Kakao Stats and Sub-teams...

Soldato
I'm back from my little assignment-writing hiatus... anything interesting happen while i was away? :p

I found out some interesting things about subteams recently. I believe seti/boinc has them, and although you can have many users folding under one name in folding, it doesn't actually support subteams so the multiple individual users folding under the one name can't see individual stats.

There's a stats site, which does pretty much everything EOC does, called Kakao stats, however unlike EOC it seems to support subteams.
Apparently to define a subteam you must put its name in brackets, and then put a username after it.

Alliance francophone have lots of subteams, which you can see here. Their biggest subteam, [inpact] is here.

I read somewhere that stanford does support subteams, but i'm not sure about that. It doesn't really matter though, because as long as this Kakao stats place supports it we can view subteams properly.

So how about an OcUK subteam?
I've always thought it would be nice to have one for the users who can't really compete with the high output people, or who just don't want to fold on their own. On a team like ours with such a high average ppd per user, it can be hard for the users with lesser outputs to gain traction, and this causes demoralisation and generally makes the whole thing less fun.

I was thinking of something along the lines of [OcUK-Gangsters] or something for a general 'subteam for the masses' which lots of the smaller users can join.

We could probably also have one for the ps3 people perhaps...

What do ya think?

Soldato
That's a great idea for the people who for one reason or another can't compete with the mental folk :D

I had thought about a site where people could add their existing names to lists to be included in subteam stats - however I don't have the time or the knowledge for something like that (just thought it would be a great idea for team races etc)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
rich99million said:
That's a great idea for the people who for one reason or another can't compete with the mental folk :D

Meaning whom, exactly Mr Million? :p

I think it would be a good idea too, as Joe says, it may encourage some of the lower producers to stay in the team - they could even compete with each other within their subteams and still contribute to team 10. Everyone's a winner :D

Stan :)

Soldato
OP
rich99million said:
I had thought about a site where people could add their existing names to lists to be included in subteam stats - however I don't have the time or the knowledge for something like that (just thought it would be a great idea for team races etc)
Our own stats site?

My summer project is to get a webserver going and make a webpage, now that i'm able to.

Unfortunately i haven't yet embarked on the database part of my degree, so it'll take some time before i could do the database type stuff you'd need for stats and whatnot.
Subteam stats sounds good... would you include it in the news or nominate a team leader to do a separate news post or what?

Also, once i learn how to, i'd like to have a crack at making something to do the weekly news for you... it ought to be fairly doable to get something to just crunch the numbers and make the lists.

I'm going to move my opty over to the small producers subteam to get things going, but first we need a name...

The team is going to be people with lower outputs or first time folders, it needs to be hard to misspell, and reflect the sort of people in it... any suggestions?

As i said, i was thinking [ocuk_gangsters] but that doesn't really represent the people in it...

Edit: How about three subteams, one for each avatar? People wouldn't have to have that avatar to join or anything, it just represents the production levels, in a low, medium, high kind of way. Is it better to stick with one do you think?
[ocuk-gangsters], [ocuk-hitmen], [ocuk-wise_guys]

Last edited:
Soldato
It's probably best to let people group together themselves, unless you're planning on starting one for yourself which other people could join.

Once people know that the provision is there for sub-teams I'm sure it won't be long till they find eachother.

Just imo here

Some sort of news website would be great, EOC already gives great stats and graphs but something that could list weekly production stats perhaps with change from last week and all the gubbins usually posted in the news that would be great. The ability to press a button and have the news pop out all pre-formatted would be even better though I'm more than happy to carry on as we are currently on that front - really just need to sort out some automation in terms of saving all the relevant pages incase I forget :p

Soldato
OP
rich99million said:
It's probably best to let people group together themselves, unless you're planning on starting one for yourself which other people could join.

Once people know that the provision is there for sub-teams I'm sure it won't be long till they find eachother.

Just imo here
I was planning on starting one and then making a joining up thread, but only because no-one knows about subteams. I'd also like to have a co-ordinated effort, rather than a mess of subteams with two or three people in each. The reason this thread is here is to see what people would like for a name, and anyone else is welcome to organise it, but i do think someone needs to. Obviously there'll probably be plenty more subteams made in future but i think an 'official' one for the smaller producers would be a good start.

Personally i'll be staying on my own as a user, because once i get myself sorted in a few months time i'll be able to compete quite nicely with the big boys. ;)
Having said that, with my current production i'm not moving anywhere, i'll be in this cell forever according to eoc unless my production changes, so i'd like to join the subteam for a bit...

Edit: Also an official subteam will start things off nicely by making people aware of the subteam feature i think.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know enough PHP and SQL to be able to knock something up [probably :p].

I was planning on making a stats page for the competition but since that seemed to vanish I didn't look into it. I am happy to give it a go and see what happens :D

Soldato
OP
SiriusB said:
I know enough PHP and SQL to be able to knock something up [probably :p].

I was planning on making a stats page for the competition but since that seemed to vanish I didn't look into it. I am happy to give it a go and see what happens :D
The competition isn't dead yet. ;)
I plan to revive it at some point after my exams, and we'll probably want to run it during the summer when everyone is off school. The subteams will make it work much better actually, as we can have subteam categories.

When i get my webserver up in a few months time i'll be happy to host a folding stats page. Indeed i'd be happy to write the main page bit if you could do the content. Maybe knock up a basic page with all the content and then after my exams i'll make a fancy page for it.

I remembered a team name i thought of a week or so ago when i was first thinking about this. [OcUK_Syndicate_of_Gangsters]
What do ya reckon?

Soldato
Team Vindaloo = People with 2K PPD or higher

Team Madras = People with 1K PPD or higher

Team Korma = People with 500 PPD or higher

Team Chip Shop Curry Flavour = The rest :p

Soldato
Joe42 said:
Edit: Ohh btw, whats ubuntu 7 like? Any major improvements over 6 that are worth mentioning, or is it just incremental stuff?
from what I've heard: If it ain't broke....

There's better support for wireless connections apparently as well as support for some newer chipsets - nothing overly exciting that I've heard anyway

edit: Loving the curry-themed teams, though I still reckon you leave it to people who are going to be giving their credit to the subteam to decide :p :D

Soldato
OP
rich99million said:
from what I've heard: If it ain't broke....

There's better support for wireless connections apparently as well as support for some newer chipsets - nothing overly exciting that I've heard anyway
Incremental stuff then really, nothing revolutionary.
I just saw SB saying he was installing it in another thread so i thought i might aswell ask.

I was playing around with it the other day and i need to install some java jdk thing to get Aptana to work. Its not in the package manager and its not an executable file, which presumably means you're dumped back at the command line... sadly it seems even with ubuntu, it still hasn't got a complete gui. I was hoping they might have finally got rid of this command line rubbish in v7 but alas, it seems even with dell starting to ship it they haven't.

I don't understand how its taking so long for someone to actually write a proper gui for it and then remove the command line... how hard can it be to map buttons to every command line option? Or do they not realise that we don't use command lines anymore, and the 99.9% of users who linux needs to appeal to will not use a command line. Its so sad to see an OS with such potential getting almost nowhere because of such a simple thing.

Loving the curry-themed teams, though I still reckon you leave it to people who are going to be giving their credit to the subteam to decide
Problem is most of them have got bored and/or are only casual folders so don't post in here. Its a catch 22.

I only went with the gangster stuff because we're in a gangster themed forum. It can be anything though i suppose. Perhaps something like ocuk stompers?

Not sure if multiple subteams for this user group is a good idea, people with 2,000ppd+ don't need a subteam, they can compete fine within the team as a single entity... the idea was just for a subteam for people with low outputs who can't get into the top 100 or make any progress up it.

Soldato
Joe42 said:
Problem is most of them have got bored and/or are only casual folders so don't post in here. Its a catch 22.
Good point - it's a shame really that we can't have more stickies as a subteam signup thread would be handy for people looking to join up in small groups but I think it would get lost pretty soon.

How's about just calling it [ocuk_folding] ?

edit: all the subteams in your link seem to be in all capitals? that needed or just the way it's displayed on the site? wonder if it's something he does to make them stand out more? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
This is a really good idea - links in with clans/tribes etc from those other activity computers can be used for ;)

And 20 members all producing 150-250ppd makes the 'team' a real player in the stats charts. Not that I think anyone output is secondary or insignificant afterall most 'mental folk' started small taking months to get into the top 100.

Just 5 single machine members all with smp crunching could out proform most of the padden cell 'visitors' here :eek:

As I see it it could go in three main directions:

1) each to their own - as rich says - less hassle but would increase team pimp threads - subject to ego's but hasn't been an issue with menbers of this team so far.

2) The 'One' team (member ppd caped at say 1000ppd) - all members inc (who want too) into one collective team - above 1K member asked to start own account (thats the hard bit) but at 1k+ ppd your in the top 100 in under two months :cool:
team collective help/incouragement and 'mental's' carry on as normal.

3) mentor - as (1) but with the 'mental folk' adopting a team, but probably not inclueing their output - that more a leader and lessers approach some thing that this team doesn't have and is much the better for imho.

Personally I've allways felt part of team 10 when starting a 100ppd and now at 2k ppd - but I guess thats down to my involvement and others members acceptance :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Joe42 said:
Incremental stuff then really, nothing revolutionary.
I just saw SB saying he was installing it in another thread so i thought i might aswell ask.

I was playing around with it the other day and i need to install some java jdk thing to get Aptana to work. Its not in the package manager and its not an executable file, which presumably means you're dumped back at the command line... sadly it seems even with ubuntu, it still hasn't got a complete gui. I was hoping they might have finally got rid of this command line rubbish in v7 but alas, it seems even with dell starting to ship it they haven't.

I don't understand how its taking so long for someone to actually write a proper gui for it and then remove the command line... how hard can it be to map buttons to every command line option? Or do they not realise that we don't use command lines anymore, and the 99.9% of users who linux needs to appeal to will not use a command line. Its so sad to see an OS with such potential getting almost nowhere because of such a simple thing.

The command line is an absolutely integral part of Linux and there is no way anyone could successfully map all the possible commands to buttons. Even if they did it would take years and probably wouldn't work properly. Anything that can be done in the GUI can be done at the command line. It isn't hard to learn either.

Besides, even in Windows a lot of people use the command line. No where near as powerful as that of Linux but it gets used a fair bit.

The only thing that needs doing is making installing software easier for normal people as that can be a pain. However Ubuntu 7 has made things a tad easier as it tells you what packages might be missing if you try to run something that requires it. It even tells you the full command to put in :o

Along with better Wifi support it also has better graphics support so less fiddling about. And the whole OS is generally more refined, secure, up to date etc etc etc. So basically get it installed!

Man of Honour
Soldato
Joe42 said:
Next time you do any processing, try doing every job via the menus: No shortcut keys, and no toolbar icons. Menus all the way. You'll find you slow to a crawl, as every task suddenly demands a multitude of keystrokes/mouseclicks.

Making software "user-friendly" in this fashion is like putting training wheels on a bicycle: It lets you get up & running immediately, without any skill or experience needed. It's perfect for a beginner. But nobody out there thinks that all bicycles should be sold with training wheels: If you were given such a bicycle today, I'll wager the first thing you'd do is remove them for being unnecessary encumbrances: Once you know how to ride a bike, training wheels are unnecessary.

And in the same way, a great deal of Linux software is designed without "training wheels" - it's designed for users who already have some basic skills in place. After all, nobody's a permanent novice: Ignorance is short-lived, and knowledge is forever. So the software is designed with the majority in mind. :)

The preceding was an excerpt from a short essay of excellent quality entitled Linux is NOT Windows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom