Maths help please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Expanding the brackets should make it a lot clearer :)

EDIT:

The way I read your post was that you dont want the question answered for you, just a nudge in the right direction.

Caporegime
Multiply out the brackets first so you get

6s + 15 + 4s - 12 = 43

Collect like terms

10s + 3 = 43

Subtract 3 from both sides

10s = 40

Divide both sides by 10

s = 4

Permabanned
Must suck when your 12-14 year old son asks for help with his maths homework and you have to come on a forum to find out how to do it.

Soldato
Admiral Huddy said:
^^ How did you guess.. It's been 22 years since i've been at school.. I must have been asleep during that lesson. :o
LOL. I never did this at school but I did this last year for Uni. Its probably one of the more advanced mathematical "fings" I can do.

I have to say my father was useless as a maths help for homework. Not because he was crap but because he was brilliant at maths. He'd try and explain it and I'd end up with a headache. He read Stephen Hawking books and stuff and I think just couldn't simplify the maths for me to a level I could understand.:rolleyes:

Soldato
Calder said:
Must suck when your 12-14 year old son asks for help with his maths homework and you have to come on a forum to find out how to do it.
But to be fair it's inevitable. If you don't need to use these things for your job then you aren't going to remember them. If I ever have kids I might be able to help them with their maths homework but I wouldn't have a clue when it came to something like english.

Soldato
MarcLister said:
LOL. I never did this at school but I did this last year for Uni. Its probably one of the more advanced mathematical "fings" I can do.
You really should have done this at GCSE? I remember starting this sort of stuff at primary school, so I've no idea how you'd get away without even being force fed it! :eek:

Associate
PMKeates said:
You really should have done this at GCSE? I remember starting this sort of stuff at primary school, so I've no idea how you'd get away without even being force fed it! :eek:

Yea I remember the "I think of a number" method.

Soldato
PMKeates said:
Nup no memories of doing this. Must have missed that lesson.;)

Soldato
Calder said:

Guys, instead of posting for help on the forum, direct everything to Calder's trust, because by the sounds of things he can answer anything! :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
OP
Calder said:

Not really, I've got by for 39 years without knowing so I'm sure I'll survive another night.

I'm not proud for asking. I've admitted to them that I don't know and I'll seek the answers.
;)

Thanks to those who replied with a sensible answer.

Permabanned
Admiral Huddy said:
^^ How did you guess.. It's been 22 years since i've been at school.. I must have been asleep during that lesson. :o
Threads about your changing homelife and the level of difficulty clued me in.
Admiral Huddy said:
I'm not proud for asking. I've admitted to them that I don't know and I'll seek the answers.
Knowing when to ask for help is one of life's harder lessons.

Permabanned
Calder said:

Must suck to be an arrogant individual who thinks a parent must know everything and shouldn't ask for help when they themselves are stuck.

Permabanned
iCraig said:
Must suck to be an arrogant individual who thinks a parent must know everything and shouldn't ask for help when they themselves are stuck.

The only maths I remember is the fundamentals, basic algebra, trigonometry and percentages/fractions because they are the only things I use day to day :)

I would be stuffed if I had a kid that wanted help with their maths homework tbh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom