safety razors

Caporegime
i know there was another thread on this but it was full of people not having a clue what is was all about and only a handful knew what they were talking about, anyway after doing my own research i have found out that the merkur HD or 34 is one of the best to go for if you are a beginner. later on if i like the shave, after a year i probably will upgrade to something like the vision, anyway all i need is information on the best places to buy my gear from. the gentlemans store seems to be out of stock on a lot of goods, so my guess is they dont hold much stock and is just a small company. i need a good highly reccomended store that has stock. been looking at brushes and lets be honest there isny much difference in them, silver tipped ones are reccomended though. so basically im looking for a stand, a beginners razor which will still give me a damn good shave, a badger brush and some shaving soap. there is a set which comes complete in at £170 from gentlemans store from merkur but if i were to just get my own razor, brush, soap and stand for just my brush it comes in at £135 ish, but the thing is the set includes an advanced users razor. would the £65 vision razor which is only reccomended for advanced users be okay for me? ive been shaving for about 3 years now with a mach 3?

1. is there a better razor than the merkur HD for a beginner?
2. what is the best place to buy shaving stuff from that has stock?
3. is there any real difference in the badger brushes or can i just buy any £30 one?
4. is there any reccomended shaving sticks (soap) or shaving creams?
5. or should i just go for a cheap £20 merkur because the difference is negligible?
6. is there anything else i should know?

i would prefer replies only from people that have these types of razor and have a vast knowledge on what is best for me as a beginner and what i should upgrade to? maybe start off with a cheap brush then later maybe get a £60 one thats ort of thing, anyway my budget is probably around £150-£250

Soldato
I bought one of those Merkur Futur razors after reading the other thread alongside Trumpers Rose Shaving Cream. First shave, nicked myself on the neck but every shave since has been fantastic. You have to take more time with these than a Mach 3 but I'm getting the best shaves ever now. ;)

I bought them from Mankind. Has quite a comprehensive selection and plenty of stock...though is a danger of turning a bit metro after visiting it.

Last edited:
Soldato
maybe you should check out the badger and blade forums, they'll probably be able to help a lot more. i registered today, it is quick and i got a fast reply.

Associate
The two places I use are Mankind and Carter and Bond

Futur Brushed Steel Razor is my weapon of choice. Nice clean shave, 6 settings for closeness. Easy to use I started with this.

I have always used the synthetic brushes and have the basic men-u Barbiere shaving brush. I'd like to give the Badger hair ones ago, but alas yet have failed to do so.

I swear by Proraso shaving products and yes, I have used Geo F Trumper. I use Proraso pre&post shaving cream and their shaving cream. Personally I think the stuff is superb value for money.

Your budget is out of this world to start with! You will have a superb choice. The only thing I would change with my setup is a nice fancy Badger brush. Once you find the products that work well you'll never return to Sensor, Mach Whatever.

Last edited:
Soldato
And who'd of thought, you don't need five blades when you can get a better shave off one. May have to look into that Proraso stuff once I've used up my current supply of trumper.

Associate
Damn this forum. It's cost me a small fortune since I became a member LOL.
Think I will have to try one of these to see what all the fuss is about :D One good point is it will stop the wife using my razor to do her legs ;)

Soldato
I got me one of these:

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/merkur-34-razor.html#a45

some of this

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/GFT_Sandalwood_Shaving_Cream_Pot.html#a542

and one of these:

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/English_Shaving_Brush_-_Medium_Best.html#a533

You dont need to spend so much at all.

Here is a really good article on it http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845

And a great MSN group http://groups.msn.com/thewetshaversgroup/

Just explain to the missus first that the 'wet shavers group' is not in fact a frankie vaughan website but a shaving one.

Caution though: Shaving with these takes a lot longer than razzing a fusion/ mach 3 over your face in the morning. Results are not MUCH better than with a mach 3 so invariably, if you don't have time, you use the mach 3.

Caporegime
OP
well i know which razor im going to get and im gonna get a cheap badger or synthetic brush depending on which website i decide to order from, now all i need to know is

1. shaving soap
2. shaving cream
3. other

and do i need one of those fancy bowls?

Caporegime
OP
this is what my current basket looks like

comes to £120 all in, just gettin a cheap badger brush for £30 gonna try some expensive soap and that cheap cream, will report back to you guys with my results

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Futur Safety Razor 700 1 £34.04 £34.04
- Finish: Polished

GS Silver Tip Shaving Brush 1 £25.53 £25.53

GFT Rose Shaving Soap 1 £14.04 £14.04

Imitation Ivory Brush Stand 1 £2.13 £2.13

Proraso Shaving Cream Jar 1 £4.25 £4.25
150ml

Moustache / Beard Razor 1 £17.02 £17.02

Safety Razor Blades - 10 pack 1 £2.98 £2.98

Beard Razor Blades 10 Pack 1 £1.70 £1.70

TH Limes Aftershave Balm + 1 £21.28 £21.28
FREE SHAVING CREAM

Proraso Aftershave Splash 1 £8.50 £8.50
======================================================================
Subtotal: £131.47
Shipping (Next Business Day Courier): £2.98
VAT: £23.53
Total: £157.98

all in all i have got 21 blades for safety razor and 11 blades for beard moustache razor that i purchased which should last a long time, anyone have any idea how long a single safety razors blade should last? also any idea on how long a single jar of shaving soap should last?

im hoping the blades last me a year, also since i got 1 soap and 2 creams they should also last me a year, would this thinking be correct?

i also bought the beard moustache razor because i put lines in my eyebrows and when my beard becomes a lot thicker i may start to design it, ive been shaving for about 4-5 years now and theres still bits missing in my beard but only under my mouth an to the sides of my lips, i dont know why these bits are missing but it prevents me from stying just now, i change my style every now and again, clean shaven, number 1 all round and sometimes slightly styled.

all in all i think i got a good choice of products, the only thing i didnt buy was the leather pouch for the razor because i dont think i would have ever used it, and to gt a stand you need to buy the very overly priced sets so ill just let it sit in the cupboard naked

Last edited:
Associate
After trying everything by Gillette / Wilkinson out there, this post has finally persuaded me to take a chance on my neck and i bought some new equip :

Merkur 23C DE razor - £20

Vulfix 1000 Badgers Hair Shaving Brush - £16

Just need to get some decent shaving cream now.

tnx for above info

Associate
i like the idea of these razors but can they be done on the cheap? my budget is around £15. also how do you sharpen the blade?

Man of Honour
simoran1 said:
i like the idea of these razors but can they be done on the cheap? my budget is around £15. also how do you sharpen the blade?
theres no way you would be able to pick up a razor plus a brush and soap for that amount i dont think and the blades are disposible so when they are blunt you throw them away and replace with a new one.

Caporegime
OP
simoran1 said:

put it this way for £16 you could buy a gillete fusion

or for £30 you could get a merkur

say you use 52 blades a year, which is 1 a week

gillete fusion blades 52 x 2 = £104
merkur blades 52 x 0.35 = £18.20

now your £16 razor has cost you over a hundred quid in blades whereas my £30 razor has cost you a measly £18

Associate
Psycho Sonny said:
put it this way for £16 you could buy a gillete fusion

or for £30 you could get a merkur

say you use 52 blades a year, which is 1 a week

gillete fusion blades 52 x 2 = £104
merkur blades 52 x 0.35 = £18.20

now your £16 razor has cost you over a hundred quid in blades whereas my £30 razor has cost you a measly £18

thats exactly what i was thinking. think ill take the plunge. cheers guys

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm planning on waiting a week, seeing how many of you are in A&E. and if the casualty rate is acceptably low, picking up a Merkur 34 myself.

fini

Man of Honour
fini said:
I'm planning on waiting a week, seeing how many of you are in A&E. and if the casualty rate is acceptably low, picking up a Merkur 34 myself.

fini
give it 2 mine has got to make it all the way across the pond

Caporegime
OP
my order should be arriving tomorrow and if it does ill have a shave tomorrow evening, otherwise i wont be using it until monday, got a hot date on sunday and 3-4 day stubble looks god dam sexy on me, so i hope mine arrives tomorrow or i will have to wait til monday because ill be using my m3 turbo instead 2moro

Back
Top Bottom