New Business Idea for PC Games, Feedback Appreciated

Soldato
I entirely agree with the consensus that this buisness model is never goinig to work.

Firstly, getting hold of games at competitive prices is practically impossible - selling PC games is a massive buisness and plenty of people can get things cheaper than you can ever do. By accepting no profit at all, you might just about stay competitive, but only just. Secondly, think about your target market. Before putting any effort into this find out who exactly would buy from you.

A typical gamer? Why wouldn't they go to the shops and buy a real copy, or buy from the many online places that already sell games to download? Given that they'd also be trusting you (a complete stranger) with their CD key (wouldn't you be suspicious that you were using the same one more than once?), they'd expect it to be massively cheaper than buying elsewhere. A £3 saving isn't going to cut it. Plus, how do they get the game? By breaking the law and downloading it illegally? You can't encourage that or you'd be shut down in no time (even if you don't already get complaints for selling keys seperately).

Someone who already has the game but has lost the key? They won't spend masses on buying a potentially questionable CD key from you when they could go to the shops for it, or get a free replacement. Plus, this is a tiny number of people anyway.

Someone who's otherwise a pirate and has downloaded the game but wants to "go legal"? You're no good, because they're still breaking the law by downloading the game illegally. A pirate who can't get it to work without buying your key (or decides he wants to play online?) - pirates are used to getting something for nothing, they won't pay much online to a random stranger.

Essentially, trying to set up a website like this would make you look like a scam artist, even if you're not, you'd be shut down in no time, and no one would buy anything from you anyway. In short I think it would be pretty much a complete failure. Whatever you do don't waste money buying stock (which after all you'd have to do - if you want to offer a range of games, and you think you can get good "bulk" prices, I imagine you'd be talking about spending hundreds or thousands of pounds)

AdladUK said:
So according to this thread I'm:

- Arrogant
- Stupid
- A piracy advocater
- Have a business idea that WILL fail

And should be banned.

Thanks a lot guys, not sure why I even bothered coming here for feedback

People shouldn't be giving personal insults - but on the last two, they're right. I don't see how you could do this without encouraging piracy (ie. downloading a game somewhere - you having a copy of the game lying around doesn't change anything), plus I too am convinced that the idea will fail. It's not the feedback you wanted, but it is feedback, and I strongly suggest you take it into account!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
PinkPig said:
I entirely agree with the consensus that this buisness model is never goinig to work.

OK well thank you for your post and time. You have definitely given me some angles to think on.

Cheers m8 :p

Man of Honour
I don't buy it (teehee).

Why would people want to pay all this money just for a serial when they could just order the full game over the internet for £17.99 or whatever? OK so they have to wait a couple of days for delivery but that's no biggie.

yes you are being arrogant and stupid.

Your first post:

AdladUK said:
What do you guys think of this? Is it something you may be interested in?

We all say no we wouldnt be interested, we think its a bad idea, heres why...etc

Then you completely ignore what every single person has said in this thread and seem to still think it will work, based on what? what you'd want?

Why not just sell the whole game at the same price you would the serial, still giving you £3/4 profit minus delivery, but atleast you will be to a huge market.

Also you say to pass the legal issues you just say its for people that have had there dog chew up the manual? So you really think that the legal checking people (dont know correct name) are going to belive this? there is absolutely no market for people who have had there dogs chew the manual and then can't wait until tmorrow to go get a name manual form the store, and then when they see you selling loads of serials going to be a bit suspicious isn't it?

Hope you understood this, although i wrote it kind of badly others have wrote it making perfect sense and you still haven't understand, so sorry if you can't understand

[edit]

btw im pretty upset at the moment, you seem to make a million posts which could have all been in one post quoting just about everyones repsonse except mine :( See what i just did i used the edit button to add this rather then make a whole new post

Last edited:
Associate
never going to happen, stupid idea. companies already sell games to download so thats the nearest legal thing to what your trying to achieve and its already been done.

Associate
I don't see any chance of it working.

You won't be able to buy the games for the same prices as the big retailers. They buy 10's of times the amount you can even hope for so will get better prices.

Nobody will just buy a serial when they can get a full retail version for a couple of £ extra (if you could get hold of the games cheap enough). They will still need to use no-cd hacks so will run into trouble installing updates as they still have to use a dodgy version of the game.

Game companies won't allow it. If your idea did work you'll be promoting people to download games using illegal torrents. This will make illegal copies of the game easier to get hold, which the software industry is trying to prevent.

Associate
You don't have to download a warez version of the game, you could borrow the discs off a mate or something. Although are you going to be supplying no-cd cracks along with the serial?

Associate
This idea could work if a major game publisher was behind it. Say they release a full game (via torrent networks and sites like gamershell) that is crippled to be demo only until a serial number is put into it. They could sell serial numbers to resellers who then sell them to the public. Without manufacturing costs, the game could be a lot cheaper (£10-20), and people can try before they buy. It's not to dissimilar from direct2drive and could work but I can't see it happening as a start up business.

It would also be good for the environment, no more cds that take 10000 years to decompose!!

Associate
and how about games that require an original exe files to play, as you need the latest updates..

Their "backup" discs arent going to even work online.

