game at, the single card test showed the E6300 on top buy a massive :D amount.
Roll on the 1.2 patch

NVIDIA releases their updated S.T.A.L.K.E.R. driver for GeForce 8 cards. Hopefully that should occur any day now.

Any daaaaaaay.....................................................

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Well, as they say - if it looks like Lada, sounds like Lada, drives like Lada and breaks down like Lada, chances are it actually is.. a Lada.

There is a lesson there, so far, I can't think of a single game that would be massively delayed for many years, anticipated by masses AND was actually worth the wait. From Daikatana all the way to S.T.A.L.K.E.R., despite being relatively fun to play, underneath they were all golden turds of yesteryear, buggy, badly coded below par products, quite often with unfinished or open story or rushed ending. I guess there is no such thing as time consuming project delayed by technology, most often it's just damn good idea, damn bad developers with damn good PR guy to pull delay for as long as possible...

Soldato
I think yjr problem with STALKER a9and im on the wrong end of 2 bottles od pinot) is the inconsistancy, both graphics, storyline and gameplay. Someparts are brilliant and the non linear approach is very good but it is very easy to get sidetracked and ending up thinking 'What the hell am i supposed to be doing'.
Started it again as a crash killed all (2) saves, added the 1st patch but dont notice any differences, yet.

Soldato
YooEntSinMeROYT said:
I must be lucky. I've had no problems running this at 1680x1050 everything maxed. Smooth as a goose.
I'm amazed at the amount of problems people have been having.
Aint seen you around for a while ;)
1st prob ive had, decided to re-instal as i initially installed on the wrong drive.

Associate
I have to say I concur with YooEntSinMeROYT, no problems whatsoever with crashes, perhaps the odd dip in frame rate, but nothing drastic. I'm running on XP SP2.

Soldato
I just installed this on and am surprised at how well it run on my machine.

A million times better than R6 Vegas....I turned everything on full at 1440x900 and my 7900GT managed to stay around 30fps....reasonable performance for single player. Quite surprised as most games destroy my 7900gt when i have 16x aa

Still, I want a 8800 or R600...my day shall come soon!

Soldato
gurusan said:
I just installed this on and am surprised at how well it run on my machine.

A million times better than R6 Vegas....I turned everything on full at 1440x900 and my 7900GT managed to stay around 30fps....reasonable performance for single player. Quite surprised as most games destroy my 7900gt when i have 16x aa

Still, I want a 8800 or R600...my day shall come soon!
AA doesnt work on this game.

Permabanned
i run it maxed out at 1440x900 just with the amount of grass reduced slightly, its quite smooth although when im running through forests down roads it sometimes freezes for a second and stutters a bit but nothing else.

Hopefully the next few patchs will introduce dual core optimizing/multithread supprt to give a nice FPS boost.

Back
Top Bottom