Barcelona

Associate
I'm going for 4 days and I'm planning on taking a bare minimum of equipment.

Has anyone else been? I've heard that the architecture is the most outstanding aspect of the place.

Provisionally I'm thinking of taking:

20D + 10-22 EFs (w/polariser) for architecture

70-200F4 or 50mm 1.4 (can't decide)

Any thoughts?

Soldato
I have been loads of times, its a really great city to visit, really big and lots to snap up. Any from below are worth visiting

La Sagrada Familia
Barcelona FC
Las Ramblas
Montjuic (fountain)
Park Guell

Soldato
If it's buildings you're planning on taking most shots of then the wide angle. If it's candid shots, then the 50mm. The 50mm lens is so small you might aswell take both, but leave the 70-200 at home, as I wouldn't have thought you'd be needing that.

Associate
I've done Barcelona and took a Sigma 10-20, Canon 50 f/1.8 and a 100-400 L IS. The 100-400 L IS really didn't get used at all. The 10-20 spent almost all the time on my camera. You aren't likely to need the 70-200, your 10-22 will be very useful.

La Sagrada Familia is great for very wide shots...

IMG_4453.jpg

and you should also pay a visit to more of Gaudi's building and La Casa Batllo in particular...

IMG_4410.jpg

Soldato
Wow Gord! Your pics make me want to go to Spain.:( I'll have to see if I can persuade my Mum to go on holiday there sometime.

I think we've mentioned it and both agreed that we'd rather go to Madrid/Barcelona/Valencia etc where the "real" Spain is rather than add to the number of expats and Brit holiday makers on the Costa del Sol.:rolleyes:

Someone posted some cracking pics of the L'Hemisphere is it in Valencia? Was on another forum but the architectural work involved was stunning. Not to mention the weather.:)

Associate
I found I used 50-60mm most when I was there a few weeks back. There are a number of good shooting locations where you can see amazing architecture at a bit of a distance, such as the Sagrada Familia from the roof of Case Mila.

Associate
Concorde Rules said:
Gord if you ever fancy giving away an old lens ill have it... lol :p

Gotta say most of your work is very good :D

Thank you very much and you have no chance of a lens unless I win the lottery and move to a 1D N Mark III :p

MarcLister said:
Wow Gord! Your pics make me want to go to Spain.:( I'll have to see if I can persuade my Mum to go on holiday there sometime.

I only got to spend one day in Barcelona before heading up the coast to the Costa Brava area but it was an absolutely fantastic day. The weather didn't play ball (had a huge thunderstorm) but it didn't stop my enjoyment. If you get the chance - go! I intend to go back out again, maybe this year.

Sleepyd said:
Thanks for the replies guys, it loks like I'll go with the 10-22 and 50mm combo then :)

Nice shots too!

Cheers! One last thing to add, when you go to the La Sagrada Familia make sure you go up the spire and across the bridge to the other spire. The queue can be long but it's well worth it. Once up there you can wonder around for as long as you want and it gives you some great views over the city. I'm scared of heights and it was in the middle of thunderstrom but I'd still say it was one of the highlights of my trip.

Don't forget to post up your photos when you get back!

Back
Top Bottom