I want a decent RPG

Soldato
Father Ted said:
Thanks for all your advice, it's definitely helped me make a decision.
I'm going to go with Baldurs Gate and get the compilation packeage.

Cheers folks.

Mine's already on the way! :p I've never played the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion either, so at least it'll be something new.

Level 7 power play here I come!

Plus it's all on DVD too. Woohoo, no more CD swapping.

Man of Honour
KOTOR ticks all the boxes you want... great story and characterisation, easy to get into thanks to modern design/controls and shouldn't have any hassle setting it up and running it.

I've tried Oblivion and Planescape: Torment but found they didn't grab me in the way that KOTOR does.

Soldato
Good for you guys getting Baldur's Gate, the undisputed king of all PC RPGs. That all in one for a tenner pack is great, though iirc when I got it there were some weird patching issues- I think it was patched American so wouldn't work with UK discs. If so, the correct patches are on the net.

I did have the games originally, but I loaned them out and I don't think I ever got them back :(

Permabanned
Lunatic Dreyfus said:
It is good value, but even better if you can grab it from a auction site. I just ordered a copy from 'somewhere' while waiting for the latest patch for NWN 2. Just be prepared for circa. 2000 gfx ( I often find myself trying to zoom in with the mouse wheel when playing its cousin, Icewind Dale 2 :o ) and a challenge. ;)

With regards to the posters recommending Oblivion, I just can't get in to it all. Though that's possibly down to me just liking my fantasy worlds D&D style and having a party of devoted followers.

someone is going to shoot me for saying this :O but oblivion sucked.

Morrowind was one of the all time greats.

*Thinks wistfully back to the days when I would kill owner of a house in Balmora, and go across the entire world collecting pots and plates and other crap worth 1gp and store it in my house* I had like 5 houses fillled with shi*e. :D

Permabanned
Down1oader said:
I dont usually say this, but ***
Its just eye candy with a very boring/poor story line.

Thank God im not the only one.

I really disliked the interface as well.

Also when morowind came out it was more elitist. Course everyone still played it, but it wasnt so commercial. You felt that you had a Diamond not many had seen. Then oblivion came along and it sort of spoled it.

p.s Found me limited edition of RedGuard. Fully boxed. It was in a car boot sale which my dad dragged me to. :D Paid £1 for it

Associate
You can't compare BG2 to guff like Titan Quest and Temple of Elemental Evil, they aren't even on the same planet.

BG2 is a work of art, it is sublime - they really, truly don't make them like that anymore.

Soldato
temple of elemental evil is a bit more hardcore but its a lot more similar to BG2 than titan quest ever will be...completely different genres imo. When i was comparing them i wasnt forcing my own view about the game onto the OP. Sure BG2 may well be from another planet..... but TOEE and BG2 are RPGS which is want the OP wanted so let him decide.
I'm in favour of giving the person choices and then letting them decide not just saying "BG2 is the best everything else sucks" when its clear that is your own opinion and shockingly not everyone will agree :rolleyes:

Soldato
Well the Baldur's Gate DVD set arrived this morning and was installed shortly after! There was a daft problem with it initially not being patched and thinking that it was a US/Canadian version, but that's now sorted.

I've started Baldur's Gate and it's been a real trip down memory lane. As of now I've just arrived in Nashkell, but my ranger still hasn't reached level 2 yet (level progression is very slow)! On a 17" TFT the graphics have taken a bit of getting used to, and the combat is certainly more tactical than NWN 2. When you characters have no more than 10 or 12 hit points each, it makes you think what your doing! I've already been killed by a Kobold :o .

Highlights so far include meeting Imoen for the first time and having a brief encounter with Minsc. But he won't be joining my party just yet though.

Any way I must offer Father Ted a big thank you for starting this thread and so prompting me to finally get around to rebuying this. Nice one! :)

Artemic said:
Rememmber theres always BGtutu which updates the graphics from the first bg to the second games engine :D not todays graphic standards, but better none the less.. it also gives you all the new classes too.

