OS X doesn't work with my wireless repeater

Associate
Hi. I've got a dlink wireless repeater which works fine with 2 pc laptops. Now i'm trying to use a powerbook with it (OS X) and it finds the network, tries to connect btu then says there was an error.

It works fine if it can see the wireless router (i.e. without using the repeater).

I've set it to DHCP and I've run out of things to try.

SHould this work? (i.e. can wireless repeaters be operating system specific?) or is it a case of configuring something?

Soldato
Got any security on it?

Mine gave the same error when I had MAC filtering on to stop my sister hogging the bandwidth. :p

Permabanned
Nothing Mac-specific as all the networking protocols involved here (TCP/IP, 802.11a/b/g) are platform independent. However Mac wireless cards are notoriously fussy about hardware that deviates from the standards even slightly.

My first recommendation would be to upgrade the firmware on your wireless access point, then ensure that you are running the latest firmware and all patches on your Mac and finally try setting up your wireless network connection manually on the Mac i.e. go to Other, type in the SSID and select WEP and enter the key by hand.

Soldato
I get this when my iBook is too far away from the base station :(

Allows you to enter PW and click connect but errors... :(

Only way to fix it was move ~ 5 meters closer lol

It might be trying to connect to the actual base station and not the repeater? I have no idea really tbh :(

Associate
OP
well I know that with windows, if there are two stations with the same SSID it will try and connect to the one with best reception (automaticaly).

Does osx not do this? or do I need to specify the mac address of the repeatrer? (and how would i do this in osx? i'm new to it).

Back
Top Bottom