Sigma 20MM F/1.8 - Suitable for Gigs?

Soldato
Hey!

I have a 50MM 1.8 already and I'm looking to get a prime on either side of this for closer shots.

Would the 20MM 1.8 from sigma but ok for this? it looks great and is amazingly well priced! does anyone on here have this lens?

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Soldato
20mm sounds pretty wide for gig photography unless your wanting to get full stage shots, which i imagine this lens would pretty much be perfect for. Actually come to think of it, theres not many wide angle lenses that offer such a low f/stop. As for the higher focal range, you could check out the nikon 80mm 1.8

Soldato
OP
alexisonfire said:
20mm sounds pretty wide for gig photography unless your wanting to get full stage shots, which i imagine this lens would pretty much be perfect for. Actually come to think of it, theres not many wide angle lenses that offer such a low f/stop. As for the higher focal range, you could check out the nikon 80mm 1.8

Cheers! I'm a Canon guy so I think it would have to be the 85MM 1.8 instead!

Rich

Soldato
I should imagine your 50 would be better, unless you're going for full stage shots as Mr Simpson said.

How 'bout the Sigma 30mm f/1.4? Probably a more usable focal length, and faster too.

Soldato
OP
robmiller said:
I should imagine your 50 would be better, unless you're going for full stage shots as Mr Simpson said.

How 'bout the Sigma 30mm f/1.4? Probably a more usable focal length, and faster too.

Does seem a bit better - my 50MM is technically a 80MM due to it being cropped, so a 20MM would be a 32MM and a 30MM would be a 48MM.

Rich

Associate
From my experience a 50mm is best (also the cheapest option), I do however sometimes feel I want a 28 or 30mm. But rarely a 20mm! Sure it's great for wide shots of everyone on the stage but I think a 28mm and 50mm is money better spent.

By the way, how much have you seen the 20mm for?

EDIT-another point: Shooting a subject with many layers (i.e. a stage with musicians all over the place) the f1.8 will just make most of it out of focus, and one tiny depth in focus. Although the 20mm will hide this a bit as it's wide. Just something to think about...

Last edited:
Associate
The 20mm Sigma isn't very good optically and is pretty big as it's a full frame lens. I would think you'd be better off getting the Sigma 30mm F1.4

Associate
You did not state what kind of budget you are looking to spend.

As far as the Sigma 30 F1.4 is concirned, it's one major weakness is focus in low or very low light. It can miss focus, or usually you have to go manual focus.

Actually this is my esperience with most of the HSM sigma lenses I have owned/used (compared to Canon USM lenses).

The Sigma 20 F1.8 is rated highly by many people over at FM, but most of them I think are using it as a landscape lens, as I don't think it performs very well wide open.

If you want something in that kind of range, and have money to spend, maybe have a look at the Canon 24 F1.4?

Soldato
OP
I reckon about £250 is my limit although I have a holiday coming up and now I am tempted to get a Sigma 10-20 instead of a gig lens!

hmmm decisions, decisions!

a 50MM canon and a Sigma 10-20MM on holiday would be brilliant!

Rich

Associate
Personally I would try and find myself a 17-40 F4 instead of the ultra wide sigma, unless you know you are really into untra wide angle stuff. But then I take it you already have a kit lens or something like that.

Soldato
for gig stuff a nice wideish prime would be lovely
I think a mate of mine just went for a 20mm on his canon 20D

depends how close you are...
do you shoot local stuff close up? or are you further back?

as for the nikon??! pfft, only nikon I've lusted after is the D200, yummy.
anything else you can keep tbh :p

Soldato
FranchiseJuan said:
Does that answer your question? The operative word in that quote is INSTEAD.

Im not saying the 17-40 is a bad lens, it would be very useful for holiday use. But i assumed as titchard said he was interested in the 10-20, he was after a ultra wide lens. And as its on full frame, even 10mm isn't going to be that ultra.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
for gigging, I use my 50mm 1.8 and my sigma 24-70 2.8 - if the stage is well lit, I get the zoom out, if it's not, the 1.8 comes out - the tricky bit is getting some venues to let you in with a camera, and then getting close enough to the stage :(

Soldato
The 30mm F1.4 is a great lens, IF you find one that works perfectly. It's quite well known for front or rear focussing.

Rather bizarrely somebody ordered 3 for work, and I used the opportunity to give all 3 a try. 2 front focussed quite badly, the 3rd worked well.

If I could get a perfect copy, then i'd get one of those. I like to take quite a few indoor shots, at meals & parties etc.., and I find the 50mm F1.8 to long. So a 30mm F1.4 would really fit the bill! :)

Back
Top Bottom