Can anyone spec me a routine?

Soldato
Hi,

I have just redescovered mountain biking after having a break for a few eyars. And i'm loving it!

But I have two questions really:

Firstly I was wondering which muscles I am working when biking. It might sound obvious but I don't know. Does it work all of the muscles in my les or just some, and does it work any upper body?

Secondly, I don't want to grow the muscles that I am working out of proportion to the rest of me. So thats a good excuse for me to build myself up a bit. :cool:

At the moment i'm doing about 30 mins of hard riding every other day. So can anyone think up an excersize routine to work around this?

I want more muscle mass and the minimum fat for vanity / health / performance reasons I guess. I don't mind admiting that I want to look better for both me adn my girlie. :)

OK so heres some information that might help. I'm 6 foot and 13 stone. I would consider myself unhealthy as I do drink to lager and sit on my ass all day at home and work (untill I got my bike a couple of weeks ago). I eat quite a lot of protien I think, but I don't have breakfast because I rush for work.

So if you need any more information I will try to get it. I will be glad of any advise that you can give! Cheers!

Soldato
Biking wont build up your upper body at all, though it might train your abs and lower back a bit. If you want to build up your upper body you'll need to hit the gym, obviously, that's why you posted the thread right?

Soldato
OP
OK I think my initial post must have been rubbish. I'll just follow the sticky and do my biking in addition to that.

As long as regular hard riding wont mess up things because I won't really have the rest period which i understand is important. I'm gonna be riding pretty much every day.

I just didn't know if I would need a different guide to follow thats all!

Soldato
OP
OK Cheers.

Oh by the way... i'm almost embarrased to ask. Is there no way I can build muscle and loose fat at the same time. Or do I have to gain muscle and then cut / loose fat?

I don't like the idea of putting on any more fat while gaining muscle, I think I might get ripped at work, lol. :D

[edit] I'm not sure what Kate would say either! [/edit] :eek:

Associate
Pants said:
Oh by the way... i'm almost embarrased to ask. Is there no way I can build muscle and loose fat at the same time. Or do I have to gain muscle and then cut / loose fat?

I don't like the idea of putting on any more fat while gaining muscle, I think I might get ripped at work, lol. :D

[edit] I'm not sure what Kate would say either! [/edit] :eek:

Well to a degree it is possible, but the gains you would make would not be anywhere near what your looking for, you'd lose motivation soon after and not get very far.

You dont have to turn into a beefcake to put on muscle, if you eat clean (good foods) with a good diet (about 500kcals over your maintenance) you will limit the amount of fat you put on, and the amount of muscle gained will offset the small amount of fat you've put on.

Back
Top Bottom