Urgent - P3 server Need new PSU not new style ATX

Associate
Our file/printer server has started having big problems and im hopeing its the psu at fault.
The problem is im having great difficulty finding a psu that has the old style 6 pin p3/p4 connector (labled p8) that is good enough quality to power the mobo.
The Mobo is a supermicro serverworks 370 (not sure exact model) and has a single p3 933cpu and onboard scsi.

Can anyone recommend a suitable psu please.

Soldato
Is it these connectors?

If so its an AT psu, try looking on the bay for one, but be aware that they come in an older shape which isn't square and they have to be attached to an external power switch. There are some atx psu's which are also ompatable with AT.

Soldato
Its ATX with AT backwards compatability, but the board is using an AT power connectors you say? Or does that also have an ATX power connector?
If the board has an AT power connector, you need an old atx psu with the AT connector.

Associate
OP
the mobo is using the Atx 24pin power connector and the AT 6pin power connector.
I know what kind of psu i need, but dont know where to get one from im amazed no one else has experience of p3 server boards that use these psu's.

Soldato
It was used as an auxillary power connector before intel added the +12 requirement to ATX to power P4's. I've actually got this connector on a 400W psu in one of my spare rigs. (Not using that connector, its just tucked away down the back of the system).

Associate
If you have an 20 pin ATX PSU, you should be able to use that and not bother plugging in the aux 6 pin power connector

I had to do this after a PSU blew on a Intel server board and I too did not have the correct 6 pin connector at the time, it worked with no problems.

Maybe this will work for you while you find a PSU with the AUX connector if you urgently need the server backup and running

Soldato
Dunno if the current models do, but I just noticed my Antec TruePower 330W also has the old AUX connector. So it might be worth checking their 'older' non modular PSU's out.

Associate
OP
well I tried connecting the "new" ATX PSU and its fine until the scsi tries to find devices and it sits there searching. THis is the same as I get when using a "cheapo" ATX with the old p3/4 connector.
What i need is Either a good quality PSU with both the required connectors, or can I cut off the p3/4 connector (from the dead psu) and take the new ATX psu and put the 2 together, ie cut off the SATA from the new psu and connect them upto the 6 pin p3/4. Obviously the SATA are only 4 so I will need to mix and match but so long as i get the same wires in the same place it should be okay?

What do you think?

Soldato
Aux is black, black, black, orange, orange, red

Where Orange are 3.3V rails, and red is a 5V rail.

Chopping off a SATA wont help much, as its likely the 3.3V that your in need of.

Oh and dont confuse ATX -AUX, with P8/P9 from AT motherboards, they are wired differently, AT Power doesnt include any 3.3V

P8
Pin Name Color Description
1 PG Orange Power Good, +5 VDC when all voltages has stabilized.
2 +5V Red +5 VDC (or n/c)
3 +12V Yellow +12 VDC
4 -12V Blue -12 VDC
5 GND Black Ground
6 GND Black Ground

P9
Pin Name Color Description
1 GND Black Ground
2 GND Black Ground
3 -5V White or Yellow -5 VDC
4 +5V Red +5 VDC
5 +5V Red +5 VDC
6 +5V Red +5 VDC

Last edited:
Soldato
Slinky said:
we never solved our problem, ended up replacing the server after spending about 150 quid on various psu's.

Wish that would be the case with this client :rolleyes: It's a DC/DNS/DHCP and F&P

Oh how I wish they'd get a HP Proliant ML370! You can get G2/G3 spec servers that would be up to the task on refirbed deals as money is tight. Plus due to HP SIM you get proper reporting on hardware issues...

Back
Top Bottom