Madeleine McCann - forward this to everyone

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
She would not have been kidnapped had she not been left alone, aged 3, in a hotel room in a foreign country.,
Agreed - If she had a babysitter, or the parents actually looked after the child then this would not have happend.

Someone must have been watching ane realised that the child had been left alone, putting temptation in the way so to speak, just like someone has said about leaving a MP3 Player on the bed in a hotel room, you wouldnt do it as when you get back you know its going to be gone.

Associate
Whilst I wish the girl to be returned to her parents I do not understand the mass prayers and the interviews with children at the school she was going to go to, they don't know her, it won't make any difference. It just seems in a situation like this people jump on the band wagon. I won't be forwarding the message.

Permabanned
inferno said:
Whilst I wish the girl to be returned to her parents I do not understand the mass prayers and the interviews with children at the school she was going to go to, they don't know her, it won't make any difference. It just seems in a situation like this people jump on the band wagon. I won't be forwarding the message.

Why not? It takes 30 seconds of your time and you do not *know* that it won't make a difference. There's an extremely slim chance that by forwarding it on, it may eventually lead to someone seeing it who does know information. Like I said, highly unlikely, but you still don't want to? :rolleyes:

Associate
Tried&Tested said:
She was kidnapped...don't blame the parents for that.
D.P. said:
damn well can blame the parents, the situation is entirely their fault and they should be thankful that the police are not detaining them over gross negligence
Got to agree. Yes the parent didn't force the kidnappers to take their child, and yes the kidnappers didn't have to do it, but it was the parents that gave them the opportunity by leaving the kids alone.

It's an awful situation and I wouldn't wish it on anyone... but it could have easily been avoided had the parents acted responsably.

A.

Associate
Reesy said:
There own foolish fault. :rolleyes:

Maybe, but if someone you knew or were close to went missing/kidnapped especially a child, wouldn't you pull out all the stops to try and find them? Tbh I think everyone should stop judging them as parents - yes they made a mistake - but now is not the time to say "you shouldn't have done that" or "it would have happened if you were there".

Associate
chet84 said:
Maybe, but if someone you knew or were close to went missing/kidnapped especially a child, wouldn't you pull out all the stops to try and find them? Tbh I think everyone should stop judging them as parents - yes they made a mistake - but now is not the time to say "you shouldn't have done that" or "it would have happened if you were there".

Sorry,but a mistake is forgetting to lock your front door,or letting you dinner burn in the oven while your busy doing something else there are many things that could be classed as a mistake,this however is negligence,which has resulted in an innocent young child being put in harms way.

There are laws in this country about leaving an infant alone..

Permabanned
iCraig said:
Why not? It takes 30 seconds of your time and you do not *know* that it won't make a difference. There's an extremely slim chance that by forwarding it on, it may eventually lead to someone seeing it who does know information. Like I said, highly unlikely, but you still don't want to? :rolleyes:

30 seconds of my time? Where am I meant to forward it to? All my friends on MSN who I know haven't been anywhere near Portugal recently? Sign up on random forums and spam it on there? Go on YouTube and do the whole "watch dis video or ** mum will die soon lollzz!" thing?

Fair enough if you know someone who has recently been in Portugal but apart from that there's no point.

Permabanned
I haven't watched the video but seeing as this girls picture is plastered all over the media anyway, what exactly is the video trying to achieve?

And yes the parents are clearly to blame for what has happened - it's common sense to not leave a 3 year old unsupervised (the fact it's in a foreign country is irrelevant).

Soldato
I hardly think someone with the ability to access a video on the internet is going have missed this news story.

So if that's the case, what exactly will it achieve?

Is it going to get sent to some boy in a cybercafe in portugal, who only gets to go on the computer every 3 weeks because he lives in an isolated village, who will then go back to his village. He'll see this girl in amazement and shout "kidnappo! kidnappo!" and she'll be returned home?

No.

Is it going to change the kidnapper's mind?
"Well hot-dang, I hadn't realised kidnapping a child would have such a negative effect on both her and her parents. I'll rectify my mistake immediately!"

