Run IDE hard drives on a SATA port

Associate
Hi

A friend is upgrading to a Code 2 Duo rig, but wants to save some cash for now by hanging onto his IDE drives. He's going for a Gigabyte DS3 965 board but it only has one IDE slot.

Is it possible to buy an adapter to convert IDE drives to run on SATA - I couldnt find one on OcUk?

Obviously I dont want links to competitors, but a manufacturer name or something else to go one would be very useful!

cheers

Soldato
I've the ABIT one here running and its solid
I've also used a few of the just PCB ones and they are not quite as solid (had to put some electrical tape on the underside to stop it making contact with anything)
tbh get a PCI IDE card or a new SATA drive

Associate
OP
Nymins said:
Does he want to use an IDE CD/DVD drive and an IDE hard drive on one cable? Cause it is possible and im using that method on the DS3.

I think that causes performance problems doesn't it? AFAIK it's better to have IDE stuff on seperate channels.

Man of Honour
Greyhound said:
I think that causes performance problems doesn't it? AFAIK it's better to have IDE stuff on seperate channels.

It hasn't mattered for years now (5+), if it is only two IDE devices then just use the same cable. Obviously both can't send and receive data at the same time so transfers between CD drive and hard drive will take a bit longer but not worth worrying about. :)

Associate
OP
semi-pro waster said:
It hasn't mattered for years now (5+), if it is only two IDE devices then just use the same cable. Obviously both can't send and receive data at the same time so transfers between CD drive and hard drive will take a bit longer but not worth worrying about. :)

uff! A little bit of knowledge can be worse than none at all - cheers for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom