Goodwood FOS

Associate
Who's going this year?

I'm trying Friday this year after finding Sundays just a little too crowded the last few years.

Associate
OP
Just down the road for me and I can get a Friday ticket for £12.50 which helps.

Anyone got any tips for best photog spot? This is the 1st time I'll be taking my slr.... hoping that the 70-200 will be long enough on the 5D

Man of Honour
I'll be there all three days :D

Unfortunately the best spot I've found, in front of the Crossroads grandstand, will probably be inaccessible this year because the grandstand has been turned into a hospitality enclosure.

Example

Other than that the run between the first turn and Crossroads is pretty good, you can get up on the terracing for a more top down shot or you can get decent shots from behind the ropes at ground level.

There are some decent opportunities further up the hill although some of them you sometimes struggle to get a decent shot over the bales.

Also, don't forget that it's not just a great opportunity for moving car shots, there are plenty of chances for some decent candids of famous faces

Man of Honour
SDK^ said:
I went in 2004 and found the the bend just past the start/finish quite good. It's worth moving up the hill as well to get some different angles.

My shots here

Oooh, you've got one of JV running his old man's T3 in the right helmet! I decided to pass on the opportunity for that shot - went for shots of leaving and returning to the paddock instead (and almost got run down in the crush too :( ).

Associate
OP
rpstewart said:
I'll be there all three days :D

Unfortunately the best spot I've found, in front of the Crossroads grandstand, will probably be inaccessible this year because the grandstand has been turned into a hospitality enclosure.

Example

Other than that the run between the first turn and Crossroads is pretty good, you can get up on the terracing for a more top down shot or you can get decent shots from behind the ropes at ground level.

There are some decent opportunities further up the hill although some of them you sometimes struggle to get a decent shot over the bales.

Also, don't forget that it's not just a great opportunity for moving car shots, there are plenty of chances for some decent candids of famous faces

Thats great info, cheers.

Really want to find somewhere where there are not straw bails in front of the cars etc. Been looking around on all of the regular forums to see what everone else does. That top down shot is a great viewpoint. Really want somewhere where I dont have the typical side on panning shot - maybe front on / slight 3/4 angle on front.

Anyone think my 70-200 & 5D will be OK? I've never done motorsports really so I'm not sure what I'll need etc. Concearned that 200mm wont be enough due to full frame...

Also this may be a real msports noob question, but do people use flash? Or would it just not work out due to distances etc? If I shot at 1/200 or below then I could give it a pop of fill but will it be just too far away (typically).
Paddock shots I think it would help out but up the hill?

Man of Honour
morgan said:
Thats great info, cheers.

Really want to find somewhere where there are not straw bails in front of the cars etc. Been looking around on all of the regular forums to see what everone else does. That top down shot is a great viewpoint. Really want somewhere where I dont have the typical side on panning shot - maybe front on / slight 3/4 angle on front.

Anyone think my 70-200 & 5D will be OK? I've never done motorsports really so I'm not sure what I'll need etc. Concearned that 200mm wont be enough due to full frame...

Also this may be a real msports noob question, but do people use flash? Or would it just not work out due to distances etc? If I shot at 1/200 or below then I could give it a pop of fill but will it be just too far away (typically).
Paddock shots I think it would help out but up the hill?
There are bales all the way up the track so the only way to avoid them is to shoot over them. The first three places I mentioned that's quite easy but further up the hill it's a little bit tricky as the bales are closer to the track and further from the rope so the angles are a bit against you. You can get angles pretty easily from most of the spots too, up on the terracing is really side on but if you can get a spot at either end of the run between turn 1 and crossroads then you can get a better angle on the car. Remember you get 2 shots of each car anyway, a slow one as they come down the hill to the start and a fast one as they run up the hill so plenty of variety.

You should have enough reach with the 70-200, if you get right to the rope the wide end should be about perfect. Whatever you do don't use flash for the running cars, chances are you won't need it anyway but people tend to get a tad annoyed when they get blinded while driving a million pound car... Flash round the paddocks though can be very helpful, the cars are under open sided marquees so they tend to be half in shade depending on the sun angle.

Associate
I've never been before and need some advice please.
1. If I get a weekend ticket can I camp there?
2. Is 'admission only' a good choice or is it worth going for the grandstand stuff? £90 for admission only is stretching enough as it is!
3. If grandstand is best, which one should I choose for photography and observing?

Man of Honour
1) There's no nearby camping that I know of. You'll probably also struggle to get a hotel nearby at this point.

2) I don't see the point in a grandstand seat unless you need a guarantee of somewhere to rest for a while. You've got free reign of all the grandstands on the Friday but it's allocated seats on Sat/Sun. There are 3 large paddock areas plus all the other attractions to see so you'll spend at most half the time watching the track and there are plenty of bits of terracing and spots to watch from.

3) See above, none of the grandstands are great for photography because they're all covered so you get supports in the way.

Associate
OP
thinking about getting a 1.4x converter/extender for the 70-200IS. (making it a 280mm). This is the equiv of 175mm on a 1.6x crop body, compared to the previous 125mm.

From someone who has shot at goodwood with a 1.6x body or a 300mm equiv FF lens, will i need the extender?

this is where the 20D came in handy!

Man of Honour
200mm on a 5D might be a bit short for some spots - the shot of the Auto Union was at 275mm on a 1D MkII and might be a bit of a crop (can't remember). I don't have the EXIF for the Penske Indycar either so can't tell but I'm guessing it'll be over 200mm FF equivalent.

For ground level shots like the Aston one, the 70-200 will be spot on.

Associate
OP
I'm just looking at the kenko pro dg 1.4x converter...far cheaper than Canon/Sigma and same optical performance apparently

Back
Top Bottom