Anti-Static Wristband

Associate
I just do it.

Unplug everything, whack it on the table and build away.

Don't know how many I have built (a few ;) ) and never ever had a problem with a build.

Aslong as you dont rub everything on the carpet first you will be fine without one ;)

Associate
I was told that static can build up along the edge of the components and zap it later down the line so not evident straight after being handled , There must be some risk else why do mobo’s and gfx cards come in anti static bags ??

Soldato
I coat all my computer components in rubber - and only build the computer whilst standing almost completely submerged in a vat of liquid latex. I've not zapped a computer part once - and I don't wear an anti-stat band!

fini

Associate
Yeah maybe a wrist band and antistatic mat is a bit OTT but have you ever thought about getting a humidifier as you are less likely to get static build up with Humidity above 50%

Man of Honour
V F said:
As many have said. "Oh but it'll never happen to me"

This is not personal attacks to anyone, seriously its just common sense.

I wouldn't say it will never happen to me but when I first built my PC I didn't have the money for an anti-static wristband and it worked fine, at that point I decided that provided you take reasonable precautions the chances were good it would be fine. I've got rather more lax from that point on which isn't necessarily good but then how much of the risk of static on components is overstated? I don't know the answer but I've heard of very few people who have killed components with static and met no-one who has done it.

If you require to wear an anti-static wristband for a job (and I probably would wear one if I repaired PCs for a living) because that is playing with other peoples components so then that is fair enough but for the average casual upgrader I don't think it necessary. If it makes someone feel happier to wear a wristband then go for it though, whether it is a placebo or not doesn't really matter in that instance. :)

Associate
Can't you just wear it on your ankle? Does it have to be on the wrist?

Also I have been told that ESD "damage doesn't always kill components - It may just shorten their life."

Take that with a pinch of salt though, I was also once told to "leave food standing when removed from the microwave for a few minutes to give the microwaves time to stop bouncing around."
Limited knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

Soldato
OP
Whoa whoa whoa guys guys guys - no need to get angry ;)
I spose it's your preference whether you wear it or not. I'd prefer not to wear one, but I was just recommend that it's the better idea.
Also, to the guy that said that he feels everyone that wears bands are n00bs - that's the most stupidest thing I've ever heard of, and it's like V F said, it's almost as if saying "Wearing a helmet on a building site makes you n00b".

Rant over - now let's live in peace! @D

Commissario
I personally tend to wear an antistatic band, and use an anti-static mat (handy to lay the parts out on) when building PC's, but I don't fret too much if I can't find the strap and just ground myself on a bare copper pipe instead.

I prefer the strap though as it means i'm covered.

Associate
Just rub the components on the carpet, whilst touching your old CRT monitor screen with your foot, and holding onto a van de graaff generator with the other hand, you'll be fine :p

Back
Top Bottom