Guardian launches weekly Islamic podcast - Islamophonic

Soldato
Golly, an attempt to try and educate non-muslims about Islam and balance out the overwhelmingly anti-Islamic stance of the majority of the popular press. Curse those tree-hugging lefty liberals.

Permabanned
Von Luck said:
Golly, an attempt to try and educate non-muslims about Islam and balance out the overwhelmingly anti-Islamic stance of the majority of the popular press. Curse those tree-hugging lefty liberals.
They'd do better to spend their time educating muslims about the UK and how to live here and fit in without causing strife.

Associate
Being as I've been out of the country for a few weeks, I've not followed the English press - I can however tell you that I've not heard it mentioned once over here in Austria, they all seem to have managed not to be outraged about it.

Am I to assume it's therefore had mass coverage it lots of other areas of the press, who, it seems fair to say, also have their own agendas? Of course every paper has an agenda of its own, depending on target demographic and influence of the owner. I couldn't care less if the Guardian has a slightly pro-Islam agenda - evidently you do, as it quite clearly contradicts your own. I see it as bringing some sort of balance to the criticism/fear of all things Islam elsewhere in the news. Just read what you enjoy reading, or, as it seems in the case of some, spends more time examining papers you know you'll disagree with to give you a daily dose of outrage.

Anyway, I'm off to the pub, I swore to myself before I'm never get involved in these "discussions" on here.

Last edited:
Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Or maybe we are being fed a regular stream of information relevant to a tiny, tiny minority becasue it fits with an agenda of the paper...

If you just replace the word paper with OP then I think we have quite succinctly summed up Mr CBS.

There is not a 'Hinduphonic' as you describe as it is not relevant to what the people want to hear about. Hindu people are not (in the nicest possible way, being Hindu myself) exactly headline news. Like it or not, for better or for worse Islam is a big media story these days. If we didn't want to read about it we'd buy other papers and they'd get the hint. Similarly my mind boggles when watching the adverts for Gratzia, Hello, etc. Who cares who which celeb has a saggy waistline? I don't, but evidently there are people who do, and so the stories are printed.

Permabanned
Von Luck said:
Regardless of what you talk about, it would be a more interesting read than any of the tosh that cbs posts.
That does rather beg the question "why do you read it then?"

Soldato
porkrind said:

lol @ quoting wikidpedia like it is a reliable source for such information!

CBS, did a Muslim upset you today? You seem to post anything Muslim you can throw your words at, I guess GD is not without the Muslim bashing threads/attempts though!

If anything you are reading to much into it, Islam is a hot topic amongst people and media and The Guardian as a company have simply done something to shed further light on it and thus increase/keep readers/visitors.

I think it is good. Hopefully it will address misconceptions people have.

Soldato
OP
Von Luck said:

Even if the general press were biased, you don't address bias with opposite but equally polarised bias

Back
Top Bottom