Nooooo!!!. I just noticed this post! I think I'm going to have to download it and restart! :eek: ;)

Soldato
Lunatic Dreyfus said:
Well the Baldur's Gate DVD set arrived this morning and was installed shortly after! There was a daft problem with it initially not being patched and thinking that it was a US/Canadian version, but that's now sorted.

I've started Baldur's Gate and it's been a real trip down memory lane. As of now I've just arrived in Nashkell, but my ranger still hasn't reached level 2 yet (level progression is very slow)! On a 17" TFT the graphics have taken a bit of getting used to, and the combat is certainly more tactical than NWN 2. When you characters have no more than 10 or 12 hit points each, it makes you think what your doing! I've already been killed by a Kobold :o .

Highlights so far include meeting Imoen for the first time and having a brief encounter with Minsc. But he won't be joining my party just yet though.

Any way I must offer Father Ted a big thank you for starting this thread and so prompting me to finally get around to rebuying this. Nice one! :)

Nooooo!!!. I just noticed this post! I think I'm going to have to download it and restart! :eek: ;)

You Sir have reached Naskell far too early. You will get pwnt in the mines. Go explore, do sidequests etc. Oh and get Minsc. Best video game sidekick EVER (apart from Boo).

Associate
SiD the Turtle said:
You Sir have reached Naskell far too early. You will get pwnt in the mines. Go explore, do sidequests etc. Oh and get Minsc. Best video game sidekick EVER (apart from Boo).

Seconding "get Minsc", he has a Miniature Giant Space Hamster as a pet. :D

"Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYEEES!"
"squeak squeak!"

Associate
Surfer said:
temple of elemental evil is a bit more hardcore but its a lot more similar to BG2 than titan quest ever will be...completely different genres imo. When i was comparing them i wasnt forcing my own view about the game onto the OP. Sure BG2 may well be from another planet..... but TOEE and BG2 are RPGS which is want the OP wanted so let him decide.
I'm in favour of giving the person choices and then letting them decide not just saying "BG2 is the best everything else sucks" when its clear that is your own opinion and shockingly not everyone will agree :rolleyes:

OP asked for good depth of story and character development, neither of which TOEE or TQ have. I'm not saying everything sucks other than BG2, but IMHO BG2 is miles better than either of these two games, different genre or not.

TOEE has a very similar playstyle to BG2, true (they are both AD&D games), but thats about the only thing they have in common. IMHO TOEE has a very cliched and simplistic linear storyline, pretty much the standard RPG fantasy fare. Character development was nonexistant - you could recruit party members, but they are pre-created and didnt have any relevance to the plot or any backstory, they were just there to effectively help you kill things better. Plus the game was annoyingly, game-breakingly buggy.

TQ is ok if you like action rpgs (although I think Diablo 2 and Dungeon Siege 2 are a lot better), not much to it other than hacking down thousands of creatures and collecting huge amounts of loot, which can be fun.

BG2 is a thing of beauty - it has a long, interesting and twisty storyline, great characters, locations and monsters, and a brilliant cast of NPCs. Players in your party can be interacted with, you can talk to them and your relationship with them develops according to what you say and do (you can even have a gay relationship with one of your party!), there are loads of varied and interesting quests (that dont always involve killing things, like a lot of RPG quests tend to do) - you develop a real emotional attachment to them, its the only game I've played where I've experienced this (apart from maybe the KOTOR games). It's epic, immersive, enthralling and addictive - to me BG2 is the benchmark for all RPGs. (I haven't played Planescape Torment but I hear it is also good in this sense.)

Enough drooling from me ;)

Associate
OP
Lunatic Dreyfus said:

No thanks necessary, all part of the service. ;)
I've ordered my DVD box set, I'm hoping it'll arrive today so that I can lose myself in it this weekend. (Wife and kids willing).

