My new toys.

Soldato
My new toys arrived, just in time for the weekend. :D

pict00202zf6.jpg

pict00212wa3.jpg

I got a Manfrotto 190XProB Tripod with a 322RC2 head. And as a bonus, my Hoya R72 IR filter finally turned up. Now bring on the sunny days! :)

Caporegime
You do know it's supposed to rain for the next couple of weeks right? ;)

How much was the tripod by the way? I'm still looking for one. :(

Soldato
OP
Amp34 said:
You do know it's supposed to rain for the next couple of weeks right? ;)

How much was the tripod by the way? I'm still looking for one. :(

Meh, the IR reds will have to wait then. I'll just do long exposure water shots instead. ;) Anyway, im off to a limestone pavement tomorrow for some shots.

The whole setup, ie tripod+head cost £174. Its quite expensive, but the tripod is really good quality and will last me for ages.

Godfather
Godfather
messiah khan said:
My new toys arrived, just in time for the weekend. :D
I got a Manfrotto 190XProB Tripod with a 322RC2 head. And as a bonus, my Hoya R72 IR filter finally turned up. Now bring on the sunny days! :)
Why did you buy that particular tripod? Features/price/build quality?

Soldato
OP
Spie said:
Why did you buy that particular tripod? Features/price/build quality?

As you've said, a combination of features,price and build quality. My main criteria when looking was a relatively low weight, and low minimum height, as I enjoy doing macro shots. Initially I was going to go for the Velbon Ultra-Maxi-SF, as its silly light and has a 15.7cm minimum height. But then I thought that I should invest a bit more, and get a really good quality tripod that not only would work well for light macro work, but also cope with every other eventuality as well. After my research, I got it narrowed down to the Manfrotto 055ProB or the 190XPROB as both have got raving reviews and have the specs I was after. The 190XPROB won in the end due to it being slightly ligther and even lower minimum height.

Godfather
Godfather
Your thread inspired me to dig out my tripod. It's a Manfrotto 055CL which is currently fitted with a 460Mg head. I have a ball and socket head too somewhere. I'l dig it out tomorrow.

How does this compare to your new tripod? I bought it around 6 years ago so I'm not sure if it's still current.

EDIT: Just found it - Manfrotto #168 Ball and Socket head.

Soldato
OP
This is my first decent tripod, so I can't really comment on the 055CL. Having said that, the specs on the Manfrotto site seems very good. 8cm minimum height, 178cm max height and 2.3kg weight. That makes it quite similar to the 055ProB, except the 055CL can't have the centre coloumn horizontal afaik. In the end though, a tripods a tripod. All its designed to do is hold your camera steady, so I wouldn't have thought they have changed very much in 6 years. The head you've got looks ok. Beware that it only has a 3kg max weight capacity, so you might want to be carefull if your throwing huge lenses on it.

Associate
It's still current as I'm sure it does the job.

The more exotic materials are widely available now, like carbon fiber or basalt, which give the strength of a metal tripod, at a lighter weight, and they transmit vibration less than a metal tripod.

I've got the 055MF3 MAGFIBER with the same 322RC2 head, happy with both.

If I was buying again now, I'd look at the kirk quick release heads, as they do an L bracket for the D80 that I think would be useful for switching landscape to portrait quickly.

Back
Top Bottom