Mountain Mods U2-UFO or TJ-07?

Associate
Actually it doesn't work quite like that with the blended test. It is worth doing both tests, regardless of of whether or not you are overclocking your ram, if you want to be 100% sure of your overclock stability. There are others on here that probably have the time to explain why but I am a busy boy today :D.

Associate
Mr Footlong said:
Actually it doesn't work quite like that with the blended test. It is worth doing both tests, regardless of of whether or not you are overclocking your ram, if you want to be 100% sure of your overclock stability. There are others on here that probably have the time to explain why but I am a busy boy today :D.

I know what your saying at the end of the day, my pc doesnt crash, i can game, its on 24/7 nps, so i would say its stable, and the actual stress testing is a bit pointless in real life useage, as there is not many things you can do on a computer that would ever stress your pc as much as a stress test would.

Anyhow the idea of stress testing was not designed to be used as a overclcoking aid, it was to aid system builders, after a new build, the idea is after a new build you run a set number od tests for 24-48 hours, (Burnin)this then weeds out or shows you the weak components, or incompatable components. wich would generaly on new pc builds, fail in the first 24-48 hours.

Man of Honour
OP
If it dosn't pass orthos blend for at least 1 pass (usually 11-12 hours) then I wouldn't class my PC as stable. Stability testing is a very personal thing - some people don't see the point in doing it if it runs everything they use fine - personally I like to have the best indication that my pc is stable no matter what I throw at it so having a PC game stable is all fine and dandy but if your HD is slowly corrupting due to incorrect calculations then what is the point?

Associate
w3bbo said:
If it dosn't pass orthos blend for at least 1 pass (usually 11-12 hours) then I wouldn't class my PC as stable. Stability testing is a very personal thing - some people don't see the point in doing it if it runs everything they use fine - personally I like to have the best indication that my pc is stable no matter what I throw at it so having a PC game stable is all fine and dandy but if your HD is slowly corrupting due to incorrect calculations then what is the point?

"HD is slowly corrupting due to incorrect calculations then what is the point?"

That is complete and utter rubbish m8

EDIT:even if you run orthos for 12 hours with a pas does nto make your system stable it jsut makes your cpu and mem stable, to many other factors come into it, ie other parts ont he motherboard, having a well configured ,
system, having compatile components makes it stable,
Doers irthos test your drivers/ test your registry, test your sound card, does it test anything other than cpu and memorey .................... no, so running orthos for 12 hours does not make your system anywhere more stable than when i only ran it for 30 mins, wait does it run tests on hds...no and anycase proper stess testing is done in doss mode, where the factors i have siad about above woudl not come into it so much.

Orthos does not test all components, its only a very small part of tests that shoud be ran to say "my computer is stable", its not stress testing software at all
and sorry to say this if you consider your computer stable and robust jsut because you have ran orthos for 12 hours you are sadley mistaken.

Do i know what im taking about........ hell yea im qualified.

we will just have to agree to dissagree

Last edited:
Associate
DataVampire said:
running orthos for 12 hours does not make your system anywhere more stable than when i only ran it for 30 mins

I don't use just Orthos.

DataVampire said:
Do i know what im taking about........ hell yea im qualified.

I also have a whole bunch of IT qualifications coming out of the wazzoo, but they count for nothing compared to skill, attention to detail and common sense in the IT world in my opinion. I don't give a tinker's wotsit about my 'qualifications', I would be just as clever without them....I don't think you are fair having a pop at other, very experienced overclockers on here.

Associate
Mr Footlong said:
I don't use just Orthos.

I also have a whole bunch of IT qualifications coming out of the wazzoo, but they count for nothing compared to skill, attention to detail and common sense in the IT world in my opinion. I don't give a tinker's wotsit about my 'qualifications', I would be just as clever without them....I don't think you are fair having a pop at other, very experienced overclockers on here.

Not having a pop, but when peeps state there computer is stable by jsut running orthos, is that expertize ?? can you honestly say from all of the knollege you have experiance, honestly sit here and type that running orthos for 12 hours make syour computer stable ??

sorry if you think im having a pop im not. what i am stating is fact, and when you did your training you woudl of learnt this.
ive known some people run orthos for 18 houes and it has failed, does that mean its unstable, not acourding to some in this very thread, i have known some people run orthos for 24 hours nps, and when they have gone to play a game it craps out, proving there system is not stable, but wait orthos was run for 24 hours so it must be stable, see what i mean ?.
like i siad there is more to jsut running that program to say a system is stable a lot more, and i cant beileve people who are qaulified are saying otherwise, do these people work for the cowboys in blue shirts ?

jk
it is just an opinion, although contains fact.

Last edited:
Associate
Lol, I am not even going to bother arguing any of this with you, or going to have a ******* contest etc. 95% of 'techies' on this planet have no right to call themselves that and parade around convincing people that they know what they are talking about. When they get found out 'techies' like me go in and pick up the pieces. Right, back to the subject at hand, you feel free to test your registry etc until the cows come home ;). For the rest of us, Orthos small/blend,hot cpu tester pro (Amazingly does more than just the cpu!!! ;)), memtest and 3d mark give us a pretty accurate idea ;). By the way, the data corruption Webbo was mentioning is what I guess he interprets as hard drive corruption due to running unlocked bus speeds above the recommended/rated tolerences ;). Never experienced anything like that myself but I am a stickler for bus locks.

Soldato
There are two types of stability in my opinion and that is mathematical and 3D.

Orthos will do the mathematical side of things, if your rig can not process it's 0 and 1's correctly then your machine isn't stable. It may run at that speed and not fall over, but there is a chance you may install something later on that will make those errors bring the system to its knees.

I'm willing to bet here that anyone running some kind of distributing client such as SETI / F@H will see such mathematical errors have an effect over the stability of their system.

3D stable is obviously a more robust test being as a physics/AI heavy game (such as a DirectX API game with a physics API such as havok) aka Source engine will max out a processor and give the GPU a bit of a test although their would be more strenuious tests for the GPU other than source.

As for other factors for stability:

Motherboard: The only way the motherboard can be of instability would be if the chipset itself can not run at the frequency you are trying for, voltage craps out through PWM/caps or if any of the circuits give way. All of these will make orthos trip being as orthos on blend will be using the bus to address memory and processor.

I find sound cards will only introduce instability is if the drivers crap out. Normally a sound card will just generate abnormal sounds. In the old days on board sound used to hiss and crackle under high FSB which is why a lot of boards now try to intergrate them onto add in cards such as DFI karajan and Fatality branded a bit boards.

Orthos is a good general test, but there has been instances where games etc can make a system unstable as orthos doesn't test all the processors extensions and instruction sets like SSE. Yet orthos/prime have always been good indicators for me.

So basically there is no reason not to run Orthos, those who chose not to run some kind of itteration calculator such as Orthos/Prime are basically worried that their overclock will not pass these tests. Anyone calling there system stable without testings it's ability to return correct values from a calculation are just dreaming. It's everything that the system comes down to which is binary - so it isn't an excuse.

Man of Honour
OP
DataVampire said:
Bla bla bla...snip

I don't feel insecure enough to spout what qualifications I have and wouldn't dream of trying to prove my point by saying so as if it made a difference but for all those qualifications m8, you are having a very hard time reading a post - maybe a refund is in order? I did actually state Orthos gives an INDICATION of stability.

I agree it isn't the be all and end all of a systems stability and shouldn't be considered as such. Its an INDICATION of stability. It is however an indication that I and many others in the overclocking community rely on to test for indications of stability. Does that make it right? No of course it dosn't but it will show an indication that your pc is either stable or not.

If Orthos or P95 or any other stress tester fails then it has made a computation error. If a CPU has made a computation error its is not stable. If its not stable then your hard drive will eventually corrupt. I don't know where you read or were taught that data corruption cannot be as a result of an unstable cpu/ram/motherboard m8. A cpu that is unstable or ram that is unstable or a pci bus that is flaky CAN AND WILL corrupt what is written to the disk, and corrupt where things are written to the disk resulting in a corrupt HD and possible data loss. Sure overclocking too far is not the only thing that can corrupt HD's - there are many other things that could be responsible but I say 9/10 times overclocking is the problem. Overclocking too far can also cause sudden resets (again causing corruption of hard disks). In short I do believe it is indeed YOU who are talking 'utter rubbish' in this respect - no offence.

If you don't want to run Orthos or any other stress tester then fine m8 - no one is gonna force you, its an age long debate that some find stress testers useless while others think they are very handy tools. Each to there own I guess, horses for courses and all that.

Soldato
Just got my other pump as the shop i got it from is moaning about installing a custom top so that got to go back with luck.

Pc is on the floor and most of the part`s are on my desk as im doing a revamp while i replace the pump and other bit`s.

Frontnewfanfiliters.jpg

Rearnewfanfilters.jpg

Newres.jpg

Back
Top Bottom