windows mirroring?!

• Thread starter Deleted member 329
  • Start date

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

hi

ok i am in need of some help

ive just sold my laptop and i need to finnish taking my projects off it... i just spend weeks setting it up but ive had to sell it due to some financial troubles.

no i have a better specced pc than the laptop and was wondering if there is anyway to image it from one machine to another.?!

prob not i know. any help would be appreciated> ( with a mac it would be soo easy )

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

OP
yeah i know ... will it boot at all?! thats a worry.... then i would have to think about windows licensing too.. getting around the activation etc

i mean currently they both have legal windows

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

OP
did you read the thread?

just to make it clear ... the reason i want to move the whole OS over is because i have loads of unfinished project which require lots of buts of software to be configured correctly

digital audio workstation

Soldato
You could take the hard drive out, put it in a cheap USB/Firewire caddy, copy the files across to another computer and then replace/format the drive. I am unsure you will have much success with just imaging the drive with the OS. Drivers will be a big issue and the computer might not boot up.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'v swapped hard drives over a couple of times and never had any trouble with it.
Took a drive out of my bro's pentium4 machine and put it in my AMD64. It booted fine, got lots of yellow baloons in windows telling me 'new hardware detected' (and i had to instal audio drivers) but it all worked fine after that and the disk that was in my AMD was moved into the P4 with no probs either.

You could try cloning your laptop hdd onto our desktop hdd using something like clonemaxxx.
(Btw, dont blame me if you cant get it to boot, as although both of mine worked, a lot of people get problems when booting)

Associate
I once moved a hard disk from a K6 into a 486DX4 with Windows98SE on it. It took about 6 reboots ("Windows has found new hardware..."), no intervention from me other than clicking OK, and it worked a charm.

Once you're done add an environment variable (Start, Control Panel, System, Advanced, Environment Variables) :
devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices

and set it to 1. Then go to Device Manager, View, Show Hidden Devices. You can then go through removing all the old hardware your laptop had. Also handy for trimming USB crud.

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

OP
hey thank for your help... think am going to try true image and give that a shot see what happens if it its going to be a long long night!

:d

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

OP
hey... yeah thats a nice idea... but i dont think its going to be worth it.... the system is a sound production machine that requires loads of cpu and ram to work!

cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom