Email Form On My Webpage Using Dreamweaver Query

Associate
I have created an Email form on my webpage, with First Name, Surname, Email Address, Subject and Comments. i am using mailto: in the actions box which opens up Outlook or Outlook Express when someone goes to use the form. What i would like to happen here is for the email to be sent directly from my page without loading it into the persons email program and then redirecting them to a webpage saying Thankyou your email has been sent successfully. Can someone talk me through how this is done?

Many Thanks in Advance

Associate
Not sure if you can do that without an E-mail system on the web server. I know ive tried before but im not that skilled. I can create a email form in aspx but it requires an exchange server for sending it.

Sorry not much help :mad:

iceman911

Soldato
iceman911 is right you will need to host the form on a server that can provide cgi facilities like perl or PHP these all have libraries that will allow v.easy email facilities.

Associate
PHP has a mail function.

http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

PHP:
$to  = '[email protected]';
$subject = $_POST['subject'];
$message = $_POST['comments'];
$headers = 'From: ' . $_POST['firstname'] . " " . $_POST['surname'] . "\r\n" .
    'Reply-To: ' . $_POST['email'] . "\r\n" .
    'X-Mailer: A PHP Script';

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

It would probobly... No definitely worth putting in IP logging and a spam protection filter on that.

Last edited:
Associate
Instead of having a mailto: link, you instead have a form, method=get, action=your_php_page.php

Then in your php page:
Code:
<?
$recip = $_GET["txtRecip"];
$subject = $_GET["txtSubject"];
$body = $_GET["txtBody"];

mail($recip, $subject, $body, $headers, "From: someemail.com");  

echo "<html><head><title>Thanks</title></head>";
echo "<body> <H1> Thanks for the email! </h1> </body> </html>";

?>

Obvously you need to filter the user content.. remove invalid and sploitable characters, add some spam control etc. But that's the basis of a simple mail form. Note those txtBody txtRecip etc all need to tally with the actual field names on your form.
So your form needs to be like
input type="text" name="txtRecip"

Then you have a submit button to click on, rather than a mailto link

Back
Top Bottom