OcUK Photo Comp - Season Six : Round Three - "Spring Time" DISCUSSION

Soldato
Whatever the judges decide on the GIF / JPG rule, you should try to be consistent. Would you do the same for another member, and in what circumstances?

As long as you have consistency, it's fair. If you break the rules for some and not others, it becomes unfair.

Of course, I'm not a judge anymore, but that would be my suggestion. :)

Soldato
Yes of course you need consistancy. I just think that when you start disqualifing people it takes a bit of the fun out of the competition. Last month they saw fit last month to allow someone to re enter an image, why not again this month? I can understand the reason for wanting everyone to post in the same format, and that it takes a fair amount of time and effort to be a judge and I am grateful to them for what they do. But all this picking over rules and removing people from the competion spoils the whole thing. IMO a picture should only be disqualified in only the most extreme cases, e.g.the poster used someone elses image found on the internet.

I guess what I'm trying to say is does the format thing really need to be a rule, and instead just a request as its not so much about the photography and more something that has only come about due to the program used to put the website together (i think this was the reason, apologies if not).

The only reason someone would enter a non .jpeg is either by genuine mistake (some hosts will change the format when you resize on them, might just slip your mind to check) or not reading the rules carefully enough, how many people can honestly say that they carefully read through every rule? I know I didn't, I only picked them up because as a regular on here you read the dicussions about modifications and changes to the comp.

Anyway, I really hate to moan and i'm really sorry for doing so! I'm just worried this is the start of a slippery slope and it would be a shame because in the past i've really enjoyed this competion.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I was wondering too, I've had no word from Morgan or Matt yet and I had hoped to announce the results on the 22nd.

Soldato
Mohain said:
The new system doesn't seem to be working does it?

Not necessarily as planned, but at least the comps come round monthly now.

If the results aren't ready, then well, they're not ready! IMO it doesn't really matter. If we end up a bit late getting the next theme, it's not the end of the world really.

Soldato
Helium_Junkie said:
The rules regarding posting images as a jpeg aren't hard to adhere to, and should be known (you really should read the rules before entering).
The judges arent paid for their time, adding more work for them is (in my opinion) completely unreasonable.

It wasn't my picture that wasn't in jpeg!

The rule isn't hard for people who are used to dealing with file types, and it doesn't necessarily have to add more work. Just say "Hey *insert names* you entered the wrong file type can you resubmit please". Its much nicer then "you've been disqualified". I think its important to make the competition friendly and as accessible to as many people as possible. Seeing as the judging takes about a month anyway I don't think allowing a couple of days to give people a chance to fix a problem is going to affect much.

I felt compelled to voice my opinion on the matter after reading all the rather sad comments by people talking about banning images that didn't adhere to theme etc. I'm not making any demands, I was just voicing my concern about the path the competition was heading down. It's supposed to be about having fun and improving peoples photography (IMO) not thinking up ways to kick people out.

Soldato
Mohain said:
The new system doesn't seem to be working does it?

I like it. Under the old system we had to wait a week or so for each new competition, this way it's a little more fluid. Would be awesome to get the results tonight though, I want to see how much my semi naked self is appreciated :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
yak.h'cir said:
Would be awesome to get the results tonight though, I want to see how much my semi naked self is appreciated :p

Not going to happen I'm afraid. Still no word from Morgan and Matt and coursework submission dates are coming up which means my free time is rather monopolised. I do want to try and get them up before the end of the month.

I'm trying to contact Matt and Morgan over MSN but they haven't been online for a while.

Soldato
yak.h'cir said:
It wasn't my picture that wasn't in jpeg!

Sorry, I knew that - my comment wasn't specifically at you, just in response to you :)
And I still disagree! I think the deadline should be final, and the rules about submission are there for us to get right, not the judges - that's part of the competition.

Associate
my results now with you. Sorry for the delay everyone....lots on at the moment...poor excuse I know.

Thanks everyone for entering.

Soldato
Helium_Junkie said:
Sorry, I knew that - my comment wasn't specifically at you, just in response to you :)
And I still disagree! I think the deadline should be final, and the rules about submission are there for us to get right, not the judges - that's part of the competition.

:) Well thats fair enough!

I think obviously the main rules should be final, i.e. you don't steal someone elses photo, but seeing as the comp is not focused around money/prizes the people running it should be there to make it as fun and as accessible as possible. Remember not everyone posting in these forums counts English as their first language so some minor mistakes etc should be allowed for in the comprehension of the rules.If the judges stick to their ruling and refuse to convert into jpeg then maybe in future they/a mod could at least make an attempt to warn the photographer. I.e. The picture could be deleted and a message explaining why (or anthing that stands out strongly, not just a post in a long thread that could be easily missed, editing the persons photo entry post will be much more likely to be seen)... :)

Anyway, sorry to keep moaning about this issue.

Soldato
yak.h'cir said:
maybe in future they/a mod could at least make an attempt to warn the photographer.

Up til now this has been self-policed, i.e. we've all been watching each others and checking everyone elses entry - it's a shame one didn't get spotted, but I think it's more up to us to check everyone elses pictures before the deadline than it is for the judges to check after.
There are what, 60 or so entries sometimes? That's a lot of people who can have a quick check when a new picture is entered and see if it's breaking any rules. It's much more to ask of 1 mod to check them all (the judges wont see them til after the deadline I expect).

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I do check through the entries before the competition and post a message when they break a rule. Unfortunately sometimes entries get through and get disqualified.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
FAO Combat Squirrel

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9036267&postcount=31

The picture you have entered into this competition was shot in 2005. The original EXIF information of the picture confirms this yet the image of the EXIF you posted has the date as 2007. Another judge and I can also remember that this was posted as part of a picture set you shot of a wedding a while back. Could you please explain how this discrepancy arose as at the moments it appears that you have deliberately falsified the EXIF picture in order to enter a 2 year old photo.

Back
Top Bottom