• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E6420 has arrived

Associate
it arrived yesterday, but I've not had chance to fit it yet. It's going in tonight. Either on the standard cooler or an SI-128.
Ive got an Abit QuadGTboard. Hoping to get a nice clock from it :D

Has anybody else got there's fitted and seen how far they can go?>

Mike

Suspended
I don't fancy overclocking as it is hassle and instability in the long run no? However, am I right in thinking that this chip is the best 'bang for buck' right now?

Also, am I silly for not wanting to overclock, I did dabble and had some good results, but it just felt wrong, like I was stressing the **** out of my kit, and that it would undoubtedly cause crashes and trouble. Nearly all computers crash, and when mine did rarely I thought it was cause of the OC. How long running 'prime stable' is STABLE?

Many Thanks

Good luck clocking your chip man!

Soldato
MikeOCUK said:
it arrived yesterday, but I've not had chance to fit it yet. It's going in tonight. Either on the standard cooler or an SI-128.
Ive got an Abit QuadGTboard. Hoping to get a nice clock from it :D

Has anybody else got there's fitted and seen how far they can go?>

Mike

congrats..let us know the results. What are you switching from?

Associate
OP
iv just gone from an Intel 820 dual core to the E6420

On my QuadGT board, with 2gb of ballastix PC5400,

ive crept it up to 400 x 8 @ 1.5v, DDR2 voltage is 1.95v.

It idles at 24C and seems to go no higher than 35C at full load (using SI-128 cooler with akasa fan).

I need to have a good mess about and find the safe voltages before i push it further., But its getting a similar score in sisoft sandra to the bottom end quad cores!!! well above the e6700 score

Soldato
very nice....what are you using to monitor temps? THose seem pretty low for 3.2ghz and 4mb cache. As for voltage limits, personally I'd be nervous over 1.525-1.55 on air for 24/7 usage but it's really down to how much you want to fret over it. ;)

Associate
OP
sorry guys, posted wrong temps, those were atr just above stock speed.

@ 400 x 8, i got 27C at idle, and 45C at full load after running orthos for 25mins.

temps monitored using Abit Guru (new version)

I managed 385 x 8 without upping the core voltage at all, but it wouldnt post at 400 x 8 until i upped the voltage a touch.

C64

C64

Soldato
I'd use intel tat or coretemp m8 seem to be the only mildy accurate readers.
Bios and mboard apps seems to be always lower.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Antecer said:
I don't fancy overclocking as it is hassle and instability in the long run no?

You're absolutely right, it increases the chance of your house exploding and has been known to reduce the life-expectancey of the CPU from 20 years to 15 years.

Anyway these CPU's look quite nice... may be tempted to build a cheapish HTPC with one.

Caporegime
Big.Wayne said:
Of course your joking right? thing is I don't see an emote so its hard to tell :)

If your serious, then please explain?

Ok, as you overclock the CPU it increases the chance of the chip catching fire... which can happen when electrodes reach a certain temperature. That's why I reccommend people don't overclock unless then need the extra power, or are fully away of the consequences of doing so. And as for my other comment, when I buy a CPU I want it to last at least 20 years... overclocking it will shorten that lifespan to 15 years. Which is no good to me.

Soldato
Richdog said:
Ok, as you overclock the CPU it increases the chance of the chip catching fire... which can happen when electrodes reach a certain temperature. That's why I reccommend people don't overclock unless then need the extra power, or are fully away of the consequences of doing so. And as for my other comment, when I buy a CPU I want it to last at least 20 years... overclocking it will shorten that lifespan to 15 years. Which is no good to me.

Overvolting will reduce the lifespan, even if cooled with Phase etc.., but nothing detrimental if not gone overboard with the volts, unless its a first Gen Northwood :p And as to cpus catching fire? LOL. You want a cpu to last 20yrs? Planning a museum?

Back
Top Bottom