Permabanned
Apparantly Patrick Moore has the lead part in the remake of the $6million man

gamesmaster.jpg

Soldato
Mephisto said:
1. Takeshi's Castle owns.
No arguement there.
Mephisto said:
2. Blaming women for the quality of today's TV is absolutely ridiculous. What an idiot to be honest.
I think he's just critising BBC - also, he's "blaming" it not just from the people running it, but the people watching it too.

PJW

PJW

Associate
Tbh Sir Patrick talks nonsense, he may be a ‘legend` I know he’s old and from another generation but it still doesn’t make what he says okay. Its funny that men who are quite intelligent haven’t yet grasped the concept of choice, changing channel or perhaps finding something more interesting to do than to watch the 'dummed-down' television to which they so strongly object. Sir Patrick is out of order on this one.

Soldato
I agree entirely with what he's said. TV and Films have become far to feminine. But I don't think it's that much of an issue because how many men actualy watch TV now? I'll watch maybe the news and that's about it. I see the action films and male entertainment of the future being Halo, GTA, Half Life, Resident Evil. In fact I'd say there 80% there already.

Totaly agree with the poster talking about the new Superman and Spiderman films. They were atrocious and don't do the original characters justice one bit.

Incidently anyone know if his comments have been reported on the BBC website?

Last edited:
Soldato
PJW said:
Tbh Sir Patrick talks nonsense, he may be a ‘legend` I know he’s old and from another generation but it still doesn’t make what he says okay. Its funny that men who are quite intelligent haven’t yet grasped the concept of choice, changing channel or perhaps finding something more interesting to do than to watch the 'dummed-down' television to which they so strongly object. Sir Patrick is out of order on this one.

Thing is TV has degenerated and devolved a hell of a lot since patrick first came became involved with it. All programs back in the 50's were made by highly intelligent people back in the 50's and there wasn't the cheap sensetialist programs that pollute the channels today back then. When you've worked in TV for over half a century and seen it detoriate into the soap opera, reality tv, advertisment, house buying crap it has it probably does make him want to speak out.

PJW

PJW

Associate
magick said:
Thing is TV has degenerated and devolved a hell of a lot since patrick first came became involved with it. All programs back in the 50's were made by highly intelligent people back in the 50's and there wasn't the cheap sensetialist programs that pollute the channels today back then. When you've worked in TV for over half a century and seen it detoriate into the soap opera, reality tv, advertisment, house buying crap it has it probably does make him want to speak out.
Yes it probebly does make him want to speak out.

The assumption that all programs made back in the 50s were made by people of higher intelligence is unfounded I think. I’m not sure how one could illustrate this. Also, I don’t think that the level of programming has necessarily altogether degenerated. It has merely changed reflecting the different tastes of its audiences. What I think is most disconcerting about his comments was not so much his attack on modern day programming but the sexist overtones that accompanied it.

Soldato
PJW said:
What I think is most disconcerting about his comments was not so much his attack on modern day programming but the sexist overtones that accompanied it.

Well considering most of the rubbish such as reality TV, soap operas, clothes, house, antique and adverts are aimed at women I don't think he was being sexist.

Suspended
magick said:
Thing is TV has degenerated and devolved a hell of a lot since patrick first came became involved with it. All programs back in the 50's were made by highly intelligent people back in the 50's and there wasn't the cheap sensetialist programs that pollute the channels today back then.
That would be back when the only broadcaster was the BBC then would it?

It seems that everything started to go pear-shaped when commercial television appeared on the scene and got seriously trashy when "The Dirty Digger"® with his cheap American trash was let loose in the Sky®.

PJW

PJW

Associate
magick said:
Well considering most of the rubbish such as reality TV, soap operas, clothes, house, antique and adverts are aimed at women I don't think he was being sexist.
You sure? even where he says "I would like to see two independent wavelengths - one controlled by women, and one for us, controlled by men" along with the rest insinuating that male programming and programs made by men are superior and are of higher quality.

On a lighter note, Its surprising how many men watch these supposedly rubbishy programs too, they wont admit it of course.

Soldato
PJW said:
Sir Patrick is out of order on this one.

No he's not, he just doesn't pussy foot, or skirt around the real issue.

He puts it bluntly, why do it any other way?

He's from the generation of real men, not this soppy bunch we're raising today.

PJW

PJW

Associate
Mr_White said:
No he's not, he just doesn't pussy foot, or skirt around the real issue.

He puts it bluntly, why do it any other way?

He's from the generation of real men, not this soppy bunch we're raising today.
I agree, Its nice to see he has the nerve to say what he thinks, but this doesn’t negate the fact that the content of what he has said is misinformed, archaic and downright chauvinist.

btw like the bit about him being from the generation of 'real' men.

Back
Top Bottom