Infrared Filter

Soldato
right,
I've tried this and it worked okay
however, this weekend a snapping weekend away and it all went wrong

the centre of the picture over exposed, happened on my 50mm and my friends kit lens
i've managed to make it work before okay on the 28-105 canon
I have a 350D

is this the hot spotting!? or is my filter borked!?
could do with a filter for my 17-85mm and give it another whirl

Soldato
OP
Should i be doing a Custom White balance with filter on?? If so that be hard as cant see. Also to do the custom white balance am i right that i should be taking a picture of a white paper as mention in the canon booklet

Rookies said:
Should i be doing a Custom White balance with filter on?? If so that be hard as cant see. Also to do the custom white balance am i right that i should be taking a picture of a white paper as mention in the canon booklet

Get your camera and tripod.
Set it up on a garden.
Composure your shot looking at some grass only.
Get the focus right etc etc.
Put the IR filter on
Take the shot.
Go into your camera menu and choose custom white balance.
Set it to the picture you last shot

Soldato
OP
Fstop11 said:
I was wearing shorts! although that was it. Who isnt half naked when in the comfort of your own home?

Beer + Underpants = a happy home.

Agree I am always like that at my own home it more comfort :)

Also cheers for your help I will do that what i get the time. Shame there no grass in my garden so will have to go somewhere and do it.

Also what funtion mode should i use? you know on the dial where it says, Auto, P, AV,Tv, etc

Cheers

Well you can shoot RAW and do the WB later but when you get chance I would still create a custom WB and then use that.

You need to use M mode. Manual.

Your exposures will not be metered in anyway so it will be up to you to decide just how much exposure the shot is going to need. Start off with

ISO200
F8
15 Seconds (long exposure noise reduction on)

Associate
If you really have no idea of what sort of exposure to use (which you won't at first) then an easy way to work is shooting at the highest ISO and widest aperture available.
Then use cunning maths to transpose your decided exposure to a lower ISO and stopped down aperture.

Associate
Fstop11 said:
I like to take a real professional attitude towards my camera use

Fstop11 said:
To create my mod. (verey quick example I just made so excuse the quality of the images)

You will need for the 17 - 40 L F4

77mm UV filter
58mm Hoya screw in IR filter
Blu Tac

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

:D

(I'm only messing, I know even pro's do whatever it takes to get a shot, it just looked funny)

Back
Top Bottom