Important announcement regarding Photography Forum Judges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Spie said:
I thought I made it clear that I pay the bandwidth anyway. If I didn't want to I wouldn't.

As for the judges I'm afraid this is a storm in a teacup.

I think maybe he is thinking that you are paying for the bandwidth of the pictures as well and so moving the competition off site would reduce that cost (which he thinks you are complaining about).

I assume the competition doesn't actually take up much bandwidth (comparatively) as all it really adds is a single main discussion thread, a entries thread and a couple of small "which picture?" threads.

Taking it off site would just cause more problems than there already are and have the competition spread over two sites.

Soldato
Amp34 said:
I think maybe he is thinking that you are paying for the bandwidth of the pictures as well and so moving the competition off site would reduce that cost (which he thinks you are complaining about).

Of course I don't think that, but bandwidth was named as a reason why we should be grateful and allow the admins to take control of the competition, and if we could remove that then we could conceivably retain control of the competition. It was, as I said, just a suggestion.

Soldato
I guess that after yesterday evening's big shake up, something was bound to happen.

Perhaps the comps would've straightened out in the next couple of months, but we can't say for sure that they would. We could still be waiting for June's theme in July!

I think that whatever happens, we need to show appreciation for the previous judges, no matter how 'hissy' or 'lazy' they apparently were. They have put in a lot of personal time to these comps, something which they never had to do. They it did for the benefit of the Photography forum, one way or another.

I think a reshuffle as per today is in some respects very necessary. It should bring a good deal of organisation back into the comps, and keep things on track. We do however have to be careful of the judge nominations, but I'm sure between us we'll find a canny bunch.

Nobody needs to fear what might happen. Try it, it could be better in the long run. We certainly shouldn't be fleeing at the sight of Spie's avatar, himself, along with Scuzi will make the comps the way they need to be now. I can't see anything changing at all to be honest, apart from the (hopefully) new and improved timescales and deadlines.

I'll still be entring, that's for sure. The comps are a great way of improving as a photographer, and the judging methods used here are the best I think I've come accross out of any other forums so far (except those that employ similar methods). I say keep the structure as was, perhaps with a bias toward theme marks.

It's not like it's the end of the World...

Soldato
danza said:
Nobody needs to fear what might happen. Try it, it could be better in the long run. We certainly shouldn't be fleeing at the sight of Spie's avatar, himself, along with Scuzi will make the comps the way they need to be now. I can't see anything changing at all to be honest, apart from the (hopefully) new and improved timescales and deadlines.

Oh of course, I don't think anyone's trying to imply that Spie has an interest in destroying the competition or something, it just seems like it's a bit insulting to the people that have put several years of effort into running the competitions only to be told that they're incapable of doing so and that the mods need to step in...

Godfather
Godfather
OP
danza said:
That's the intention.

Godfather
Godfather
OP
robmiller said:
Oh of course, I don't think anyone's trying to imply that Spie has an interest in destroying the competition or something, it just seems like it's a bit insulting to the people that have put several years of effort into running the competitions only to be told that they're incapable of doing so and that the mods need to step in...
OK you can drop the preaching now. You've been a member here for 3 1/2 years during which you've been suspended twice for breaking the forum rules. We took you back but didn't actually need to. You of all people should appreciate still being here instead of whinging about a decision that is pretty insignificant.

Soldato
robmiller said:

I know what you're saying, and I do agree. The thing is, the state the comps were heading toward was utter shambles. It has to be said. Perhaps the Judges were tired of the comps? Perhaps they had too much on? I know I have too much other stuff on to become a judge myself, and hence appreciate why the judges were less than punctual with results sometimes.

It didn't bother me too much to be honest. I can wait. However, there are less patient people. I think though that as the announcer and organiser, Xolotl was a bit like a fish out of water, and after yesterday evenings cry for a new judge blew this all up. It was beginning to look very messy at least.

Caporegime
robmiller said:

Ok, then (please don't take this to personally) it was a bit of a c*** idea to be honest. I can sort of see why you wanted it but it just would'nt work without this forum for it to run so in essence it wouldnt be any different to what is happening now. :o

Soldato
My issue with this is that i've been a judge for a long time now (about a year), and i wasn't even informed that this was happening, nor have i been contacted regarding this. Judging the competition takes HOURS and to be totally ignored in this way seems a little unfair. It might well be nothing to do with me, but i'd have liked to have been informed that this was happening, rather than come onto this forum today and see this post.

Anyway, good luck to everyone, and i do hope that the comp doesn't die out because of this as it's been a great asset to these forums over the years.

Godfather
Godfather
OP
Matt said:
My issue with this is that i've been a judge for a long time now (about a year), and i wasn't even informed that this was happening, nor have i been contacted regarding this. Judging the competition takes HOURS and to be totally ignored in this way seems a little unfair.

I think you missed this bit :-

Spie said:
There have been some excellent Judges in recent months, and all are encouraged to re-apply.

Soldato
danza said:
I'll still be entring, that's for sure. The comps are a great way of improving as a photographer, and the judging methods used here are the best I think I've come accross out of any other forums so far (except those that employ similar methods). I say keep the structure as was, perhaps with a bias toward theme marks.

I'm staying put! I really like the size of this photography section, where as other forums can be like mega cities you get lost in here you get familiar with everyone else.

With regards to the comp I think the structure is fine,but perhaps a stricter timescale for results, 2 weeks maybe? I don't see the need for changing the marking scheme, I've never seen weighted theme marks on any other forum so I don't see why we should do the same. I think its important to allow for an open interpretation of the theme. We have more then one judge so if someone is way off theme the majority of the judges should see this and mark down accordingly. Perhaps at the competition start the classical definition could be posted, then if someone wants to enter an image which is not obviously not in keeping with this interpretation they could post a brief statement explaining they thinking behind the image.... Just an idea!

Also with regards to my still life entry that caused all the fuss, the idea was copied from an article on still life photography! So there must be some connection there somewhere....

Soldato
Spie said:
I think you missed this bit :-

Spie, i don't mean to come across as rude, but that's really not what i meant. It would have been good to have been informed that this was happening before you posted this message. I've been judging the competition for nearly a year and have spent a good deal of time doing so, and it is somewhat unfair to just post this message without making any contact with me regarding this at all.

Anyway, as i've said before, i hope this all works out ok for everyone :) We've had problems with the comp before and recovered well enough!

Soldato
I'm assuming this thread is the reason I'm suddenly getting weird emails about (hmm, this is an attempt to say it in a non obvious, getting myself banned for next to nowt way) "other" forums, closely linked with this one (but not directly).

Yes, that's nice n cryptic :D

Permabanned
ElDude said:
I'm assuming this thread is the reason I'm suddenly getting weird emails about (hmm, this is an attempt to say it in a non obvious, getting myself banned for next to nowt way) "other" forums, closely linked with this one (but not directly).

Yes, that's nice n cryptic :D

Other way round, this thread is an indirect result of the email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom