360 + 16 month warranty - sog act - fun about to start

Permabanned
the-void said:
What did the police do when they came in the other store? You should have asked them to arrest the manager for intimidating behaviour and denying you your legal rights. It would have been so funny to watch him get arrested.

They asked the manager of the store I was in if there had been any problems.
He was confused, had no idea what was going on and said "No, everything is fine".
The 12 year old manager fumed away lol. The police said nothing to me and walked on.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
hashcake said:
It's worth a try don't you think?

once you get an MS repaired one you can probably expect to fail again in a few months - cue looping of said problem. when mine goes (i say when :p ) i'm pushing for refund/replacement only...

Soldato
OP
hashcake said:
I know but yours has suffered from a known issue / common fault.
I have read elsewhere that MS have been repairing out of warranty units free of charge (except for P&P) that have suffered from this issue.
Have you spoken to xbot support about the problem?
Too be honest, I would personally be happy if MS offered to repair it free of charge and if they offered this to you, it might be quicker than getting Trading Standards involved against said retailer.
It's worth a try don't you think?

i went down that road before i even did the store route. MS customer service said that they had extended the warranty to 14 month and that as mine falls outside it they wouldn't offer a free repair. complete farce if you ask me. and all that did was give you an extra 90 days of warranty. be honest if yiou had a repair cost 85 pound and only gave you an extra 90 days cover would you be happy if it failed again 1 week after that date and cost you another 85 to fix it again ???

and a slight update on my story...my facts were slightly wrong. i spoke to consumer direct wales ( which is part of local government ) . they were the ones that told me to give 14 days notice. that time has passes and i phoned them 20 mins ago. they will pass this on to trading standards now who will contact me within the next 7 days.

the cogs move slowly........but they are moving :cool:

Last edited:
Permabanned
Boogle said:
Do companies have to pay for the repair costs for an out of warranty product that can't be replaced, but can be repaired by the manufacturer?
They have various options. Repair, replace, refund an appropriate amount, exchange for a similar product. You of course do not have to accept their offer. If the manufacturer charges to fix it then they are responsible for that repair cost which you might pay and then recover from the retailer via the small claims court.
This of course assumes that the fault is "inherent" i.e. not something you caused by misuse.

Soldato
Best of luck with it and keep us informed.

A mix of lack of free time and pure lazyness meant that I couldn't be bothered going through it with mine.

I just bought a Core which came with Viva Pinata and memory card for £200. I'd wanted Viva Pinata for a while and would have paid £20 for it. Memory card I sold for £12.50. I was going to buy another controller to use for my pc @ £18. Just handed over my bust console for £65 cash.

£200
-£20
-£12.50
-£18
-£65
=£84.50 in real terms for my replacement. Makes it slightly easier to swallow.

If I'd waited another week I could have got Fusion Frenzy 2 as well for the same price plus a £10 voucher back... oh well :p

Associate
TALON1973 said:
i went down that road before i even did the store route. MS customer service said that they had extended the warranty to 14 month and that as mine falls outside it they wouldn't offer a free repair. complete farce if you ask me. and all that did was give you an extra 90 days of warranty. be honest if yiou had a repair cost 85 pound and only gave you an extra 90 days cover would you be happy if it failed again 1 week after that date and cost you another 85 to fix it again ???

and a slight update on my story...my facts were slightly wrong. i spoke to consumer direct wales ( which is part of local government ) . they were the ones that told me to give 14 days notice. that time has passes and i phoned them 20 mins ago. they will pass this on to trading standards now who will contact me within the next 7 days.

the cogs move slowly........but they are moving :cool:

I really hope you win, I understand where you are coming from and MS seem to suck with their attitude towards you.
Us clued up people clearly know that the red lights of death is a design / production fault and MS are treating people badly when it comes to out of warranty units.
Hopefully trading standards are aware of this issue and they should back you all the way.
Something has to give with these big companies and the sooner they realise they can't keep passing on shoddy kit to consumers the better.

Associate
Pug said:
once you get an MS repaired one you can probably expect to fail again in a few months - cue looping of said problem. when mine goes (i say when :p ) i'm pushing for refund/replacement only...

If they are prone to failing yet again then surley there is a design flaw that MS are not willing to share with us?
If anyone following this thread has experienced it, it'd be nice to contact the OP and give him some ammo.
The more ammo he can pass onto trading standards, the better chance he has of beating the big boys.

Jet

Jet

Soldato
hashcake said:
If they are prone to failing yet again then surley there is a design flaw that MS are not willing to share with us?
If anyone following this thread has experienced it, it'd be nice to contact the OP and give him some ammo.
The more ammo he can pass onto trading standards, the better chance he has of beating the big boys.

