Could someone please explain this?

Associate
Taken from the hardware forum posted by Supernova9 (hope you don't mind)

Quote: 2GB would be enough, if you wanted 4GB I'd buy another set of the Ballistix, that stuff overclocks like a beast. Of course the full 4GB would only be recognised by Vista 64, so unless you're planning on installing that straight off, I'd stick with 2GB for now. UnQuote

Does this indicate that prebuilt/self build computers with 4GB ram must use Vista Premium 64 and that systems using Vista 32 would not get the benefits of the full 4GB?

I'd appreciate easy to understand (not too technical) answers please!

Suspended
Yeah, basically 32-bit Architechtured windows only supports 3.25GB or something weird.... X64 Windows such as Windows XP x64 or Windows Vista Ultimate x64 (for example) will (should) take full use of the 4GB installed...

Associate
OP
Thanx for your reply. I think I'm on very unsound ground here.

Is premium 64 backwards compatible (if that's the correct term), ie will it do all that 32 will do but 32 won't do all that 64 is capable of? Or if one gets 64 is it likely that earlier programs which ran on Windows XP (and I suppose my home edition is 32 or less) will not install?

It's just that I'm considering getting a new computer with Vista and would like to have (in use) 4GB memory, and of course would like to be able to use all the programs I'm currently using on XP.

Yes I know, my wife says I was born difficult :D

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Most programs work on x64 Vista, some don't. Tho majority of the ones that don't will probably be upgraded to work at some stage.

Suspended
Yep x64 Home Premium is backwards compatible as x32 version (x64 Version has two folders for Program files.... one for x64 programs and one for x86/x32 bit programs :D

Soldato
Running vista 64 on an evga 680i mobo, with 4gig of geil ddr2 (at correct speeds/timings). My friend has the asus 680i board, and couldnt get 4gb to work. Would either crash, not post, or only see it as 667 ram.

Back
Top Bottom