who is running win 64

Associate
How are you getting on with it, I'm thinking of going over to Xp 64 and dual boot with vista. I have all the drivers for 64, but cant get all the drivers for vista
its just I have a 64bit proc so I might as well use it by installing win64.
I cant make my mind up someone help.

cheers
D

Soldato
A lot of the reason people don't trust 64-bit operating systems is the fact that XP64 was poorly supported and had bad support.

But that's all changed, Vista x64 is a different thing entirely. Driver support for x64 is as good as for x86, and there is no performance penalty to running your 32-bit applications in a 64-bit environment.

The only issues with Vista x64 are the same ones that affect the x86 version.

Soldato
I'm using Vista x64 and compatibility and gaming support is excellent IMHO.

Games I have installed.

Star Wars Galaxies
Vanguard
WoW + exp pack
Morrowind with both exp packs
Oblivion
Jedi Academy
Jedi Outcast
KOTOR
KOTOR 2 (with DDL patch for sound fix)
Might & Magic 8
Starcraft +exp pack
Prey
UFO-Afterlight
Silverfall
Baldur's Gate + exp pack
Baldur's Gate 2 + exp pack
Steam(CS,TFC,DoD etc..)
UT2004
9 dragons
Dark&Light
XCOM-Enforcer.
Space Rangers 2 (without Starforce).

Cob

Cob

Soldato
I run both x64 XP and Vista.

There's very few issues with x64 XP these days. IMO it's more stable than x86 XP and allows me to use all my RAM.

There's a few more issues with x64 Vista, but they're more to do with it being a brand new OS than the OS itself.

Capodecina
Soldato
Elevon said:
I'm using Vista x64 and compatibility and gaming support is excellent IMHO.

Games I have installed.

Star Wars Galaxies
Vanguard
WoW + exp pack
Morrowind with both exp packs
Oblivion
Jedi Academy
Jedi Outcast
KOTOR
KOTOR 2 (with DDL patch for sound fix)
Might & Magic 8
Starcraft +exp pack
Prey
UFO-Afterlight
Silverfall
Baldur's Gate + exp pack
Baldur's Gate 2 + exp pack
Steam(CS,TFC,DoD etc..)
UT2004
9 dragons
Dark&Light
XCOM-Enforcer.
Space Rangers 2 (without Starforce).

Add

Condemned Criminal Originins
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Need For Speed Underground 2
FEAR
Quake4

Associate
I don't recall coming across a game that doesn't install on XP x64 (though Final Reality, and the two oldest 3DMarks won't).
I suspect System Shock 2 won't install (as it didn't on Windows 2000 moaning about NT not having DirectX 4 support).
AVG Free won't run on it, but that's stated on the AVG website (though AVG Pay will).

Games installed:
Quake 4, Quake 3, Quake 2, Civ 4, Dawn Of War, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Oblivion, Fear, Steam stuff, C&C The First Decade (and the C&C3 demo ran), WinUAE, MAME32, Aliens Vs Predator 2.

Plus myriad of expansion packs for the above games.

Associate
Windows XP 64, is one of the most stable OS youll find, I've been using xp64 in work as well as linux 64bit, and to be honest in my personal experience windows XP64 is more stable. Over the year ive run the system apart from a few mandatory restarts (windows updates :p) the system never went down or had any issues (the machine was used in film production and gets absolutely hammered by Maya and other 3D software).
Games are hit and miss on any 64bit OS, with Stalker theres a hack to run the exe so its more stable, Colin Mcrae rally 2005 just wont run (copy protection drivers are incompatible) but other than that.. everything runs fine. I would go so far as to say it feels a little quicker than its 32bit little brother.
The obvious advantages concerning memory management are a massive plus for heavy duty professional applications like Maya, Photoshop and After Effects. all using the extra memory perfectly fine.
If your looking for a very very solid OS windows XP 64bit is a great choice - drivers are now mature and there are plenty of them (still worth checking all your hardware has the drivers before commiting though)
As far as Vista 64bit.... well its vista isnt it.. so its unstable, buggy .. but looks nice ;) personaly i would still consider vista a beta product, and although driver support is considerably better than windows XP 64bit was when it was released - theres still a lot of random applications and drivers which either dont exist or are buggy.

Personal advice would be.
Windows XP 64bit = Best Windows OS currently available and by far the most stable.
Windows Vista 64bit (any version) = wait for service pack 1 before commiting.
On a final note.. .just because you have a 64bit CPU .. doesnt mean youll be getting any more juice out of it .. unless your using applications which require or benifit from the additional ram - you only gain Stability not speed.

Cheers
ROfu

Soldato
XP x64 is as good if not better than xp pro now.

If you have a 64bit cpu i see no reason why you shouldnt switch over.

Its faster and more stable than xp, even better now sp2 has been released for it. not that i had any issues pre sp1.

1 thing though, the 64bit ie7 is a pain, as in there appears to be a lack of flash players and such for it. But as 32bit ie7 or 6 if you prefer is also present by default its not really an issue.

This is used on my main rig, which is my gaming machine, no issues playing any games at all. Been using it for nigh on a year and half now.

Soldato
Vista 64 is running absolutely fine for me. Since Nvidia released their last driver, its all been sweet.

Some games like BattleField2 need to be run in admin mode - thats about it.

Associate
Datamonkey said:
XP x64 is as good if not better than xp pro now.

If you have a 64bit cpu i see no reason why you shouldnt switch over.

Its faster and more stable than xp, even better now sp2 has been released for it. not that i had any issues pre sp1.

1 thing though, the 64bit ie7 is a pain, as in there appears to be a lack of flash players and such for it. But as 32bit ie7 or 6 if you prefer is also present by default its not really an issue.

This is used on my main rig, which is my gaming machine, no issues playing any games at all. Been using it for nigh on a year and half now.

same as above ;), with sp2 on it, it does feel & run smother than 32bit /x86 pro.

Associate
ROfu said:
Windows Vista 64bit (any version) = wait for service pack 1 before commiting.

A wise man once told me to never install a Microsoft OS before Service Pack One.

As there's currently no point to getting hold of a copy of Vista (no DX10 games out) I shan't be. But if your machine came with Vista pre-installed, or you need to get an OS anyway, you may as well use Vista, as that nugget of advice was before the advent of Windows Update, and indeed the support provided by easy internet access.

Associate
I remembered last night that the force feedback on my Saitek Cyborg FF doesn't work. When I first installed it, the spring didn't even work, so it flopped about uselessly. It has improved, but still no FF (the test in Game Controllers CP causes errors).

Back
Top Bottom