Have you ever submitted a peice of university coursework that was completly terrible?

Permabanned
Erm, EVERY piece of CW I submitted was terrible. I never got over 40% for any of my coursework. I hate coursework, it requires too much constant effort. I perform well in exams, which makes up for my poor CW though.
I got 2.1 in my 2nd year with awful coursework (CW usually worth ~25%).

Soldato
I recently handed in a composition about 2 weeks too late :D It was finished I just couldn't be bothered travelling back to Uni to hand it in, I would have got a first but barely scraped a pass in the end, first year though and everything, so meh.

Associate
I am currently sitting my second year law exams and i am doing all nighters and my body is running on caffine! I actually feel sick! But its because i left it to the last minute, like i did last year. I told myself this time last year that things would be different, but things havent changed.

All you can do is your best. And keep pushing on. If your just lazy and dont do the work then tough, but if you have give it your all, even if it is hours before an exam on hours before you hand it in, then atleast you are living to your potential.

Soldato
Yeh I've done this numerous times.....

Last semester I wrote a whole module (it was a 100% marked essay) after coming in from a 5 hour drinking session in the SU. I managed to pass though, just.

Last week I handed in a poor poor module of work again, forgot to Spell check the very short writeup (half the length it was meant to be) and the practical side was rushed as I couldn't get the damn software working properly...

Currently working on the 3rd piece of work to hand in this semester, probably the most pointless module ever, what we are supposed to be learning from it only god knows, so will just do enough to get me to pass. Then onto the drawings I have to do for this friday.

I look forward to next year where the work should hopefully be interesting enough for me to feel like putting a decent amount of effort it.

Like quite a few people here I'm in my first year, and none of my work counts towards my degree except in getting me into next year.

Watch this space I guess!

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

yeah i am really bad , about half my work its totally dodgy! i dont know why they keep letting me get away with it!
we have good lecturers though, i am sure if they thought i wasn't trying they would chuck me!

seems to be a running theme with overclockers really :eek: :D :p

Soldato
Group assignments are always a pain in the backside. I had one this semester, with a guy who could barely write readable English, im dreading the mark to be honest :(

Soldato
Welshy said:
Group assignments are always a pain in the backside. I had one this semester, with a guy who could barely write readable English, im dreading the mark to be honest :(
Are you here at Staffs Uni aswell?
If so what year? (are you the Welshy that does the quiz's in the SU by any chance :p)

Last semester I had a ridiculous group project. 7 of us in the group, and could barely get hold of 3 members of the group. One of them we couldn't get hold of at all, he was in charge and lost us £30% of the available marks because he never told us that we had a group meeting with one of the lecturers.....

Soldato
PinkFloyd said:
Are you here at Staffs Uni aswell?
If so what year? (are you the Welshy that does the quiz's in the SU by any chance :p)
lol, no im not that Welshy, but i do know him. I'm second year, and possibly one of the only gingers in the year... :p

Soldato
PinkFloyd said:
*Keeps an eye out for a 2nd year ginger :p

There's quite a few in this year, enough of them in my block alone.... (Levedale *** !)
:O Levedale, i was there :D room 43!!

Won't be in uni a lot for a while, got a few exams and that's about it, then im going on a years placement. You'll be lucky if you spot me :p

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
i hate doing coursework, any essay i do, no matter how good i think i have done it, always seem to get a bad grade, couldnt believe it when i got 35% in one few months ago :eek: ok so i did an all nighter doing it the night before it was due in, and spend half that time playing counter-strike on LAN with some random noobs...

anyway got exam in 6 hours need sleep :/

Jet

Jet

Soldato
I've never handed in a terrible piece of work that I can think of but I've also never handed in a piece of work that i've given 100% to.

I've done about 9 courseworks for my degree and I think i've stayed up all night the night before to finish every one. I literally cannot start an essay until the last minute. Everytime, I say i'll start earlier next time but it never happens. I wonder what mark I could get if I actually made an effort.

You'll notice i'm up now at 4:30 trying to finish off yet another essay lol. :p :(

Una

Una

Associate
My group project work has been pretty terrible recently (though its over with now). Having to submit substandard work just to meet the deadline becauses others are too lazy to make a good job of it.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I generally try and make my coursework as good as possible (because I always think I'll do rubbish in the exams :p). I do have a bad habit of not bothering to read over all of what I've wrote though, I'm just glad I've finished.

My references section is usually dodgy though; generally because I bookmark lots of sites and don't keep track of which were used for certain bits. Plus I find the Harvard referencing system to be more work than it should be - what's wrong with just the URL or book name? :p.

I did find the Harvard Bibliography Generator to be handy though.

Soldato
Off topic

Do second year work actually counts towards a degree or is just non-sense?

EDIT
I do my best not to hand in a crapy work and work to the fullest of my ability but sometimes, one get cuaght up trying to juggle time between uni, work and other things.

Soldato
lol most are, still get over 70 in 90% of them :D

In my 3rd year individual project i wrote it in a week (8000 words), and didn't check it properly through, as i was soo into it that i missed the errors. Tutor saw me a week later and commented on my interesting figure labeling system in one section. Apparently i left 5 labels in the main text as 'see (Fig. 8928969283278)', which i scrambled in before coming up with the correct numebrs (to be added later).

Now our 4th year group project is in tomorrow, but this one looks and reads perfectly, and our machine has been highly praised and is legendary throughout the lab especially with curious 1st + 2nd years, and will get us over 70% :D

Soldato
best thing about my course and group assignments, we do a peer assessment and the marks are allocated by that.

4 people in my group, 1 person never turned up or did a thing, so in the peer assessment you have 400points to split between 4 people, if everyone ends up with 400pts then you get 100% of the final mark.
But as mr bloggs decided never to turn up and we do the work, he got 15/400 whilst the other 3 people got around 550/400. So when we do get the mark back thats probably 40%, means we will get 55% and he gets erm 1.5%

JUSTICE :) :)

edit:

2nd year marks count on our degree.
1st year = nothing
2nd year = 10%
3rd year placement = 15%
4th year = 75%

If you dont do placement then 2nd year becomes 25% :)

Back
Top Bottom