E6600 Temps

Associate
not to burst your bubble or anything with buying AS5 etc...

but the Thermal gunk that comes with the AC7 series coolers is as good if not better after a burn-in period (takes ~200hours of use to really 'set')
AS5 take a smaller burn-in (unsure but think ~70 hours) to reach maximum performance so it might have been a null move replacing the stock gunk with AS5.

As for your temps, another PC fan might help, but think carefully about airflow in your case, is there already a good stream of cool air flowing through it? would another fan, though cooling the CPU, direct air away from the GFX?

checking the voltage settings is worthwhile, 1.325 is stock, but 1.4 is probally much mroe stable and gives Overclocking headroom, provided temps are good.

If you're still having temp problems, consider lapping the cooler and CPU (lapping=polishing with increasingly fine emmery cloth) this is time-consuming but can weild good results (I saw a 5'C drop in temps using same cooler, same chip). I lap starting from 400-grade emmery then 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000. I'm a bit obsessed though :p you'd probally see a noticable improvement stopping anywhere above 1500-grade.

all in, best of luck mate.

Mikey out.

Soldato
OP
Mikebert4 said:
not to burst your bubble or anything with buying AS5 etc...

but the Thermal gunk that comes with the AC7 series coolers is as good if not better after a burn-in period (takes ~200hours of use to really 'set')
AS5 take a smaller burn-in (unsure but think ~70 hours) to reach maximum performance so it might have been a null move replacing the stock gunk with AS5.

As for your temps, another PC fan might help, but think carefully about airflow in your case, is there already a good stream of cool air flowing through it? would another fan, though cooling the CPU, direct air away from the GFX?

checking the voltage settings is worthwhile, 1.325 is stock, but 1.4 is probally much mroe stable and gives Overclocking headroom, provided temps are good.

If you're still having temp problems, consider lapping the cooler and CPU (lapping=polishing with increasingly fine emmery cloth) this is time-consuming but can weild good results (I saw a 5'C drop in temps using same cooler, same chip). I lap starting from 400-grade emmery then 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000. I'm a bit obsessed though :p you'd probally see a noticable improvement stopping anywhere above 1500-grade.

all in, best of luck mate.

Mikey out.

Well thankfully, with the new AS5 paste, I am receiving a 1 - 2C decrease in temp, but it still shouldn't really be this high. I'll post when I fit the new fan, and include the results.

Soldato
OP
Heh I've looked all over the house - and it seems I no longer have a fan available :p
I was considering going in the watercooling direction... Would you recommend it?

Soldato
Marky said:
Heh I've looked all over the house - and it seems I no longer have a fan available :p
I was considering going in the watercooling direction... Would you recommend it?

Always, if you are gonna OC and have the dough then deffo go water! I will when I get a quad core CPU (when they get a bit faster) as they will need it I reckon.

Soldato
OP
keogh said:
Always, if you are gonna OC and have the dough then deffo go water! I will when I get a quad core CPU (when they get a bit faster) as they will need it I reckon.

Well if I go watercooling I will definatly be overclocking the system... I may go for the swiftech ultra - it looks watercooling-n00b-friendly...

Soldato
Marky said:
Well if I go watercooling I will definatly be overclocking the system... I may go for the swiftech ultra - it looks watercooling-n00b-friendly...

Yep agreed, the Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra looks cool (excuse the pun), although I might do a custom jobbie when I do mine, but I will read more into it once I get started with that.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom