holding car with clutch on hill

Soldato
Most clutches will last a very long time, even if you use them to hill hold.

One of my newage scoobs had a hill hold clutch - no idea how it worked but it was just brilliant.

Last time I was chatting to a Subaru technician I asked how long the Sti clutches last and the guy said not long but it's not solely due to wear. Most of the clutches they're replacing are just glazed over, plenty meat left - just overheated through abuse.

Soldato
my cars are generally old and tired, so if it's fairly steep or i'll be there longer than about 30-40s the handbrake goes on

Soldato
I usually hold it on the footbrake whilst in gear with the clutch fully depressed then switch from brake to throttle whilst simultaneously finding the bite point (usually I can do this before the car has even started to roll back).

Soldato
Generally, ill slow to second, but if its night and im on my own, ill flash my beams vigourously at the lights so they change... but if I have to stop, drop to first and hold it on the bite and tapping the throttle if I need to...

Caporegime
merlin said:
Most clutches will last a very long time, even if you use them to hill hold.

One of my newage scoobs had a hill hold clutch - no idea how it worked but it was just brilliant.

Last time I was chatting to a Subaru technician I asked how long the Sti clutches last and the guy said not long but it's not solely due to wear. Most of the clutches they're replacing are just glazed over, plenty meat left - just overheated through abuse.

But isn't that what will happen if you try to hold position with the clutch on a hill, it will be spinning the friction plate against the pressure plate and glazing it over with the extra heat build up?

Soldato
Mackass said:
I use my brakes to remain stationary.

I'll keep my right foot on the brake, and when it's time to move, I'll release the clutch to the biting point with my left foot. At this point, the clutch should hold the car steady, so I'll quickly move my right foot from the brakes and onto the gas, then go.
Same :)

Back
Top Bottom