Pounds and ounces 'in EU victory'

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
Is that right? I didn't know that :)
Which bit? The Romans and their numerals follow Base 10 (X being ten).
Centurions having 100 men, I think a Legion was 1000.
December was the 10th month, November the 9th, October the 8th etc.
Dec... Oct....

Julius Caesar (I think) is responsible for July and Augustus for August. A bit of one upmanship I think.

That might all be urban myth but afaik it is true.

Chronos-X said:

Gah. Bloody Romans, what did they ever do for us?

Permabanned
philhoole said:
I believe that a number system based on 12 was used as it is divisible by 2,3,4 and 6 which made mental calculations easier.
Interesting point. 12 was popular here with Dozens and grosses etc.

Permabanned
VIRII said:
Which bit? The Romans and their numerals follow Base 10 (X being ten).
Centurions having 100 men, I think a Legion was 1000.
December was the 10th month, November the 9th, October the 8th etc.
Dec... Oct....

Julius Caesar (I think) is responsible for July and Augustus for August. A bit of one upmanship I think.

That might all be urban myth but afaik it is true.
The bit about July and August mostly :)

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
The bit about July and August mostly :)

July is the seventh month of the year in the Gregorian Calendar and one of seven Gregorian months with the length of 31 days.

July begins (astrologically) with the sun in the sign of Cancer and ends in the sign of Leo. Astronomically speaking, the sun begins in the constellation of Gemini and ends in the constellation of Cancer.

July was renamed for Julius Caesar, who was born in that month. Previously, it was called Quintilis in Latin, since it was the fifth month in the ancient Roman calendar, before January became the first month of the calendar year (the year when displayed as twelve months in order) during the time of the decemvirs about 450 BC. In the pagan wheel of the year July ends at or near to Lughnasadh in the northern hemisphere and Imbolc in the southern hemisphere.

August is the eighth month of the year in the Gregorian Calendar and one of seven Gregorian months with the length of 31 days.

August begins (astrologically) with the sun in the sign of Leo and ends in the sign of Virgo. Astronomically speaking, the sun begins in the constellation of Cancer and ends in the constellation of Leo.

This month was originally named Sextilis in Latin, because it was the sixth month in the ancient Roman calendar, which started in March about 750 BC under Romulus. It became the eighth month either when January and February were added to the beginning of the year by King Numa Pompilius about 700 BC or when those two months were moved from the end to the beginning of the year by the decemvirs about 450 BC (Roman writers disagree). It was renamed in honor of Augustus in 8 BC because several of the most significant events in his rise to power, culminating in the fall of Alexandria, fell in this month. August originally had 29 days in the Roman Republican calendar, but two days were added to it by Julius Caesar beginning 45 BC giving it its modern total of 31 days. Augustus did not take a day from February when Sextilis was renamed in his honor. See Month lengths.

N00B. :p You're clearly NOT a timelord.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July

Caporegime
Longbow said:
28.8k Worked, why change it? Oh yeah, to improve....

It's not about changing it.

They didn't BAN 28.8k when 56k came out did they? That is the argument in this thread. Stop posting stupid analogies that don't work...

And for the guys in this thread if you went up to a woman in a club and went "hey, im 15cm" what would you get? A rather bemused look thats what.

Metric is useful but so is imperial, Imperial is more intuative, it may not be as scientific but is a lot easier to guess distances.

1 inch= 1 section of finger
1ft= Well an average sized foot
1yd= a average pace

It's not just oldies that use imperial. I use both depending on what is more convinient to what I am measuring. (I'm 20)

And a little more, when's the last time you went into a builders merchants an and heard someone say "Can I have some 150mm by 50mm" never, they say 6 by 2.

Metric measurements are a little like christmas. All the measurements are actually Imperial, they just converted them to metric, which is why you buy 2.272 litres of milk. Much like christmas is a pagan festival.

And for all you Scientific metric lovers, explain the nautical mile... ;)

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
/woosh

That's way over my head ;)

I am surprised (impressed) that you are so knowledgeable about the subject though.

Well I just thought I'd share my 2 farthings worth :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm all for standardisation.

After measurements, I think Europe should look at standardising language. Since English is the most widely spread language, obviously we should adopt it as the official first language of Europe. We'd save lots of money on interpreters and getting every EU document translated into a million languages. European music and films might also find a greater audience too, if people were banned from speaking their native tongue.

Man of Honour
Amp34 said:
And for the guys in this thread if you went up to a woman in a club and went "hey, im 15cm" what would you get? A rather bemused look thats what.

To be fair if anyone in here walks up to a woman in a club and says "I'm 6 inches", I'd expect much the same bemusement from the woman in question and quite possibly pity and/or a slap. So I wouldn't pick on other people for posting analogies that don't work if you are going to do the same. :)

Caporegime
semi-pro waster said:
To be fair if anyone in here walks up to a woman in a club and says "I'm 6 inches", I'd expect much the same bemusement from the woman in question and quite possibly pity and/or a slap. So I wouldn't pick on other people for posting analogies that don't work if you are going to do the same. :)

Well yes, it was a bit of a joke, I just forgot the smilie. ;)
(Anyone who actually does that in a club deserves more than a slap)

I was just pointing out another thing that is measured in imperial, if you collate them together you will see in general life, even for people only taught metric, imperial is used far more often...

Why can we not just have metric for scientific and imperial for everything else like we have now?

Just to back me up, remember the "how tall are you?" thread? All but 1 person put their height and weight up in imperial.

Associate
VIRII said:
It cracks me up to hear some newly qualifed electronics bod describing engineers as not being craftsmen.
Engineers were by their very definition HANDS ON people who used spanners etc. Was Brunel not an ENGINEER then? He designed and built ..... doubt he had a degree......

I did not say that engineers are not craftsmen. Engineering is a process that covers the whole process from research and design to manufacture and construction.

Brunel was a true engineer, he designed, he worked on science and he also developed the methods to manufacture. That makes him an engineer.
The number of "degree educated" engineers that I come across that simply don't have a clue about mechanics or structures is shocking - especially as most of my work is defence and aerospace.
I have little knowledge of mechanics or structural physics, but this doesn't make me a bad electronic engineer. Just because a field of engineering does not cover the same disciplines of another is irrelevant.
I agree with you though AJUK a washing machine repairman is not an engineer. A repairman /mechanic is a repairman/mechanic. Someone who sits on autocad all day drawing circuit diagrams is not an engineer in my mind.

As for the comments about construction not being engineering...... LOL. I guess bridges and railways etc aren't engineering? Skyscrapers aren't engineering?
Construction is an integral part of engineering, but the two are not the same. A bricky is not an engineer in the same way that a car mechanic or a repairman is not.

Associate
AJUK said:
No we don't. There are 24 hours in a day, not 10, there are 60 minutes in an hour not 100 and there are 60 seconds in a minute. Nothing base 10 about that at all.

You just proved my point. There are 24 hours in a day, not K hours in a day. The quadrovigesimal system counts from 0 to K, as does Hexadecimal from 0 to F and Denery or Decimal from 0 to 9.

Just because something is measured in the decimal system does not require it to have a range of multiples of 10.

Last edited:
Soldato
Von Luck said:
Eh? :confused:

Why would anyone want to retain the ridiculous mixed system we currently have? Anything that finally pushes us into a fully metric system should be applauded.

Because the EU's single largest trading partner (16 trillion euros or something) uses pounds and ounces.
It would make anyone who invoices in imperial a criminal.
But dont let quite major facts like that get in the way.

Associate
atpbx said:
Because the EU's single largest trading partner (16 trillion euros or something) uses pounds and ounces.
It would make anyone who invoices in imperial a criminal.
But dont let quite major facts like that get in the way.
Very biased, I have to agree with Von Luck anyway.

Permabanned
mosfet said:
I did not say that engineers are not craftsmen. Engineering is a process that covers the whole process from research and design to manufacture and construction.

Brunel was a true engineer, he designed, he worked on science and he also developed the methods to manufacture. That makes him an engineer.

I have little knowledge of mechanics or structural physics, but this doesn't make me a bad electronic engineer. Just because a field of engineering does not cover the same disciplines of another is irrelevant.

Construction is an integral part of engineering, but the two are not the same. A bricky is not an engineer in the same way that a car mechanic or a repairman is not.

So the Iron Bridge is not a feat of Engineering? The London Underground is not engineering? Original engineers had nothing whatsoever to do with electronics back in the days of steam engines when the term ENGINEER was coined. I think you'll also find that Brunel got his hands dirty as did all the original engineers. I think that you are confusing a "brickie" or other labourer with the engineering involved in making a skyscraper or bridge or tunnel or any other major construction.
Early electrical engineers were also very hands on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom