New Macbooks

• Thread starter Deleted member 329
  • Start date
Soldato
Justin said:
They are certainly due for an update though, I don't think it will be anything major, but they may well bring out the Santa Rosa chipsets very soon. I think any big changes will happen along with Leopard being released.

Same here. I'm tempted to wait until Leopard, sell my PC and either get a HDTV to hook my MBP to or a Mac Mini. :p

But yea, I'm pretty sure it would be a better business plan to release the LED backlights etc in line with Leopard and just update a the chipsets and that for now.

Soldato
WotDa said:
Same here. I'm tempted to wait until Leopard, sell my PC and either get a HDTV to hook my MBP to or a Mac Mini. :p

But yea, I'm pretty sure it would be a better business plan to release the LED backlights etc in line with Leopard and just update a the chipsets and that for now.

Yeah they may not even reduce they chipsets until the Leopard release, but Apple is pretty unpredictable.

Also, I wander how many people have fallen for this http://www.appie.dk/macbookpro/

Soldato
Justin said:
Yeah they may not even reduce they chipsets until the Leopard release, but Apple is pretty unpredictable.

Also, I wander how many people have fallen for this http://www.appie.dk/macbookpro/

Mobile Xeon? Yes please!

Time to flip my laptop over and fry some eggs on it! :p

Tbh though, can Apple really wait until October to release Santa Rosa?

Last edited:
Soldato
WotDa said:
Mobile Xeon? Yes please!

Time to flip my laptop over and fry some eggs on it! :p

Tbh though, can Apple really wait until October to release Santa Rosa?

I doubt they will, they will probably bring it out very soon (hopefully) So I can buy a MBP in June :)

Associate
well now I have calmed down, when you think about it for Apple to release Santa Rosa in the low end Mac Book today would hurt MBP sales, I went and bought the top end BlackBook.

The way I see it I have got 166mhz more CPU, free N + 40GB extra HD space and all for 50 quid less then people were paying last week.

+a 3% quidy saving ;)

Soldato
JonB said:
Hopefully. I think most of the updates will be at WWDC.

...which is still about 4 weeks away :( I was hoping to hear some news on the update to the Pro range today so I can better judge whether to go for a straight Macbook or a Pro. I'm particularly interested in seeing whether anything will differentiate the two ranges more than they are now, seeing as they are even closer since this update :)

arty

Soldato
arty said:
...which is still about 4 weeks away :( I was hoping to hear some news on the update to the Pro range today so I can better judge whether to go for a straight Macbook or a Pro. I'm particularly interested in seeing whether anything will differentiate the two ranges more than they are now, seeing as they are even closer since this update :)

arty
My thoughts exactly, although I really don't like the look of the MacBooks, but the Pros are nice :)

I think I will hold out for the update to the minis, it must only be a matter of time now :)

Soldato
arty said:

arty

I'm sure the MacBook Pro will be upgraded very shortly, if not definatley at the WWDC.

Soldato
arty said:

arty

"Wow, 60 frames per second with all that action going on" :p

Other things;

Backlit keyboard (Winrar)
Motion sensor, for some reason, anyone?
Shiney aluminium-ness
Big ass display
Slightly faster cpu's.
Firewire 800

And that's about it, iirc, but it depends what you want from a laptop. :)

Associate
subxero said:
My thoughts exactly, although I really don't like the look of the MacBooks, but the Pros are nice :)

I think I will hold out for the update to the minis, it must only be a matter of time now :)

you really cant do much more with the mini then bump its specs a little ala macbook at the price apple are selling.

Soldato
V For Vendetta said:
you really cant do much more with the mini then bump its specs a little ala macbook at the price apple are selling.

Quiet desktop machine = win win.

I love my MBP, I also enjoy doing things on a slightly bigger monitor, what I hate is the noise my PC makes. :)

Soldato
I'm looking at getting a Macbook for myself for next uni year and a Mini for my parents. Intending to wait until the Leopard release though, no rush for either of them. Guessing that's the spec of Macbook that will be available to me in October then...

Soldato
gumbald said:
I'm looking at getting a Macbook for myself for next uni year and a Mini for my parents. Intending to wait until the Leopard release though, no rush for either of them. Guessing that's the spec of Macbook that will be available to me in October then...

Should be, maybe more. Who knows? Apple is always full of surprises.

Soldato
Justin said:
Should be, maybe more. Who knows? Apple is always full of surprises.

True, that's the only certainty I suppose. They don't put prices up or downgrade either so I'll get at least that specification.

Hoping for a decent upgrade on the Mini though, they seem to have forgotten about them recently...

Soldato
I like the form factor of the 15" MBP but I was put off with the original issues (heat, battery etc).

Maybe in October I'll switch from my desktop to a 15" MBP then just use the PC for BF2142, once that's EoL then give up gaming..

An update to the mobile R600-based graphics card would also be a boon, add solidstate 120GB drive, efficient effective cooling, good battery life and HDMI - that will do thankyou :D

Last edited:
Associate
WotDa said:
Quiet desktop machine = win win.

I love my MBP, I also enjoy doing things on a slightly bigger monitor, what I hate is the noise my PC makes. :)

IMHO apple need to bring out a MAC midi which is double the size of the Mini, the extra space should be used for a High end mobile GFX card, express card slot, FW800 and esata ports plus a HDMI

Man of Honour
V For Vendetta said:
IMHO apple need to bring out a MAC midi which is double the size of the Mini, the extra space should be used for a High end mobile GFX card, express card slot, FW800 and esata ports plus a HDMI

it's not a new idea really, but I don't think there's a market for it. As a desktop it eats too far into the imac space, as a media center it competes with the appletv too much. Don't get me wrong, I wish they would produce it and I'd buy it, but I think apple have their strategy laid out and this isn't part of it.

while we may consider it stupid, if we had that much insight, we'd be getting paid what steve jobs does...

Back
Top Bottom