No.

Soldato
Tried&Tested said:
:confused: it didn't help matters, sure, but it wasn't the cause. The action of leaving those children in the room alone did not CAUSE her to be kidnapped.

Of course it did.

So even if her parents were there, they would have said

"sure, you can take our three year old child". No they wouldn't have.

You don't leave children and babies in a cot alone for any periods of time, let alone in a foreign country. Being 200 yards away and checking on the children once every 30 mins is pathetic.

I'm only 20, don't have children but I've got more common sense to know not to leave children so young unattended, and I still wouldn't say I would be ready to support a child.

The fact these people are doctors, i.e professional people makes it worse.

I hope this poor girl is returned unharmed, and if she is then the parents should consider themselves bloody lucky and should seriously re-think their resposibilities towards their children.

Permabanned
Calder said:
Fair enough if you know someone who has recently been in Portugal but apart from that there's no point.

What about the people they'd forward it to, any of them been to Portugal recently? Or how about the ones that they might forward it to after that (people who you don't even know) or the ones who get it forwarded to after that? The amount of people grows exponentially each time and it's impossible to say who's going to eventually end up seeing the link.

Like I said, the chance is very very small, but it's an opportunity to help a little girl, and even though that opportunity is very minute and improbable, is it not worth doing? If you can't spare a few seconds to just forward a link to possibly aid a lost little girl, then you're quite selfish.

Also, to the people who aren't sending this link on because it was the parents' fault; I can understand why you're angry at the parents, but its not the girl's fault is it? The priority here is finding that girl. Pointing the blame can come later.

Permabanned
It's not a case of people not sending the link because it's the parents fault, people aren't sending it because it won't make a difference.

Like I said, her picture is all over the media, so what is this youtube video going to achieve?

Permabanned
Chrisss said:
It's not a case of people not sending the link because it's the parents fault, people aren't sending it because it won't make a difference.

How do you *know* it won't make a difference. Do you know that every single last person who will see the video. (Hundreds of thousands of people) will be a waste of time? Probably, but not definite.

Chrisss said:
Like I said, her picture is all over the media, so what is this youtube video going to achieve?

Extra exposure. There's a chance that someone who hasn't paid much attention to the news might see it in his email box and jog his memory. You never know, and there's a very slim chance it might help? So why not just spend 20 seconds of your life forwarding it? In the time it's took for you to write your last post you could have just sent it. :rolleyes:

Soldato
It isn't extra exposure though, the story is all over TV/Newspaper/Internet and Radio and if no one knows anything worth while through that kind of attention then this way isn't going to change that.

Why?

because the likes of TV/Newspaper and radio are accessable to more people than the internet, thats why.

Last edited:
Permabanned
iCraig said:
How do you *know* it won't make a difference. Do you know that every single last person who will see the video. (Hundreds of thousands of people) will be a waste of time? Probably, but not definite.
We could all pray and sing kum bay yah, which would be about as useful. I appreciate that you are trying to help but futile efforts help no-one.

Permabanned
Mekrel said:
It isn't extra exposure though, the story is all over TV/Newspaper/Internet and Radio and if know one knows anything worth while through that kind of attention then this way isn't going to change that.

What? Any added medium is extra exposure. If I printed off her face and stuck in on the back of my car and drove around town for half an hour, that would be extra exposure. I'm not saying that it's a massive boost of exposure, and by doing this Madeleine is suddenly going to be found, but you can't deny that every little helps, and in a desperate situation like this, why deny Madeleine and her family help even if it is in such a very small way?

Mekrel said:
because the likes of TV/Newspaper and radio are accessable to more people than the internet, thats why.

Most maybe, but not all. My friend doesn't have a TV license, he uses his TV for games consoles, he doesn't listen to the radio, and only buys a paper now and again. However, he's just as up to date as me, and in many cases more up to date than me with current events. He gets all his news and information from the internet. You also can't deny the power of the internet. Email, newsgroups, IRC networks, IM networks, message boards, all can spread information faster than most media networks can.

Back
Top Bottom