Differences Samsung r87 & r88

Soldato
Does anyone know if there are any differences between the new samsung r78 and r88 models.
Looking at the specs they are identical except for the colours on the front - one has a blue accent on the front while the other is silver.

Associate
lsg1r said:
Does anyone know if there are any differences between the new samsung r78 and r88 models.
Looking at the specs they are identical except for the colours on the front - one has a blue accent on the front while the other is silver.

I have the R87 , i have no blue accent on the front , look on Samsung uk web-site

Soldato
How highly would you rate your R87 ? any issues with it at all. I am looking at getting a lcd tv soon and would like some more info about this one.

Associate
The trouble of was having

Better example is when u finish a game then screen goes to black background you can still see faint out line of text or mark ect on screen after game has ended ,no problems when playing normal dvd`s on ps3 or when on pc using lcd as display

Now sorted , using better HDMI cable ;) cracking picture via HDMI and when laptop via VGA its a stunning picture , saving for 40 inch version ;)

Soldato
OP
I did check the uk site first and thats why I'm asking becasue they look identical but you can save around 50 quid on the r87 versus the r88 meaning theres got to be something different in my view :)

Soldato
The main differences are if it has the BD which denotes the built-in freeview.

I thought the difference between 87/88 was simply the coloured bit at the bottom of the screen.

Associate
iraiguana said:
The main differences are if it has the BD which denotes the built-in freeview.

I thought the difference between 87/88 was simply the coloured bit at the bottom of the screen.

It would have been nice to have that blue glow at the bottom ;)

Last edited:
Associate
After playing with my R87 , i can now connect my laptop from DVI via HDMI2 , its a cracking picture 1360 x 786 ;) i did no this could be done only via VGA very happy

Last edited:
Associate
Im looking to buy the 40" R88. I saw one in Curries and its a real nice bit of kit. 3 x HDMI inputs will come in usefull. ;)

Associate
I bought the 26" R88. Its my first LCD so it looks pretty stunning to my eyes. A lot seems to depend on the quality of the data thats being sent to it however. Some cable films and progs look amazing, others are pretty standard. It looks fantastic though. Very nice design.

Soldato
That is the one i am looking at getting too, what would you say the sd picture is like generally? As i will probably be running off the freeview for the majority of the time.

Associate
I would get it from a place you could return it to if you are not happy but to be fair, the display was the best in the entire showroom. I went next door to PCWorld and thought the same. Your mileage might vary as they say but it really is superb when the quality being delivered is high.

Associate
I got told that the R88 was made for a group of companies (purple shirt brigade included) and that if it went wrong you would have trouble getting it repaired unless it went back to that group. This came from a little independant store. Apparently thought there is no difference with the electronics inside just a little cosmetic difference here and there.

Also with the different model number it means that price matching can't be done unless the models are identical.

Back
Top Bottom