Laptop car chargers.

Soldato
Hi guys,

i'll be getting a laptop soon, most probaly a Sony Vaio and ill be going to uni so will be taking it with me. Its quite a long car journey and ill also be off to cornwall on holiday. Laptop batteries dont last long if im correct! I intend to watch movies on the car journey and was wondering if theres a 12v charger for sony vaio laptops?

Im aware you can get mains transformers to take 12v upto mains volatge but these buzz and arent quiet.

I had a quick google but couldnt find much. Do sony make an offocial one?

Thanks for any help, much appreiciated.

Benny C

Associate
those 12v >240 adapters do buzz a bit as my mate has 1, but they aint that loud.....but annoying :D . he has installed it in his boot as his car has a fag lighter socket in there. might be worth a check in your boot m8 :D

Associate
Surely that's a bit arse-about-face.

Look on the laptop's power supply sticker. It'll say how much voltage and ampage it kicks out.
Get a car cigarette lighter adapter with a variable output on it. (The one I have puts out almost anything from 3V to 12V.)
Get a connector the same shape as the laptop's.
Solder it all together, check the polarity with a cheapo multimeter, and presto! You're all done.

I did this with my iPaq, because the work's car charger would get so hot something melted inside and it broke down. Got a decent _regulated_ adapter for the ciggie socket and it's been fine since.

Associate
You could try an "energy knight II" I have one and it does the trick for me.
there's even a pdf with current supported makes and models of laptops if you are not sure of the ampage etc is required by your model.

Back
Top Bottom