Permabanned
John O'Leary: What can we do for you Father?
Dougal: I was looking for a pair of handcuffs actually.
John: A pair of handcuffs? What do you need them for?
Dougal: Oh nothing much, they're for me and Ted.
Mary: You and Father Ted?
Dougal: Yeah, we're just trying something out.
John: Well emm, actually, funnily enough we do have a pair. Sergeant Thornton left them here when he retired.
Dougal: Retired from what?
John: From the police.
Dougal: The police? Was Sergeant Thornton a policeman?
John: Emm, he was yes. Why do you think he wore the uniform?
Dougal: Oh I thought he was just having a laugh.
John: Anyway here's the handcuffs.
Dougal: Great, bye now.

:D

Associate
OP
Don't get me started on Father Ted quotes, I'll be here all day!

Pat Mustard: I'm a very careful man, Father.
Ted: Except when it comes to taking precautions in the bedroom!
Pat: You're not advocating the use of artificial contraception now, are you?
Ted: Well, ye......well, no...well, naturally.....well, not really....well, of course you'd............JUST **** OFF!

Soldato
Flammy said:
OP asked for good depth of story and character development, neither of which TOEE or TQ have. I'm not saying everything sucks other than BG2, but IMHO BG2 is miles better than either of these two games, different genre or not.

TOEE has a very similar playstyle to BG2, true (they are both AD&D games), but thats about the only thing they have in common. IMHO TOEE has a very cliched and simplistic linear storyline, pretty much the standard RPG fantasy fare. Character development was nonexistant - you could recruit party members, but they are pre-created and didnt have any relevance to the plot or any backstory, they were just there to effectively help you kill things better. Plus the game was annoyingly, game-breakingly buggy.

TQ is ok if you like action rpgs (although I think Diablo 2 and Dungeon Siege 2 are a lot better), not much to it other than hacking down thousands of creatures and collecting huge amounts of loot, which can be fun.

BG2 is a thing of beauty - it has a long, interesting and twisty storyline, great characters, locations and monsters, and a brilliant cast of NPCs. Players in your party can be interacted with, you can talk to them and your relationship with them develops according to what you say and do (you can even have a gay relationship with one of your party!), there are loads of varied and interesting quests (that dont always involve killing things, like a lot of RPG quests tend to do) - you develop a real emotional attachment to them, its the only game I've played where I've experienced this (apart from maybe the KOTOR games). It's epic, immersive, enthralling and addictive - to me BG2 is the benchmark for all RPGs. (I haven't played Planescape Torment but I hear it is also good in this sense.)

Enough drooling from me ;)

Oh yeah obviously i'm not saying that TQ or TOEE are better than BG2, just that there are other options as well. (and tbh whether you like a game or not or whether you think the story is great is all subjective) I havent completed bg2(with TOB) maybe thats why im less in awe of it? :o

Yeah Planescape Torment is a bit like this (ie character development) But youve made me want to go home and play BG2 now!!

I ve completed Planescape Torment and that was fabulous really... especially the characters (esp Mort a flying skull for a party member :D he had great special attacks as well)

I would love to see a re-development of Planescape Torment with a more modern graphics engine maybe but with the same excellent story.

Permabanned
Does anyone know of any games like

!. Morrowind (See earlier post "I dont like oblivion"
2. Deus Ex (played 2nd one)
3. Vampire The masquerade: Bloodlines. -That was a sweet ass game

spoiler:

:rolleyes: Dont look

:In VTMB you know the end sequencee whn there is a box filled with bombs", is that the only ending you can have?

That really was a sweet game

Soldato
to l33t-krew

Yes theres a few different endings (depending on which side you go with). I'm guessing you chose to open the casket yourself heh :D

Associate
Morrowind gets my vote as the best. Closely followed by ff7.
Never played any BG games. NWN is ok. Oblivion is a little boring tbh as the land scape doesnt change much and apart from looking amazing, aint that intresting. im hoping Shivering isles might fix this.

Back
Top Bottom