Circular Polarizing

Associate
Hi,

I am going to do be doing a lot of shooting in the maldives in a few weeks and need a Circular Polarizing for my 67mm canon 17-85 IS USM.

I was looking at the hoya filters and man are they expensive. I had a look at other but i could either not find them or they were as expensive. anyone know of a make and maybe a web location that i could buy from that are not so expensive.

Thanks

Soldato
Justin said:
I got one with a UV filter for £8 inc delivery :)

£8 for both?!?!?

Goes shopping... :D

Cheapest I can find is £10 inc del for a 72mm circ. polariser. Not quite so bargainous. Might as well save a few extra readies and get a Kood one later on.

Last edited:
Associate
From under the hammer; 72 mm Circ Pola, Kenko Pro1D £35 delivered.

Directly equivalent Hoya model on a well known e-retailer, £135.

Well worth the pennies for the ultra slim dark framed model over the cheaper/unbranded variants, methinks.....

Soldato
Sorry to hijack your thread but presume that filters fit all camera's, it's just the diameter you have to worry about?

For example, if I just see a filter advertised as a 52mm Circular Polarizing filter, then I can be fairly confident it will fit the kit lens on my Nikon D40?

Associate
rpstewart said:
Kenko filters I believe are made by Hoya for the Japanese market. Same stuff but much cheaper.

Are you sure of this? I think the Hoya branded filters have a much better coating. I tend to be of the opinion that you get what you pay for, I put a standard hoya on my 50mm and it ruined a whole set of pictures due to flare.

The S-HMC filters that I bought for my 10-22 and 70-200 seem to hold up very well.

Just a word of warning really, it may seem like a bargain until you get pictures back with either low contrast, nasty flare or a lack of sharpness.

Take a look:
http://www.kenandchristine.com/gallery/1054387/1

Associate
I'm under the same understanding as rpstewart; the Kenko Pro1D filters are DMC coated like the Hoya ones. The Kenko/Hoya/Tokina websites do infer they all coem from the same factory.

Just need to be sure you're comparing like-for-like across the different qualities in their ranges.

Soldato
With filters you tend to get what you pay for (as said by Sleepyd above). Extra £ brings better coatings. Buying an expensive lens and slapping on a cheap filter is a bit of a false economy.

Saying that, I have some crappy Tiffen ones and I need to replace them soon.

Back
Top Bottom