So theres a few of your games out the picture, as well as having to test a copy of the game, you cant just order one at the right price so you are turned to getting your discs from elsewhere "i wonder how?" and test out the playability with backup discs.

Theres more of the profit margins down, along with much more time.

ps: sorry if this is a bit critical, but just picking out potential faults.

Soldato
Can't see this as a very good idea at all really. Still have to download the game illegally. Pretty sure no publisher out there will encourage people to download their games illegally like your suggesting.

Sites that currently provide a service like this, ie www.shatteredcrystal.com only do so for games that have a legal client download available, for example you can download EVE Online direct from the EVE Online website.

Any other site that provides someone with an electronic form of a game provides a download too. With this in mind and with legalities aside, why would anyone just buy a serial when they could get the entire game legally just as fast if not faster and probably a fair bit cheaper than you could do it for. Pointless in my opinion when you can get a fully working game that doesn't need cracks to run etc. :confused:

Crazy idea with absolutely no chance of ever working!

Last edited:
Suspended
AdladUK said:
If that's the way you feel about my responses then maybe you should not even bother posting in the thread?

I appreciate the time and views of everyone. Just because I try to answer them doesn't mean I'm being some arrogant fool with tunnel vision.

Otherwise what would be the point in me posting the thread in the first place?

your not answering them though, nor are you listening. You posted this thread in the hope that everyone would write things like "cool idea, your going to be rish!". You wanted backup and i doubt that for one second people would turn around and say "no, pants idea, sorry mate!".

My 'head against wall' comment was based on the fact that no matter what people said you came back with the same arguement to back up your original idea. If you had of taken peoples views on board and said "hmm, maybe your right about that but what if i......" then i wouldnt of posted that comment, and that should also of been the purpose of this thread.

As has been said, best way this could work is if you provide electronic download and email serial key for full shop price, and then post the CD, manual and box to the user. Now this would be a service that i would be interested in, i hate buying over-priced downloads (steam for instance) and having nothing in my hands to show for it.

Man of Honour
jim5000 said:
This idea could work if a major game publisher was behind it. Say they release a full game (via torrent networks and sites like gamershell) that is crippled to be demo only until a serial number is put into it. They could sell serial numbers to resellers who then sell them to the public. Without manufacturing costs, the game could be a lot cheaper (£10-20), and people can try before they buy. It's not to dissimilar from direct2drive and could work but I can't see it happening as a start up business.

It would also be good for the environment, no more cds that take 10000 years to decompose!!

What you are describing has been done before with some shareware titles I believe.

Associate
Maybe start off on Ebay selling all the latest games. If you can get them at wholesale prices like you think then selling them here for a little less than retail is sure to attract those people who don't/can't go and purchase the games themselves.

If this is successful then you can think about the seperate automated website from there.

Associate
OP
MNuTz said:
your not answering them though, nor are you listening. You posted this thread in the hope that everyone would write things like "cool idea, your going to be rish!". You wanted backup and i doubt that for one second people would turn around and say "no, pants idea, sorry mate!".

Well I have actually said thank you for feedback and cheers for the ideas quite a few times already in the thread already... So I was listening :D

Anyway thanks to everyone for their posts (except those who made silly comments). I've definitely taken the general consensus into mind and have decided on a better way of approach.

Permabanned
apologies if this has been covered:

Why can't you sell the game and post the box etc- but offer an advance of the Serial Key by email?

Surely that covers any legal loophole

a lot of websites offer the latest games at around 20/25 quid anyway, so unless you cut them by 5 quid or so, why would you be a preference just for a key?

An advance of a Key is the service you should offer and not look at the warez market as a prime customer.

Suspended
Ive thought about this idea before aswell. Dont think it would take off though
Take the following

I 'get hold of' supreme commander somehow and find I really enjoy the game. I cant play on gpg.net because I dont have a (valid)serial.

I can get the game retail for £16.99 with all the case, manual etc

How much would you charge for just the serial, say £13.99?

I doubt you would be making much money at all because even if you bought in bulk you may only get it for £11 each or so

Plus the fact that if people really like a game they would rather pay £3 more for all the nice manuals, maps and crud you get in the case (I know when i first got supreme commander for £27.99 i thought it was a rip off but it has been well worth it. Then again i have never really looked at the manual/case/map so it might be good afterall!

Associate
I dont think its a bad idea but it has been done before albeit with the added bonus of users being given an easy way of downloading software. I think that in the next 5-10 years or so all electronic media will be sold online and then downloadable (basically like Steam). Prices for software will continue to fall as the market size and competition increases.

I dont think you have really thought some of the more long term problems through...If this was to work why would developers not set up their own system for selling serials? How do you stop competitors from copying your idea? Have you actually spoken to anyone about how much these serial numbers are going to cost you?

Associate
I see little demand for this. If someone had already "obtained" the game illegally then they've probably not going to spend money on a serial code. They've already made the decision to not spend any money by getting it for free.

The video game market is way way way too big for someone to come in with an idea. Look at your competition they'll always be getting a better economies of scale as they'll be buying in bigger bulk - there price will always be lower than yours.

Don't waste your time

Soldato
There are a few websites that do this allready but you will find it mostly mmo's where the client can be downloaded or people are looking for a second account

Back
Top Bottom