There is definitely a design fault. There was a big thread a while back in which a poll showed the many people with broken consoles. I voted mine was fine at the time and it later failed.

Permabanned
hashcake said:

I wonder if they simply reflow the main PCB solder and it is not a permanent cure.

Associate
VIRII said:
I wonder if they simply reflow the main PCB solder and it is not a permanent cure.

The view on bad soldering is interesting.
Although I got out of the electronics production industry 10 years ago, I remeber the law coming into play with regard to lead free solder.
I've worked on PCB's that are a lot more dense component wise and I don't remember any issues with the quality of the solder used in flow solder machines.
Yes there were teething problems but from memory, that was more to do with lead free solder supplied on reels and used with a soldering iron.

I don't wish to insult any chinese people who use these forums but I work in IT and I have seen some absolute dire assembly work on some IT kit that's been manufacturered in China.
However, I have also seen some very good PCB production work come out of the better assembly companines in China.

Seeing as the 360 is assembled in China, I would perhaps argue that the solder used in the production could be cheap and sub standard.
I know of one large computer power supply manufacturer who had issues because the assembly contractor changed the specification of a capactitor that was cheaper to buy.
The end result was the contractor being fired and a returns rate of power supplies that surpasses all other major **** ups (except for the 360 :) ) that I have ever seen.

Soldato
OP
** update to the story ** :-

after i sent the first letter to said company involved i had no response. after speaking to trading standards they informed me to send another letter by recorded delivery again and this time tell them that seeing as i've had no response that i'm taking them to court, and with warning that i wont be sending any more letters

i did this and will be taking small claims action asap. whats holding me up was the fact i didn't have a receipt, and that could make things abit tricky.

what i have done tho is phoned the head office of the company and ask for a copy of the transaction i made with my loyalty card at the time. lol the woman said " you do realise it out of warranty? " . like thats going to stop me :p

as soon as i get it then things will proceed :cool: :D

Associate
TALON1973 said:
** update to the story ** :-

after i sent the first letter to said company involved i had no response. after speaking to trading standards they informed me to send another letter by recorded delivery again and this time tell them that seeing as i've had no response that i'm taking them to court, and with warning that i wont be sending any more letters

i did this and will be taking small claims action asap. whats holding me up was the fact i didn't have a receipt, and that could make things abit tricky.

what i have done tho is phoned the head office of the company and ask for a copy of the transaction i made with my loyalty card at the time. lol the woman said " you do realise it out of warranty? " . like thats going to stop me :p

as soon as i get it then things will proceed :cool: :D

a true fighter!!! dont back down!!! You may revolutunize the way microsoft deals with haggered 360's

Soldato
digisatman said:
a true fighter!!! dont back down!!! You may revolutunize the way microsoft deals with haggered 360's

He will be taking the retailer to court and not Microsoft. If anything will happen Micrsoft will probably not be held to blame as much as the retailer may end up settling the matter before the case actually begins/before a decision is made.

Associate
Glad to hear that you aren't backing down. It's amazing the gamut of reactions you get when you actually use the law to enforce something.

I'm in the midst of taking a retailer to small claims court for failing to turn around a RMA in a reasonable amount of time.

They are saying that my gfx card will take 2-3 Months to repair, and that this is 'reasonable', which it clearly is not.

They finally sent a replacement after 47 days which was not as good as the one I had RMAd. Unfortunately I'd already bought a new card, so they can keep that one.

Guess I'll see them in court...

Soldato
OP
RESULT !!!!!!!!!!!

after my 2nd letter which gave them final notice before legal action, ive had a letter from the head office ( i'll print it later ) .

basically as a "good will gesture" cough . they will replace my 360 . just have to send it to them myself. now one or 2 things to iron out but they are closed for BH. want to keep my hard-drive and do i have to send everything or just the box ect.

but i'm well chuffed :cool

Soldato
TALON1973 said:
RESULT !!!!!!!!!!!

after my 2nd letter which gave them final notice before legal action, ive had a letter from the head office ( i'll print it later ) .

basically as a "good will gesture" cough . they will replace my 360 . just have to send it to them myself. now one or 2 things to iron out but they are closed for BH. want to keep my hard-drive and do i have to send everything or just the box ect.

but i'm well chuffed :cool

Firstly nice outcome to your situation.

Secondly I would wait until I could contact said retailer when they are open again and confirm exactly what they want you to send back before I did anything.

Back
Top Bottom