Removing akasa logo from front of Eclipse?

Soldato
Hi,

I'm going to be making a new logo for the front of my eclipse and need to remove the painted on akasa logo first. Has anyone done this with success and if so what did you use?.

img1411zk0.jpg

This is a logo i made from aluminum as a test, the one for my case front will be better than this (and will say akasa :D ).

I was thinking of getting some nitromores (sp?) but i have a bad feeling that it will melt the plastic front :eek: . The new logo will be made of brushed stainless steel and might be the same size so i can use anything that will leave a mark i.e wet and dry.

The only other thing i could do is make the letters exactly the same size or slightly bigger and stick over the top of the paint. I was toying with the idea of doing a handwriting style logo though so that would ruin that plan.

Ive also got some silver HIFI style feet to put on tomorrow, I'll post some pictures up once Ive done it.

TIA

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
If the adhesive used to attach it is a thermoplastic you might be able to soften it enough to remove it by heating the area with a hair dryer or some other spot-heater. If it's a thermoset you might be able to loosen it enough to get some solvent behind it to melt the adhesive. I'd be careful using solvents or other chemicals on the Eclipse as the front is plastic and might be susceptible to melting or other chemical damage. Before doing anything I'd test it first on a small area not visible, just as you're supposed to do before applying chemicals to garments, like the back of the panel.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply BillytheImpaler. I think my post is a bit confusing, the logo i need to remove is painted onto the plastic front with white paint or something.

img1859dt1.jpg

This is the logo i need to remove.

The Hiper logo above i made myself out of aluminum, i am going to make a polished stainless steel logo for the front of my eclipse.

The reason is i think it will look good and i find dremeling therapeutic lol.

eclipsebk2.jpg

I was thinking of cutting this out of brushed stainless steel.

Soldato
OP
Ahh thanks, I'll give this a try and if it doesn't work I'll get some IPA from the chemists. Ive been meaning to get some anyway for cleaning thermal compound off of heat sinks.

Soldato
OP
Dont use neil polish remover, it will not only remove the logo but will also cause damage to the plastic

I'm going to test on the inside first where it wont be seen. I have a feeling it will do just as you say tho due to the other chemicals in the nail polish remover, but thought id give it a go.

Soldato
OP
dont mean to high-jack this thread buts where is the best place to buy acetone

Ive found some on ebay at £3.40 for 250ml, thats inc delivery. I think i might get some as this nail varnish remover didnt do anything. I can always sell it to my sister if it doesnt work :D .

EDIT: £3.29 inc del
Still not cheap though.

EDIT 2: Ive just ordered 250ml of Isopropyl alcohol 99.99% from ebay for £3.98. I'll give that a try and if it doesn't work i'll gwt some acetone.

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH, you haven't a monkeys with Isopropyl.
Acetone should do the job just fine (Nail varnish remover is likely to be highly diluted), but my personal preference is for car brake fluid. Things to remember-
1. As cold as possible. The colder, the slower the reaction between the paint & the solvent. You only want to take off the top layer of logo, not anything underneat it.
2. Only use a tiny amount of solvent. It may be a little quicker to use more, but trust me- You run a huge risk of wrecking the underlying finish, so don't do it. A small drop off the top of a pinhead should suffice.

Your time and mileage may vary- It may be necessary to leave it 'stewing' for 5 mins upwards, all depends on precisely how they've done the logo & its relative thickness/ composition.

Sandpaper is a massive no-no as well unless you want to be repainting the front of the case :)

I do this all the time with tiny decals on models, which need to come off without damage to the underlying paintwork; Exactly the same principles.

-Leezer-

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info Leezer, I'll get a bottle of acetone as well then :) . I can use the Isopropyl alcohol to win drinking competitions and sell the remaining acetone to my sister for nail varnish removal :D .

Thanks for all the help. I'll post a thread with the results plus a few other mods I'm working on later this week.

Back
Top Bottom